Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8900R
Yaesu FT-8900R Reviews: 171 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $469.95
Description: 10M, 6M, 2M & 440Mhz Quad Band Radio with Dual Band Receive.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/pdf/brochures/ft_8900r.pdf

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8900R.

KI4MYL Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2006 13:09 Send this review to a friend
overall good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radio seems to be very user friendly and easily programmed. It works just like its' suppose to except for the crossband repeater, on a occasion when the xband repeater is disabled and radio transmission proceed on the transciever there is a fuzz sound in the audio when transmitting. This is easily fixed by turning radio off then back on. This isn't a big issue for me, because I seldom use it.

G6OCD Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2006 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Bought another  Time owned: more than 12 months
These rigs are so good that i now have one in the Shack and one in the Car, these rigs do everything from X Band Repeat to Full Duplex with ease, so if you are looking for a reliable high power multiband rig, with lots of usefull features then look no further,
Regards
David G6OCD 73,s

G3XYS Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2006 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Thanks for the memories!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yaesu FT8900R

I have just returned to mobile working after 18 years and thought that an FM quad band would give me plenty of flexibility working the repeaters in the hilly areas where I live and work. Quick check through the many reviews and decided on the FT8900. I read through the manual and started thinking �how do I get the best out of this rig�? I manually set it up for the local repeaters and programmed the 6 Hyper-Memories which are an aid to safer driving � one key press and the saved rig snapshot changes.

But you can all read the many reviews below to compile the breadth and depth of the FT8900. One of my assessments is that it is not a �beginners� rig. To really take advantage of the user facilities you need to connect it to a computer and let the software do all the boring and tedious work of programming the 800+ memory combinations. I have just spent 5 hours learning two software packages and understanding many of the menu combinations of the FT8900.

Read/Study the FT8900 Manual, the software instructions and check that you have the correct RS232/TTL CT29B interface cable. Both software packages worked (no errors or hang-ups), Read/Write to the rig, saving and retrieving data, and printing memory and setting information.

Package A : ADMS-2H Yaesu/RT Systems, Falkville, AL 35622, came with an interface cable (CT29B), mini instructions and a CD-ROM.

Package B: Bob Freeth�s FTB8900 http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ download a sample, pay some money, and get the full version. (Links to cable interface providers are included on this site)

Both packages do not follow the Microsoft user interface which we all love to hate, so if you are new to computers it will definitely be a challenge and a half. Help Menus are provided so don�t be put off. Modern rigs are comprehensive and it is knowing how to take advantage of the facilities to your operating advantage.

Package A and Package B are very similar in look and feel and could have come from the same stable but G4HFQ has the edge in ease of use and presentation of information. Package A, 4 out of 10. Package B, 8 out of 10. I also wonder how much Beta Testing of this software was done?

Back to the FT8900 � I am looking forward to many hours of use and will report again in the future. Currently a commendable 5/5 as it is facility rich.

Best wishes,
Mark
G3XYS

AC0DB Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2005 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT-8900 was born before the FT-8800, so I bought one and just like in my review of the FT-8800, the features of this radio for VHF and UHF are exceptional. I didn't find the 6M FM operation useful and I never used it. The crossband repeater function was GREAT. Again, as with the FT-8800, they used liner pots, so expect most of your volume change to take place in a very narrow turn of the volume knob. Remoting of the head is easy, clean, and great since they attached the microphone to the head and just like the FT-8800, it only requires one run of cable and RJ-11 ends. "4" only because I didn't find 6M FM worth the price or time. They should have gone with 220....

K3UG Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2005 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Bought a 2nd unit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As far as I can tell, this is the best radio out there for dual (multi!) band use.

I use one in my home station as part of a VHF/UHF contesting console. 52.525 .. 446.0 .. 146.49, etc.. all in one radio. Great for some extra Qs when you've worked them all on SSB.

I use one in the truck. I do alot of Public Safety monitoring.. local FD, etc.. when I installed this radio in a new pickup, I also installed a scanner. Well, this radio is so feature rich, that it serves quite nicely as both my amateur xcvr (mostly on the local UHF system) .. and as my scanner. I've since taken the scanner out of the truck .. don't need it!

Do yourself a favor and buy the programming software. Programming it by the front panel keys is a challenge, at best. The software will enhance your enjoyment of this radio many times over.

Great radio..! I highly reccomend it!

KU4VQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2005 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Still a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2, one in the car and 1 in the house. On the car car I use a Diamond FT-8900 antenna and the house I use a UHV-4 by Comet. For those who wish for 222 instead of 10 meters, you are waisting your time, US hams do not buy 222 radios. You still can get new 222 radios that are over 10 years old from some of the stores. Its a shame as I operate both ssb and FM on 222 and its fun. I have made many contacts on both 10 and 6 FM while mobile, 10 has been open almost every day for the past month. As for the single antenna port, thats great also, allows the user better choice in antenna configuration.

Good DX on 10

KU4VQ

K3UG Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2005 09:37 Send this review to a friend
CONTINUES TO BE EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned an 8900R for about 2 years, and have been very pleased with it's performance. I use it mobile as both a monitor for public safety activity, and local ham stuff.

The programming software available is a little cumbersome, and primative, but it does the job.
I'd highly reccomend acquiring it, for full enjoyment of this radio.

I would not reccomend this radio for new hams, or hams looking for something simple.

I've just ordered my second unit for use in the shack.

NI1S Rating: 0/5 Jun 29, 2005 14:14 Send this review to a friend
awful radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is a nightmare to program.I've been a ham since the sixties and have never seen anything this bad.I've lost 440 on it and can't wait to find out how much it will cost.The antenna was not a problem, just the radio. NEVER a Yaesu for the next radio!

KA3SEI Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2005 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Just bought ANOTHER!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had one in the shack and finally got one for the car! I can't imagine a better mobile VHF/UHF rig. Having 6M FM is a real plus. What I like best is the "hyper-memories". Push one button, and everything from the frequencies to the power levels is set just where you like it. With Priority Watch, I can monitor 4 frequencies at once!

N4DMJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2005 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Works As Promised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 8900 2 years ago this May at the Dayton Hamvention and have not been disappointed in it at all. No major problems or glitches to report. Audio is clean and functions are simple.

I did experience one minor issue with it when I first starting using the radio in which it was putting out a lot of noise on the frequency during qso's (ie: static/white noise). I reset the CPU and have not had a recurrance of the problem.

Only thing I wish the good folks at Yaesu would have done is offered a 220 set up in place of the 10M freq's. (Something like the old Kenwood's that would allow you a 2m/440 or a 2m/220).

All in all, you get a lot of bang for your buck with this radio! Combined with the Comet UHV-4 it makes for pretty non-stop mobile communications!