Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | DYC-817 Speech Compressor Help

Reviews Summary for DYC-817 Speech Compressor
DYC-817 Speech Compressor Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $45
Description: External dynamic compressor kit for FT-817/857/897
More info: http://www.box73.com

You can write your own review of the DYC-817 Speech Compressor.

WB9OQB Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2003 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Great product! This kit is fast, easy, and works great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the kit in about two weeks from the time I ordered it. It took me about 3 hours to put it together, of which one hour was spent messing with the ribbon cable. (Difficult but not impossible) The unit works great - I can see a significant increase on my field strength meter and every contact that I have made since has stated that the compressor gives a 1-2 s-unit increase to my signal. I also like the fact that I didn't have to tear into my microphone or radio which are still under warranty. All in all it is well worth the 29.00 dollars invested.

N3PN Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2002 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Works Great - when you get it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it- finally. The only confirmation (after the order was placed on the web) was an email that said there would be a delay of a couple weeks due to part availability. I did not get replies to follow up emails. I got a nice reply when I called Berlin by phone! It did arrive as they said about 3 weeks after the order.
Now for the circuit, aside from a couple English translation errors, the instructions are clear and simple. The parts are good quality. The unit works well. Signal reports are usually a full S unit higher with it on. I like the off switch for FM use.
That ribbon cable others mention deserves a comment. I am glad they put a piece in the kit for "training" as it states. I found the dimensions good but I did not strip the small wires by cutting but instead applied heat of the solder iron to the wire tip and let it shrink back. I got the cable in the first try after I tested this method. So it works great but a delay and silly cable are potential issues.
73 Nelson

VR2XMC Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2002 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Great product but customer services needed improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this kit on 13 September 2002 but heard nothing from the manufacturer since then. I faxed and emailed them many times but no response.

Surprisingly, the kit arrived yesterday after nearly 3 months. Airmail took 3 months from Germany to Hong Kong ??. I used 3 hours to complete the kit and the result is great. Both the PCB and the components quality are excellent.

I compared it with the One Big Punch of W4RT. They both used the simple speech processor IC and the performance is similar. The OBP is to be built inside the hand mic MH31 whereas this kit is an externally unit.

Depending on how handy you would prefer, the kit has the merit of adjustable mic gain and compression gain. The price is much cheaper than OBP but you have to wait soooo long.

I give it a 4 instead of 5 to reflect the lengthy waiting time.

Johnny VR2XMC

N6AF Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2002 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Anyone tried it with the FT-100D ?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Has anybody tried using the DYC-817 with the
FT-100D ? This will be with the original FT-100D hand mic.
Thanks for any information.
73 N6AF Chas

VE6SZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2002 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Great product...not aware of current shipping problems.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I too obtained one of these compressors....albeit about 4 months ago. Therefore, I'm not aware of some of the current shipping problems (as expressed in comments below).

Taking this into consideration....if you do happen to get you hands on one of these items, it will perform remarkably well!!!! A big improvement in the "punchiness" of the audio signal.

As far as kit building goes....this was the first kit I ever put together....it was very simple......EXCEPT when it came to soldering the flat 8 conductor cable which connects the RJ-45 connection to the PC board (as someone mentioned below). This can prove very frustrating.......extreme patience is required here.

M5TAW Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2002 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Transformed the 817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this kit after reading an article on eham.net about it. It arrived within days and I put it together in about 1 hour? Soldering the cable connections to the main PCB was the most difficult part. I am no expert kit builder and I was pleasantly surprised that this worked first time (there is little to do wrong!).
My 817 audio is transformed! I use Heil inserts hc-4 & hc-5 which do not appear to have a very high output. Previously my output on average was about 1 watt, it is now approx 4 watts. Listening on my second receiver, I simply disappear when the processor is turned off. This has got to be the most cost effective addition to the 817, I use my 817 so much more now that I am heard! I receive good audio reports and people are surprised that I am QRP into a dipole. Recommended!!

WF8X Rating: 2/5 Sep 21, 2002 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Is it good?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will never know if the DYC-817 is any good. Construction of the kit goes good up until installing the 8 wires for the RF45 cable. The stranded wires are very stiff, hard to strip, and very difficult to get into the small holes on the circuit board. I tried three times, re-cutting the cable each time, but by then had damaged the circuit board solder pads. The board, already stuffed with components, was no good. I threw the whole works in the trash and counted the $29 as a bad expenditure. I am not a novice kit builder by any means, but I have no interest in even trying to build another DYC-817.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2002 14:27 Send this review to a friend
I get good audio reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on the first review of this unit I ordered one and received it quickly from Germany. Unfortunately, I fried it after constuction because I applied power with the wrong polarity to test it. Duh! I ordered a second unit and avoided my stupid mistake. By the way, the kit was no problem, although soldering the connection wires is a bit delicate and patience is needed. Of course, I had practice the second time around.

I made the suggested mods to reduce the minimum level of processing and any susceptibility to stray RF (I work portable a lot). I kept the pots at their center settings. I put my FT-817 on an OHR wattmeter to look at the difference between on and off for the processing. Running at the 5 watt power setting with the stock Yaesu mike in position #1 and the processing off the peaks were around 2 watts. With the processing turned on the peaks moved up to 4 watts, about the same as my Heil 817 Traveler's boom mike.

I then used the unit for several QRP phone contacts and got at least a couple of unsolicited complements on my audio, plus other favorable comments after asking. I am very satisfied and think this is a definite must-have for the FT-817 owner. And the price can't be beat.

Andy, N1KSN

KL7AC Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2002 18:16 Send this review to a friend
An FT-817's best friend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Knut, DG0ZB has put together a really nice external processor for Yaesu's already classic FT-817. Based on Phil's (AD5X) design he has improved upon it and offered it as a very affordable kit.

The kit comes in a small plastic bag. All components including a very nice silk screened board were present. It took about an hour and a half to construct the kit. The most difficult part you will find is attaching the 8 wire RJ-45 type cable to the board. The SMD IC's are already installed so no worries about having to break out the magnifying glass.

The unit has an on and off switch on the side of the enclosure to take the unit out of circuit when on the VHF bands running FM. My favorite extra feature is the tone generator, key the mike and press the DWN button on your mike. With your other hand tap the TUNE on your Z-11 and you are ready to go! It in no way impairs any of the microphone's functions.

Performance has been wonderfull with all stations commenting on how much punchier the audio sounds. Much easier for them to hear the small QRP 5W signal. All in all just about the best bang for the buck I have EVER spent on a radio accessory! At 22 dollars a steal, oops add 7 bucks for shipping.

Andre KL7AC