Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil ICM Help

Reviews Summary for Heil ICM
Heil ICM Reviews: 70 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $89.99
Description: New high performance electret mike for ICOM older transceivers
More info: http://info@heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil ICM.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2015 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its well done electret mic units give a smooth high gain well balanced audio from a very low roll-off freqs up to over 10K and this ICM is not an exception.
This is the third I own, have the tendency to give them away to friends who visit me and love it when see it working.
My only radio at the shack is Eecraft K3 and so far its the best audio I have had with other different mics, the rolloff after been EQ'ed start on 60 Hz and ends at around 4000 Hz becauae the K3, limited to 4Khz BW.
The audio gain is so low that I have to use the low gain setting in the K3. Luckly the pin 1 audio out and pin 7 mic ground are identical in Icom and K3 so I did not have to do any change in the 8 pins mic connector.
Its a great mic that works fine with the Elecraft K3 for less than hundred bucks.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the ICM with an ICOM-718 and get outstanding reports even when I don't ask. The output of the mic is more than sufficient to set the mic gain around 50, without the processor on.
I have an external PTT switch built into a small utility box and fixed to the bench, with both a momentary switch and a regular SPDT rocker switch (for long winded talk). So I do not use the 'soft feel' PTT on the mic, although I tried it a couple times.
It's a super sounding mic and looks good too.
Thanks for reading. Joe.

LA8KHA Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2014 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This mic.is superb to Icom IC-775DSP.Period.

AD4DZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2014 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Good mic, works great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using the ICOM SM-30 on my ICOM 7100 and was continually getting reports of a metallic, rattling sound and then it started sticking and I couldn't unkey. I decided to try the Heil ICM and I really like it. I have it mounted on the Heil base and like that I can use the base ptt or the soft touch button on the mic. Very happy with this mic.

W4ATK Rating: 3/5 Jan 9, 2014 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Just Died  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Heil ICM just quit. No audio. PTT works fine. Mic is about 1 year old. Plugged the hand mic in that came with my IC-9100 and everything flies, so it has to be the ICM. Very disappointing.

N4JTE Rating: 3/5 Jun 24, 2013 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Great audio, lousy ptt  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic audio reports always on 751a and 718,
HOWEVER: I have just ordered my 6th icm due to the same faulty ptt switch problem, I hate footswithes so I just give them away !
I mentioned this to Heil at Dayton 2 years ago and he said he would look into it, guess he ain't had time yet.
Bob
N4JTE

N0JR Rating: 3/5 Dec 21, 2012 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Good sound, weak construction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned two of these. After about a year the ground connection in the hardwired mic cable went bad. Thought this was probably an aberration, since I had never had any problems with Bob's plug-in mic cables in the past. When the second one developed the same problem after about the same length of time it became clear the problem was no aberration. Be prepared to treat the ICM mic cord with much TLC. I have since gone to the Icom SM-50, which I consider a better mic in ALL respects.

W2NJU Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2011 21:46 Send this review to a friend
This mic rocks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob Heil personally recommended the ICM for my Icom IC-208H and IC-V8000 rigs. The first if the vhf/uhf rig and the second VHF only. During a recent simplex qso, I dropped transmitter power to minimum and listened to my audio on my HT. There were more low frequencies in there than I would get from the Icom stock mic and I gained several dB loudness. I just finished a qso on my club repeater and the fellow I was talking to said, "You've got SOME audio there, Very loud and crisp." Is it "hi-fi" audio? No. It's good communications grade audio. I don't think you can get that ballsy AM audio with or allotted FM bandwidth. But if you have an Icom FM transceiver, the Heil ICM will indeed make it sing.

LA9BM Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2011 13:45 Send this review to a friend
A lot of nice audio reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob Heil himself recommend the HEIL iCM to my IC-7000. Spend some time testing different SSB TBW. By 300 - 2700 Hz, I got the best audio report. Quite often in QSO, I am told that the audio is very good. Never received so many comments on my audio. At the same time, I had to reduce the mic gain to 15% by 25% COMP. This seems to be the optimum setup for this rig and microphone.
The HEIL iCM looks nice in good color.
Highly recomend the iCm to the IC-7000 and probably also to other ICOM rigs.

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 21:35 Send this review to a friend
First impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Operating a Non-Pro ICOM-746, no amplifier with an elevated, roof mounted HF6Vx Butternut vertical.Purchased the ICM from HRO Anaheim, CA and have used the ICM for 1 day now.

The finish on the microphone is top shelf and comes with a wind screen cover and a pig tail for a foot switch if desired. Fabricated my own boom from a desk lamp boom and works outstanding and swings out of the way with ease.

The only thing lacking was the mic clip which holds the mic to the boom. It did not seem to hold well so I replaced it with a new $3. clip from the local music store, which works perfect and is very secure.

Tuned up on a dummy load and listened on a second receiver, set the tone at 10, the compression at about 10 o'clock and set the rigs mic gain at about 9 o'clock or about 1/4 open. The mic seems to drive the audio very well at only 1/4 open on the gain. First reports were unsolicited and mentioned the audio was very good.

The mic also has a soft touch push to talk button on the mic, but I purchased the Heil HS-3 foot switch for about $24, which I have not hooked up yet.

I have been using VOX and the mic seems to responds very well to the non-pro 746 VOX controls.

First impression so far is this seems to be a very good product with very good audio.

In approximately 1 year I will again review this product at this site.

Dan