Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Alpha Delta 4 Position Antenna Switch Delta 4 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta 4 Position Antenna Switch Delta 4
Alpha Delta 4 Position Antenna Switch Delta 4 Reviews: 71 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $79.99
Description: Coax switch with lightning surge protection.
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta 4 Position Antenna Switch Delta 4.

K1PJR Rating: 3/5 Mar 17, 2013 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Jury is in  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my switch back from AD and it is better but the switching still feels a bit cheap. It works but the shaft still wobbles a bit. I guess it's just the design. It would be nice if they could incorporate a traditional rotary switch into their design. I wouldn't buy another unless I could try it out first.

DXSHORTWAVE Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for 15 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a variety of Alpha Delta DELTA in both our commercial and my amateur station for many, many years without a problem. I was talking to Jim at Alpha Delta several weeks ago to order several more switches and we were talking about customer "problems". He said 90% of repair returns are due to the customer over tightening the set screw over the D-4 gas tube. That will distort the thru-lines in the switch and cause malfunctions. He said their instruction sheets and WEB site say NOT to tighten the set screw from the factory setting. But, apparently people seem to tighten down the set screw any way.

The switches I use have never been fiddled with and work perfectly.

KA2LIM Rating: 2/5 Mar 14, 2013 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Original's-great / newer-need help  Time owned: more than 12 months
Currently have a total of 14 ( 4 and 2 position ) switch's in use at a contest station and at home. The old "original" AD switches work flawlessly. The newer one's are another story. I have had to repair several. Have had the plug inside melt because of a poor contact between the metal strips thus causing heat. Replaced the plug using teflon (not sure what it is they use) and adjusted the metal strips for correct alingment and contact and they are back working and no heat issue. Have to check and tighten the set screw on handel of every newer model. We use them because of a varity of operators and easy to switch to antenna desired. I would rate the original (older) AD switch at 5 and the current production 3. Also when I called and finally got to speak with someone who said they would send the part needed right out; well, its almost 2 years and I'm still waiting for the part.(rate that as 0)( in use for 10 years) For a solid contact at switching with no issue out of the box, use a Bird.

K1PJR Rating: 3/5 Mar 13, 2013 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Jury is out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm giving this switch a 3 for the time being. When it arrived the shaft was wobbly and the switching was not smooth. I emailed Jim Burns at AD and he said to send the switch to him and they would "make it right". It's been two weeks so I'm expecting that I should receive it soon.

What puzzles me is why they just didn't incorporate a rotary switch into the design. It is well built but the switching mechanism seems to be a bit suspect. After reading the reviews it looks like its a hit or miss experience with their switches. For $80 it should flat out perform with no issues.

Phil
K1pjr

W6OU Rating: 1/5 Mar 13, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Intermittent contact  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this switch. After I connected the rf cables to it I found position "1" was intermittent. When I switched to that position I had a 50-50 chance of making a connection. I didn't check the other positions. I removed the switch from use because I can't rely on it.

KF5BQJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2013 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Fine so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have read about the knob coming loose, mine was loose right out of the box. Not a problem though if that is all that's wrong. Only about a minute to fix. Working fine so far.
I mounted this one on a angle to a removable shelf. Seems like a solid product, we will see how it holds up.

KD4HTU Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2013 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First a little background. As a radio tech in the USAF I spent two years on a HF transmitter site. The site had 12 10KW and 1 2.5KW transmitters, about 20 antennas. There was also a 15x24 antenna switch matrix. I've had to repair that matrix from lightning damage several times.

This Alpha Delta switch I acquired used, it had lightning damage. I opened it up to inspect the damage. It was minor and easily cleaned up. I found the switch to be a little poorly designed where the connectors are concerned and corrected that. The straps were too close to shorting to the case. The actual switch is of good solid design. The strap design makes ample contact for the power it is rated.

K2JX Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months

HUH? Wobble and poor quality, geez you musta got one made on a Monday ! I own 2, 4p and 1 2p A-D switches and mine are top notch. All 3 have been in service for 2 plus years up to 750w PEP and through several near by lightning events without a peep. They are low loss, no cross talk, well made items in my opinion, maybe you could ask for a replacement ?

AC4NL Rating: 0/5 Feb 13, 2013 20:55 Send this review to a friend
Don't risk your equipment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first item noticed was how much wobble exists in the selected switch position. Lots of movement after a switch position is selected.

Once you remove the cover you will be
amazed how horrid cheap and a poor build / design these switches are. No wonder Alpha Delta puts a sticker asking you not to remove cover.

The switch design is based on two flat metal strips, with tension, making contact. No actual switch contacts. The flaw is the metal strips are not parallel, to each other, and only a very small surface area makes contact (a pin touch) in some switch positions. With the switch wobble that that exists, in the switch housing, this makes for a very very risky switch to use.

Don't risk you nice 3-10K radio on these cheap switches. Even the MFJ switches are much better.

AC4NL

KG7OF Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own multiple 2 position and 4 position switches. They have never given me any trouble aside from the selector knob coming loose periodically. I use these switches a lot so I expect this. No worries. I have used MFJ switches in the past and has issues with the internal contacts. Stick with the Alpha Delta switches.