Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil ICM Help

Reviews Summary for Heil ICM
Heil ICM Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $89.99
Description: New high performance electret mike for ICOM older transceivers
More info: http://info@heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil ICM.

W3ON Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2017 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Hum Problem Fixed I Think  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hmm. I have been experiencing a Hum on my transmit signal for quite awhile. I have tried several suggestions made here in the review section, including trying to move the mic shield connection from pin 7 (mic ground) to pin 6 (ptt ground). That did not help. My problem was intermittent. Many times their was little to no hum. Other times it would all of a sudden appear and be very loud. So, at a friends suggestion, I tried scraping the connection between the mic element leads at the mic element. Since then, I have not noticed any hum, although I can hear a tiny hum using my IC756 III Monitor function. So, I am hoping that took care of this problem. I have read, here in the review section that many others have had problems with the ICM mic wiring at times. Personally I like the ICM microphone.

VA3VMD Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2016 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Heil ICm with IC-7300 - Simply Superb!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally pulled the trigger on a desk mic for the ICom 7300. The Heil ICm matches superbly and is specifically designed for ICom radios and drives the radio very well. I also purchased the Heil-FS3 PTT footswitch and a knockoff desk boom stand.

I was originally hesitant on moving away from the stock mic because of its great audio sound but after 3 months of research, testing and deliberation, I concluded that the HEil ICm was the best bang for the buck and fit for me.

After installation, I immediately received exceptional reports from all contacts made. Local operators also commented on the "broadcast" quality sound I was achieving. One distant operator recorded our QSO and sent it to me.... WOW it sounded great!

7300 Settings:
Mic Gain = 70
Compression = 2
Bass = 0
Treble = 2

Would definitely do this purchase over again. A SUPERB match for the IC-7300.

VA3VMD

KC4BW Rating: 1/5 Sep 25, 2016 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Not Impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the ICM mike for my ICOM 7200. I had to set the mic gain at no more than 5 or 6%, and the compression at 3. The audio sounded decent and I could keep the ALC from going overboard at these levels. If I set the mic and compression levels at the factory default settings everyone I talked to said my transmit audio was distorted. I figured I would have to back the levels off since this radio is a newer model and doesn't have the low audio problems as the older model ICOMs.
The main problem I have had is when I use my headphones and I transmit I hear a hum in my headphones. If I use the hand mic that came with the radio or the SM-30 ICOM desk mic there is no hum when I transmit. I sent an email to Heil Customer Service and to date I never got a response. I then decided to look into the issue myself and checked the manual to see which pin on the 8 pin mic jack on the radio is ground. Pin 6 is ground and taking the mic plug apart on the original hand mic showed that the shield of the mic cable was connected to pin 6. That made perfect sense. However, on the ICM mic the shield is connected to pin 7. So I unsoldered the shield from pin 7 and resoldered it to pin 6 and that solved the problem, no hum during TX. I did have to increase the mic gain from 5 up to 15% as a result to keep the ALC meter up to just below max. I did not have to increase the processor level.
I have received good reports concerning my audio since the modification of the microphone. And now since the SHIELD IS GROUNDED LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE, I am pleased with the outcome.
If I were to rate Heil's Customer Service I would put it at "0." And workmanship at 2, that's why I gave it an overall 1.

W9JTC Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2016 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Coming from an HM 12 to the ICM on my IC-718 all I can say is it was worth it. The audio reports are great and not having to use the compression and have the gain at 90% is nice. Now I can keep the ALC in the sweet zone easily. Very well made and looks nice too. My only complaint would be that the cord is part of the mic so if you have an issue with the mic cord it is not as easy to just switch cords.

W5CSM Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2016 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Reports, Delivers On Promises with one small annoyance.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Running the iCM on a Heil HB-1 into an IC-7410. My only complaint is that I had to de-solder and re-solder the wiring in the microphone in order to run the cable inside the channel in the HB-1 boom. What's an hour for a nice clean installation. A solid performing microphone that always delivers great reports. I would highly recommend this setup.

KB3SI Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2016 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On the advice of others, I got one for my new ICOM 7300. Works much better than the 781 I had been using on my 7600 and then my 7300.

The Icm is designed for ICOM radios which have lower gain audio boards, which is why it works so much better with my ICOM 7300.

WA4JM Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2016 17:24 Send this review to a friend
IC-718 with icm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered mine from AES Orlando. Arrived nicely packaged. Installation was straight-forward as expected. Configured the 718 as described on the Heil site with some small tweaks. Mic gain was reduced from Max to 70%. I used no processing. When monitoring the ALC on the 718 it maintained in the 75% range with me speaking about 3 inches from the mic.Looking at my "peak hold" meter on my AT4K it was easily achieving full power. Talking to my regular rag chew guys through lightning static here in Florida on 100 watts, I had no audio issues. In fact I got compliments. Why only a 4 Rating you ask? I will re-evaluate in 6 months to see if anything has changed. Aside from that, I am pleased with my purchase.

73, me

EA4BNB Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2016 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Great mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the ICM with an old ICOM-761 and get outstanding reports even when I don't ask. Never received so many comments on my audio. At the same time, I had to reduce the mic gain about 30-40. I worked with this 60 new countrys at 100 W and a DXetreme antenna. Highly recomend

VA7JH Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2016 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Never Worked Right  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this microphone new a few years back, to help me drive an old but awesome IC-751. It barely worked better than the HM-36 hand mic and that was using a 100% mic gain setting. If I switched in the compressor, I would get no drive at all with the ICM but lots on the good old HM-36. Now that I have a newer IC-7200, I tried it on that rig, seeing that Heil recommends the ICM for that rig as well. This time, the drive is way better on the HM-36 hand mic. Maximum 20 watts out with the ICM (mic gain at 100% and the compressor at 30%).Go figure....Save your money. Heil is a 4 letter word meaning "Hype".

K6RQR Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2015 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Icom 718 booster  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought this Heil mike to be a replacement for the mediocre HM-36 mike that came with my Icom 718. From the first transmission when I was watching the power output reading on the meter I could tell how much better it was driving the rig. My wattmeter also showed that the average power out was visibly higher and the audio reports made me feel as if I have made the right choice.
I read on the Heil website that the iCM was a very good match for the particular mike preamp stage in the 718. That does seem to be true. The best reaction came from a fellow ham when I tested the new mike. He said - "It's a keeper!"