Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8900R
Yaesu FT-8900R Reviews: 177 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $469.95
Description: 10M, 6M, 2M & 440Mhz Quad Band Radio with Dual Band Receive.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/pdf/brochures/ft_8900r.pdf

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8900R.

IW2CZG Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2005 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Comments & Improvement suggestions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi !
I've seen that most of the messages about this radio are positive, and I've to say that I'm
really happy too.

What I haven't read is:
- The European version comes with the standard mike (no DTMF)
- The latest versions have "N" connector
- To separate the front panel you can use standard 6-wire telephone cable
- Only the LCD display is backlighted. I can't understand why Yaesu didn't placed some LED to lit also the keys. When operating in the darkness you have no chanches to push the right (tiny) button !!!!
- When using an external speaker you can redirect the AF out as you like (by menu) but the
"beeps" are coming only by the internal spk.

Possible Improvements:
- put some LEDs under the keys in the front panel
- put LEDs on the dark buttons on the mike
- install a loudspeaker in the mike to simplify the car installation

73' de Luca IW2CZG

VE3LLL Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2004 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Proven performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In the first few months with this rig I had a very frustrating intermittent drop problem which was finally isolated to a bad mike cable. And when I was travelling in downtown Toronto the radio would occasionally squawk loudly - a problem soon determined to be related to taxis transmitting on nearby frequencies. Had I written a review then, I wouldn't have given this rig a 5/5.

After about five months I replaced it with the vaunted Icom 706MKIIG - a mistake. While the Icom may be a great HF rig, it is a lesser radio for VHF/UHF communications in a busy urban area. Intermod was awful - not only taxis but all sorts of mysterious signals clobbered the radio frequently. I'd drive around with squelch set at the 3:00 position to keep the radio quiet - so far up that sometimes repeaters only 10 miles away would not get through. Programming was not much easier than the 8900, and there's no software to help program the Icom. And people stopped complementing me on how good I sounded.

About a month ago, I returned the 8900 to my vehicle. Immediately, the complements on my signal started again - in fact one friend was on the air when I did the transition and said he couldn't believe the difference. The occasional squawks I get seem like nothing compared to the Icom. And the mild awkwardness in programming and using the radio are gone now that I'm familiar with it.

This is a heck of a good mobile radio.

K5ADF Rating: 4/5 Sep 28, 2004 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Good mobile rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a new car in April and decided I needed a new UHF/VHF rig. I wanted something that covered 6m, 2m and 440 FM. During my annual pilgrimage to Dayton in May, I visited all the booths in search of a new rig. I did go prepared and read all the reviews on this website first. I decided on the FT8900 and ordered one from HRO as soon as I got home. Like all new cars, the head is mounted on the dash area and the rig is under the front riders seat. The rig fired up on first try and performed well on the three bands - I don't know anyone in the area on 10m FM so I could not check it. The only initial problem I did have was that the microphone was not putting out any audio. I returned the mic to Yaesu for warranty repair and they promptly sent me a new one. I used the mic from my Yaesu FT90 (old rig) as a replacement. I agree with others in that this rig has a lot of bells and whistles and is difficult to program. I bought the RT Systems FT8900 programmer software, which works very well. I also agree with others that the buttons on the FT8900 are very small and my fingers are rather large. I have hit the wrong button several times and have learned to use the mic buttons if at all possible. I rated this rig a 4 due to the complicated programming and the super small buttons. It is a great rig once you get it programmed and learn to be careful in pushing the buttons on the rig head.

KD5WLH Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2004 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile rig for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I started my Ham career with this rig almost a year ago. I bought a Comet UHV-4 with it since it was tailor made for the 8900R. 2m and 70cm work great with this combo, 6m fm is pretty much dead in my area but I've had pretty good reports from the 'one' 6m fm repeater that there is (from about 30 miles away). I made one QSO on 52.525 once and had a good report from that Ham too. 10m, I don't have priv's for YET but I often hear quite a bit on 29.660 and 29.640 and it's been fun listening in. I love the menu's on the rig, and think programming it is easy once you read the manual and try it. I love the size of the rig, really small. It's built tough too because I've run this thing in HOT weather on 50 watts for quite some time and it keeps on ticking.

My wishes for this rig are:

- When selecting a MAIN side of the radio (this radio is basically 2 in one) I wish that the side you are currently on would light up and the other side would not (or at least that yaesu would give us the option to do this type of lighting). Only way you know which side you are on is with a real small icon "main" on the side you're on. I've started transmitted on one side many times thinking I was on the other.

- Wish the MIC would light up for the P1 - P4 buttons (the main ones I use) so you can see at night.

- Wish the alpha tags would also show the numeric freq as well. You have to press and hold P4 to toggle between alpha tags to freq number.

- I wish the speaker(s) was better. It starts distorting a bit when the audio gets high. I think this could be fixed with a better speaker. I have no idea if this rig has a speaker for each side or just one shared, but the speaker(s) needs to be better. I crank it up to hear above road noise and distortion is heard.

If you want a great rig for 2m and 70cm, then this one works great. You can monitor 2 bands at once, nice. Plus, Yaesu throws in 6m for magic openings AND 10m fm for a few dollars more than a dual bander. The bright display is easy to read even in much sunlight. 50 watts on 10,6,2 and 35 watts on 440.

A worthy rig. I'm a happy customer. Good job Yaesu!

K3GM Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2004 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Do you like menus?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned mine for nearly a year now, and run it exclusively in my truck. I have the head mounted to the underside of the dash lip using a RAM mount. This puts the display up at dash level and makes viewing it very easy while driving. The radio is underneath the seat and connects to two antennas on the fenders via a duplexer; 10 meters on one side, 6,2,70cm on the other. The radio has a great little feature. There are 3 buttons on each side of the display that allow you create and save radio setup "schemes". Pressing one of these buttons will instantly set each VFO to the desired band, frequency, power level, etc. This is a nice feature because the radio has a menu with 40 some selections. If you're cruising along the interstate and you have to set PL's, odd offsets, etc., you must to wade thru the menu selections. I keep the manual in the truck with me at all times because the cryptic menu titles are difficult to remember. Power levels are stored in the memory along with the usual repeater settings, but can be modified when recalled. Once a memory location has been used it cannot be erased. It's hidden from view until you overwrite that location. Memory scan features are neat. You can do a standard memory scan, but skip selected "channels". You can also set up a favorite channel scan that will only scan the ones you designate as favorite. There are also band edge scans as well as settable upper and lower limits band scans. I like the preformance and flexibility of this radio, but if someone tells me to QSY to a strange repeater with a PL, I tell them I'll meet them there in about 10 minutes......back to those menus! "Honey, hold the wheel for me will you?"

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2004 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had an FT8900R up until a month ago. Traded it and some cash to a guy in SC for a 706MKIIG, put it in my Explorer Sport Trac, But only used it for 6/2/440. I have another MKIIG which I have for a base. But I digress, I sold the MKIIG in my Sport Trac to a friend of mine the other day, and today I ordered another 8900. Fantastic little radio, I think I have or will have 2 of each of the Big 3 KNWD, Icom, and Yaesu. I plan on getting the HV7A antenna for the 8900 this time. Seems like the Comet UHV4 just didn't do the job for me, had the antenna about 2 months and lost the 10m loading coil for it, it still worked for 6/2/440 but was a little scratchy. Currently have the Maldol 510 tri-bander which works extremely well, but I have my heart set on the HV7A.
As I said before and I'l say it again, this is one great little radio. BRAVO Yaesu!! 73 Mark KI4CRA

N6CPU Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2004 03:24 Send this review to a friend
Enjoy flexibility of FT-8900  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the FT-8900 for nearly a year, and enjoy it tremendously. It suits my needs very well. I like to run on 6, 2 and 70cm from my Explorer Sport Trac. I wanted only one antenna, so I use a comet tri-bander. The receiver sensitivity is excellent as is QRM rejection. Powerful and clear transmit audio make getting through a snap, even on a grungy day on 6m. Things that I would like vertex to improve: Put those little letters on the microphone so you know where the letter 'n' is on which digit, I would like to have scan-bands, like my FT-7800, I would like to see the freqency and name together. They could have done a better job on the display. Other than that, great radio, easy to use and wonderful transmit power and receive audio. '73

N4KMA Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2004 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the radio for about 3 months or so. This is a great radio! At first I thought that maybe 10 & 6 meter FM were not going to be that great to talk on as everyone that I spoke with told me that those bands were dying! Well I can honestly tell you that I have made alot of contacts and I am having a ball with this radio. I run it with a Diamond HV7A.
These two put together is an awesome match!

KD5ZTR Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2004 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Wow What a Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My wife bought this radio for me as a christmas present and I cant say enought about it. Im a new Ham and I did alot of research on radios and I seen this one and so I decided to give it a shot. This radio gets better clear signal reports than some of the base units here in town. Everytime I talk to someone they always tell me how good the audio sounds. If you looking for a good heavy duty radio that wont let you down and thats easy to use then this is the one hands down! Way to go Yaesu :-)

W2YMM Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2004 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine about 1 year now, and I'm happy with it. There is ton's of memories and the signal reports that I get are always good.
The menu system is fairly easy to figure out when programming. I like the cross band repeat.
I wish that it did the split PL/DPL like the VX-7 has.
All in all I am happy with this rig.