Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8900R
Yaesu FT-8900R Reviews: 181 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $469.95
Description: 10M, 6M, 2M & 440Mhz Quad Band Radio with Dual Band Receive.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/pdf/brochures/ft_8900r.pdf

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8900R.

VE6BGM Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2015 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Wish the mic plugged into the main body.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 8900s for over 10 years. Used in the heat and -40'C [same as -40'F]. Still strong as ever. With distracted driving now in place, I don't require back lite keys. It is easy to know and feel what each key on the head does without even having to look at it. And the hand held mic can be programmed to do the most common functions one needs as well. No need to even take your eyes off the road to change the parameters that are important to you. Thus can keep your eyes on the road and not the radio. I just hate the fact the mic plugs into the head as the head is almost on my lap every time I use the mic. Oh for it to be plugged into the main body. But that isn't the reason I gave it a 4 out of 5. I have yet to use a radio that I could rate as a 5 out of 5. The 8900 does come very close however.

N1KDO Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2015 12:23 Send this review to a friend
liked enough to buy a 2nd one  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is very good, but not quite great.

It replaced a Standard C5900, which was the first radio I am aware of to have hyper-memories. The C5900 was a great radio.

There are two things that make the FT-8900R not as good as the C5900:

* Buttons are not backlit on the Yaesu
* The mic plugs into the control head, nowhere else.

I miss those backlit buttons.

I program the radio with the excellent "Chirp" free software and a cable from Ebay.

I liked the radio enough that I bought a 2nd one for the shack. Wish I could get another C5900.

VK3FMJA Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2015 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using thig rig for over 10 months now and it always give me the satisfaction. I had this rig during my FOUNDATION period and this rig ALWAYS amaze me. I bought another one of this rig and I put it in my other car. I will RECOMMEND this rig to any of my friends. You don't need 50 watt to go far but incase you need it it's there for you.

KG5ARD Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Love this radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my second amateur radio with my first being a Baofeng (to make sure I liked HAM). I love this radio. It got me going in HAM and with the 50 watts on 2M it reaches out to distant repeaters. With a home brew antennae I made from a set of rabbit ear TV Antennae I talk locally from my home on the local repeater. Farthest I talked was 400 miles using connected repeaters.

VK3FMJA Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my FIRST mobile radio and with a 50 watts power behind the wheel this rig can kick arse. I have chosen the Diamond CR8900 for my antenna to match this rig and to use the FULL potential of this radio. I have tride the 2m and 70cm for a fair distance and this rig works really smooth. Another MASTERPIECE by YAESU.

KF5HDU Rating: 3/5 Dec 2, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Not bad, but not great   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Six months of use, and I am finally ready to review. I really think it is a 3.5 rated unit. Cross band is neat, but a bunch of rigs offer that now. 6m and 10m capability is neat. But the rig only offers FM, no side band here. APRS is nice through the 9 pin connector, until you realize it only happens on the primary side of the rig, and mutes your ongoing QSO every time it reports. And the FT-7900 has a better hyperlink system by far. Even if you program hyperlinks on the 8900, if you surf up or down via tuning knob or button, you still have to scroll through all of your other channels. Not efficient at all! Also, it needs two speaker out jacks. When you mount the radio in a console, you can't hear the left side audio. Had to add another jack myself for a second speaker out. Buttons are pretty flimsy too. The form factor needs to be increased in size IMHO. Too many buttons and knobs in too little space. Just hit the Internet function a couple of times by accident because you wear a size 12 ring and have fat fingers and you will know what I mean. And you will never use the front panel while wearing gloves. PERIOD! Radio functions well enough. Nice size screen, but really needs an update to LED with scrolling names or at least more characters. So here is my wish list. Separate antenna jacks, sidebar, two speaker jack, the ft-7900 hyperlink system, better APRS functionality, larger size (the size of a Spectra), larger, sturdier knobs, larger buttons, better screen functionality. Would I buy again? Nope. Probably go with Powerwerx unit and a separate HF rig. More expensive I know. But, just my opinion. 73

W4JKU Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little Radio!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just returned from a 10 Year hiatis from the hobby. I bought this radio a couple yaers ago and hooked it up in my truck in May 2013. I give this Radio a 5/5 because, it is a GREAT little radio for the price. The menus are straight forward and pretty easy to use. I have downloaded the Operators Manual onto my phone for easy reference. I have read some earlier reviews that said that the buttons were hard to find because they were not illuminated and too small, but I have learned by feel where all the buttons are and don't have a problem....even with my big digits!!! With alittle effort you can easily learn how to manually program the memories or you can get the cable & software, but I find manually to be easier & quicker. This radio can be cloned to another if you so desire & it has XRpt & APRS as well as Yaesu's WIRES System. When the Bands open up you'll have a lot of fun working 10 Meters, I have made some pretty good distant contacts with it!!! At the time of this writing, 6 Meters has not yet opened up, so can't speak for this Band. Overall Great Radio.

AC0YV Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first new mobile and love it. If it is your first radio make sure there is 6m and 10m in your area. I do not get any 6m or 10m around here but when 10m is open 10m FM is lots of fun.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found an FT 8900R at a very good price and used the ADMS-2 software to program it. I need to re-do the programming though. I put in a lot of 10 meter repeaters that require PL to activate them. Unfortunately while operating mobile I am keying up multiple repeaters at the same time. Guess I will have to go with just repeaters that also encode PL. That won't solve the problem though of bringing up multiple repeaters on the same pair if they are non-PL'd

Having a lot of fun working all over the country on 10 simplex. Hope to do the same on 6 when that band is open

M6AOC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2013 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Rig is very easy to use. I have read many reviews with people saying that it is not that easy to program. I have had no issues and the menue is straight forward. I have only had this for 1 week and so far it has been an enjoyable experience.

The rig is being used in my car with a 8900 antenna. I will update this rig later this year after I have used it a bit more.