Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | T.G.M. Communications MQ-36SR 3 element "Hybrid Quad" beam Help

Reviews Summary for T.G.M. Communications MQ-36SR 3 element "Hybrid Quad" beam
T.G.M. Communications MQ-36SR 3 element Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $550
Description: Mini 3 element beam for 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 and 6 meters
More info: http://www3.sympatico.ca/tgmc

You can write your own review of the T.G.M. Communications MQ-36SR 3 element "Hybrid Quad" beam.

VA3AQB Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2012 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Great for its size!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this for its compact size, works great!!
shines on 15m & 17m, SWR is fine on 10m,15,17m no tuner needed, 20m SWR is narrow.
Very easy to tune for each band, only real issue I have is the SWR freq shift when it rains, other people don't seem to have any issues.
On 10m is where this antenna works best, just using 100watts get great reports from Europe and Asia.
Tom at TGM is always there if you have a issues! Great service.

G1HJW Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 12:00 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA FOR SMALL SPACE LOT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for near 3 years now and its performance is really good for its size, so many bands in a small neat package that even the neighbors like.

Its SWR is below 1:5:1 on all bands apart from 6m which I use a separate 6m/4m duel band beam for anyway.

The only point I would say is get it up and in the clear, I use a tenna mast fitted to the back wall of my home and when its wound up to full height the antenna is around 40ft in the air and the antenna really gets out, but when its wound down its no more than 6ft or 7ft above the roof and the performance really does drop off.

Its well put together and though others mention weather problems, the only time I have had weather problems is when the antenna got some what iced up and the SWR shot up, soon as the ice went away swr went back to normal.

DX-worked include: 5H3,VU2,FG5,V47,KH6,ZF2,XU7,XV9,ZM4,C5,PZ5 and many, many more, and I think that in its self shows what can be done with this Antenna.

K5ZZR Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2010 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Does just what it says....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the MQ-26 for about 3 years now on a 35' mast and am very pleased I found this little honey. I previously was in a remote isolated area near Death Valley and was using Cushcraft A3S and the A4S mounted on a 40' tower, so I was not expecting much from my 26. Boy was I pleasantly surprised when the contacts started rolling in. If I could get away with it here (XYL) I'd go back to the Cushcraft in a heartbeat but in my current situation the 26 performs well enough to keep me happy. Just dont' forget why we bought this compromise to begin with and you'll be satisfied.... Tom did good.....

N2QQF Rating: 3/5 Apr 28, 2008 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Three Element 5 band version that I recently sold. I must admit i was not too happy with the performace of this antenna. I guess maybe i was asking for too much or maybe the antenna was just a compromise. In all fairness, I bought this antenna used and it appeared to be built ok. Anyhow the only band i did notice good to very good perfomrace was on 10 meters and just Ok on 20 meters. The antenna did also work pretty good on six-meters but again not great. I would give this antenna a higher rating but it price is just way too insane for this type of performace. I feel for less money you can get a good beam or maybe just a little more you can get the 5 band Mosely which is much better quality and performace and is and has been a very reputable company.

VA3CR Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2006 23:58 Send this review to a friend
Very Good for it's Size  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned the 2 element version first and then added the third element. Of course this antenna will not work like a 4 element mono bander, but it does work quite well on 6 bands. I like it's small size and that it has 6 bands. It works very well on 20, 17 and 15 metres. I have worked 184 countries on this antenna and compared to my G5RV I often get 7 Sunits better with the Hybrid Quad. I will be bringing it down next year for a retune with the new tuning directions from TGM Communications which should improve it further. This is a perfect antenna if you have a small lot. Had the 2 element version at 30 feet. Now have mounted the 3 element version at 50 feet and it works noticably better.

KK7WN Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2004 13:25 Send this review to a friend
works well if mounted high  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this antenna for about 8 years. At first I had it mounted at about 18 'and while directional, it was a mediocre performer at best. I then was able to raise it on a mast to about 30'.At this greater height the performance was significantly improved. Much greater directivity with very noticable gain, especially on 15 meters.In summary, this is a good directional antenna where you have space and size limitations and can mount it at least 30' in the air.Of course this antenna does not have theperformance of a full size yagi or large wire antennas mounted high in the air. However, if you live on a small lot and can mount it high in the clear, it is an improvement over lower wire antennas.