Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure 55S Unidyne Dynamic Mic Help

Reviews Summary for Shure 55S Unidyne Dynamic Mic
Shure 55S Unidyne Dynamic Mic Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $160
Description: Elvis style mic.

You can write your own review of the Shure 55S Unidyne Dynamic Mic.

W4EAL Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2011 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Best of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 55S is NOS. I would not trade it for any other mic. I also own EV 664's and the 55S is the winner hands down. Came in original packaging with the cover bag, cable, warranty card, spec sheet. Not a scratch on it. I have tried this on several rigs with complements galore. Mine has the H M L selector so will match most inputs. It is mounted on a Luxo boom arm. Has that sitting "next to to you" presence. Not loud but clear. If you get a chance to buy one...just do it.

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2010 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Too good for a radio. Excellent sound and good output. Not to mention how good it looks. This is one of my favorite microphones for live recording. They are inexpensive for what you get. If you can get a working one used for a good price, do it, or just buy it new. You won't regret it. Mine is the 55SH series 2 model.

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2007 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Nice Reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I recenty bought a Shure 55s mic hooked up to my Kenwood TS-940SAT, I used a heil 3pin xlr to 8pin kenwood connctor.
Reports on my audio have been better than average so I'm told. On monitor, this mic sounds fine. The settings for mic gain & processing are higher when compared to lets say a MC-60a kenwood desk mic. This shure mic is about 300ohms so maybe that will explain that.
It does have enough to properly drive my TS-940SAT. With an EQ setup, I'm sure this mic's audio would be that much better.

73, K1WJ

N4LGH Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2006 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Ham Mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had a bunch of 55S's and other flavors of the '55 over the past few months of collecting and refurbishing. Somewhat erroneously known as the 'Elvis' microphone, this is indeed a very attractive and functional device.

The real issue with the sound, as with all of these mics, is the impedance. Some were low impedance and others were high impedance. Some had a "L M H" switch which is *really* nice for matching to your rig. Like your antenna system, your audio likes to match impedances; radio, line and mic.

I've found my 55S, 55B and others work great with my FT817 and FT857. It is kind of funny to see a station where the mic is bigger than the rig hihi. I had to back the audio setting for FM way down - factory seting is '50' of a possible 100, but mine works best set at about 30. SSB worked great with a lotof punch with the setting at 50.

If you have the chance to pick one up, Id suggest you do so. Even if you have to do some work on it, I'm sure it will become the showpiece of your station.

You can still get these mics NEW from Shure, but you can find vintage units on EBay for under $100 for the most part.

There is a guy that calls himself the Mic Doctor that Shure actually refers people with those older mics to. He has the shock mounts, silks, connectors, logos and rebuild kits for a reasonable price. Google out 'micdoctor' and you'll find him. He also has an EBay store.

Tracy N4LGH

N3ZKP Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2005 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Good Sound, agreed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am fortunate to have a pair of them and have had them for 30 years. I've used them for PA, for stage performers and for recording. I must admit I've never put them on a radio, though.

That may change, I'm trying to decide whether to put one on my KWN-2A or go looking for an EV-664, just like in the Collins brochure. :)

Although not designed for SSB, it should sound very good with older tube rigs.

WA0ZZG Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2005 10:53 Send this review to a friend
The OLD AM sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago, I was fortunate to come by an
elderly widow lady that was moving from her house
to an apartment. She was cleaning her attic and
found one of these, new, still in its original
box. I found out that her husband had worked
sales for Sure Brothers many years before. She
was about to toss it. I talked her into giving
it to me in exchange for helping her. What I got
was an original 55S with the original matching
desk stand. Opening it revealed that many years
in a hot attic had paid a toal. I called Sure,
and they recognized her name. They sent me
parts for free. The only part not in stock were
the rubber shock mounts. There's a gentleman
in Florida that hand makes these. Check for him
on ebay. They're easy to rebuild. The original
element(interior) was fine.
These were intended as a public address mic and not even for commercial broadcast. On SSB, they
will not have much punch, but have the smoothest
sounding audio found. Do very little processing.
Otherwise, it will sound muddy. Sit back from
it. It has a lot of low end boost up close. The
early AM DJ's used this to an advantage. The
element is also very directional. Designed to
match a balanced tube input but easy to rewire.
I have the slide switch set up for PTT. A local
station wants me to put it back to original so
they can try it on the air. I'm not yet ready
to part with it.
Dave...

K4JJL Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2002 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Very nice natural sounding audio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Found it in a trash pile with rotten foam inside. I scraped out the foam and lined it with a black cloth and hooked it to my Yaesu FT-920. No impedence matching required. Have received nothing but complements on the audio. Most say the audio is so natural, it's as if I was in the room talking to them face to face. Not produced since the 60's, but I have heard of replicas being sold at music stores. (Mars Music, etc.) I have seen them at hamfests for around $100. If you see one, get it, even if it is in bad shape. It can be cleaned up. Because of the heavy metal grill, this mic is almost indestructible.