Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Spiro PB-1-C Help

Reviews Summary for Spiro PB-1-C
Spiro PB-1-C Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: Deluxe connectors require NO soldering, NO jumper wires.
Stainless Steel eye-hook for easy mounting.
The PB-1-C is a current type balun, rated at 3000 watts+, it also covers160 & 6 meters(1.5/55 Mhz)

More info: http://www.spiromfg.com

You can write your own review of the Spiro PB-1-C.

WW3K Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2012 15:41 Send this review to a friend
RUGGED CONSTRUCTION  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are at least three (3) things I like about this balun versus other commercially available types:

1. Rugged construction and antenna connectors which are unrivaled among its competitors (albeit, it DOES cost a lil more)

2. It is CURRENT balun and not a Voltage balun, and therefore, will effectively eliminate common mode currents on your coax (into balanced doublets that is)

3. It is rated to work from VHF all the way down to 160 meters (few competitors can claim this)

As for how 'bullet proof' it really is as far as input power handling capability under severe swr (off resonance operating) excursions are concerned, I have never fed more than 1 KW into it off resonance, so can't comment on it's power handling capability. However, I CAN tell you that I have yet to have one fill up with water and fail, as many other baluns I have tried have so failed.

KI7K Rating: 0/5 Apr 2, 2007 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Junk!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Balun was up for only 4 days. The SWR was flat at resonance and when I applied full power from a TL-922A (about 1350 watts output) to it I saw the SWR creep upwards after only 15-20 or so. The receive signal went away so something died. I moved the coax to another port on the remote coax but same problem. Re-installed the non-balun type center insulator and the antenna is back in business. I opened up the balun to find only small 16ga enameled wire is used and no ferrite rod or beads. Only a thin wall PVC tube to form the 1 inch coil. Even the wires from the coil to the posts are from zip cord. I looked closely and found a burn spot and it had shorted out. Pure Junk!!!! The only part of the balun I was impressed with are the posts that really hold the antenna wire very well. Stay away! What we can't see can hurt us.

W5DJA Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2006 10:10 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hve two of the PB-1-C, they have peformed as advertised and no problems on dipole or trap-dipole.
Hi power or low power. Also work great to match random wire for SWL Gen Cov Recvr.

AD5JN Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2002 10:00 Send this review to a friend
I like the NO soldering!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great. Well built. I bent my antenna wire in a u-shape and lightly tinned it with solder. I placed the ends in the brass holder and on the air I went. Fast shipping and paypal is fine for payment.
AD5JN