Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Arrow GP 146/440 Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow GP 146/440
Arrow GP 146/440 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $35
Description: Arrow GP146/440 dual-band aluminum ground-plane antenna. 3/8 inch solid aluminum vertical elements for wide bandwidth. Stainless steel mounting hardware.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow GP 146/440.

KK4JPC Rating: 2/5 Mar 20, 2014 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Strong construction and cheap price, but unusably high SWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second Arrow product and the first I have had any issues with.

THE GOOD - The build quality and robustness are great. This would be the kind of antenna you could setup and leave up forever I'd think. Fit and finish are top notch. Customer service is pretty good. Tim, the owner, was fairly responsive to emails to troubleshoot issues.

THE BAD - SWR was initially between 1.9 and 2.1 on 2m and 1.7 to 5 on most of 70cm. SWR was 20-30:1 at the higher frequencies on 70cm. After repairs and troubleshooting it never really got to a usable SWR. I never could get the issues resolved.

My test steps involved three different coaxial cables between 12 and 15 feet consisting of RG8X, 1318FX and LMR400UF. I used a Yaesu FT-857D (SWR meter for this model from LDG) and VX-7R (external Diamond SX40C SWR meter) with very similar results.

Tim thought the coax might be an issue, but all testing with multimeter and the dummy load showed no problems. SWR was never higher than 1.2-1.3:1. Tim sent out another center connector and about a week later I retested. SWR actually got worse on 2m, but better on 70cm. 2m went to between 2.5-2.6 across the band and 70cm was able to stay between about 1.7 and 3.0.

At this point I suspected something was out of spec since I have a few homemade #12 THHN wire SO-239 socket soldered basic 1/4 wave ground planes for 2m and 70cm. Neither are higher than about 1.2:1 across their entire respective bands.

After spending several hours with it and the costs of the dummy load I gave up and turned the antenna into an experiment to see if I could get it fixed. By trimming the 2m element about 3/4 inch and bending the radials down to about 55-60 degrees I was able to get the best SWR on both bands. SWR settled in to 2-2.2 on 2m and 2-3 on 70cm. As good as it gets, but not usable.

The low price means it isn't a terrible loss, but the antenna just won't work. I hope that mine was just a fluke and not part of a bigger quality or design issue.

NP2L Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2013 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Solid Construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A simple antenna very well constructed with rigid aluminum stock. Easy to assemble. Performs just fine for my use with the local repeaters in the USVI, BVI and PR.

K2OWK Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this antenna for about a month now. It is mounted on a 10 foot schedule 80 1" PVC pipe tied to my deck. Total hight is about 15 feet. Performance is very good. Good SWR on 2 meters. Acceptable on 70 centimeters. Excellent hardware and excellent materials (solid aluminum). Goes together in about 1/2 hour with just an adjustable open end wrench. I highly recommended this antenna for local repeaters and the occasional skip. It also works well on satellites.

KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2012 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not everyone needs 6 + DB of gain on 2M or 70CM.
This antenna is built like a tank. Where I live, we have harsh winters with lots of wind, I have no doubt this antenna is a put up and forget antenna as long as the coax in well sealed and your pole well guyed.

The low radiation angle makes it perfect for the area I live in. I'm surrounded by some very tall mountains on 3 sides that 2M/440 just won't get over on simplex. I have a good 2M and 440 repeater on the one mountain at 9000 feet, so I can talk for many miles outside of the valley on the repeaters and the stout 1/4 wave will hit just about everywhere in the valley on simplex, I usually use a Yaesu 7900 and if 20 watts on simplex won't make the trip, 45 to 50 watts usually does the trick.

Some may need the additional gain that many other antennas have, but would be surprised at just how well a 1/4 wave antenna will do. The low radiation and omni directional pattern can be a huge advantage. It's at 55' and has open space around it.
For long range communications, I find using a repeater is the best way to go, for simplex, you will find this antenna will work in most situations.
Give one a try, you might just be surprised. With good coax (I use LMR 400), the SWR is very low on both bands

I might add I live in a rural area, so repeater use is not a problem. If you need every mile you can get on simplex, you may want to go to a higher gain antenna or do as I have done, I have the Arrow as well as a 144 beam for a few places that I need to punch signal through, it works great and all for less than $100. for antennas, I turn the pole with the beam by hand, it's right outside of the shack window. The best of Redneck engineering !

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2011 10:11 Send this review to a friend
SOLID  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my GP146/440 last year when I took down my rapidly deteriorating eggbeaters. The GP146/440 assembles quickly and is quite well built. It has survived a harsh Buffalo winter, and all types of weather in between. This antenna not only does a great job for local FM work and APRS, but is quite useable on the LEO satellites. I have used this antenna successfully on AO-51, NO-44, ISS, and have copied RS01S with it. It isn't great at sat work, but it can be done.

Overall, I would buy another one should this one fail...but I don't see it happening.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2010 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent base antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for about five years and I use it indoors mounted on a PVC frame that I built. I have great swr's and have never ever had any problems. I have the antenna at one end of my living room and the radio at the other end. Go ahead and buy one. If you need an in door antenna this is the one. The price is great too.

73's Mike, NØmud

WB0KFC Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2010 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a ham since 1973 and this is the 2nd antenna I have purchased - all others were homebrew. The GP assembles quickly and is very robust. I have it at 30' and it does a fine job on 2 meters. 440 the SWR is a little high but still ok for my 440 needs. I would buy more from this maker. Packed very well and shipped quickly.

AB0RE Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2009 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The GP146/440 is a great antenna - it's very durable and is something that you can put up and never have to worry about again. The quarterwave groundplane design is broadbanded and the radials provide for effective decoupling of the antenna from the feedline. The gain is VERY close to that of a J-pole antenna (the difference should not be discernable).

Regarding the previous review... if SWR is a problem it's likely that the feedline might have an issue causing high VSWR or that the antenna is interacting with a surrounding object. Hook a dummy load to the end of the feedline and do a sweep - if it raises about 1.1:1 you probably have a feedline issue going on.

Another reviewer mentioned the 1.5" mast limitation. With a little ingenuity (and a muffler clamp) the GP146/440 can be adapted to larger masts.

My only gripe about the antenna is that the red caps that go on the end of the element turn pink after being in the sun for a while (I want a MAN'S antenna, not anything with pink on it, hihi).

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to tune the antenna for the situations where surrounding objects or feedline problems de-tune the antenna. However, if moving parts were added to the antenna it's robustness would be compromised.

For the low price these are pretty nitpicky items. I looked for Arrow Antenna at Hamvention 2009 but never located him to purchase another antenna. :-(

Dan / ab0re

KJ4EOZ Rating: 3/5 May 19, 2009 14:26 Send this review to a friend
used 1 time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its ok . the SWR's alittle high but its ok .
I'll stay with my X-50A antenna

KC9BLT Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Well Built and effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two of these antennas. I sold one, was sorry and bought another. I push them up into my Drake Elm trees on fiberglass mast poles. They get banged around quite a bit and they keep working with low SWR's across the band on 2 meters. I am using one on packet now and it direct connects to stations 40 miles away where a 17 foot Tram I had would not! Anyhow I recommend these if you want something that you want to put up for a long time and not have to worry about. Also if you want to deploy and re-deploy, they are sturdy and will take abuse! Thanks for reading and CUL!