Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-350VDX Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-350VDX
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-350VDX Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $699 + $90 ship from japan (new)
Description: 144MHz band 300W+ amp for RF drive of 10W , 25W , and 50W. Multi-meter for power out, auto-SWR, DC line voltage etc. GaAs Low noise RX pre-amp included. Draws 42 amps full output @ 13.8vdc Meter for RF out, auto-SWR, etc. Protection for DC reverse polarity, high SWR etc. Terminal for remote controller. 9.6(W) x3.9(H) x14.0(D)inches 12.1lbs Type N connectors input/output
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-350VDX.

W1DVZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Needs SSB cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(1) THP build quality, which is rugged mil-spec grade.

(2) SSB mode needs a custom keying cable....suggest Phil Parrish's excellent shop "On The Air" Communications to assemble one for you.

(3) Amp seems more powerful than it is....I believe these are 'honest' watts and not "manufactuer's advertised....."

I think they may now be discontinued.....I may have bought the last new one in the US.....

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2012 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second review which should update my first one. I now use the MFJ-4225MV switching supply which weighs only 11 pounds and easy to use in the field. Since my Flex 5000A has the V/U unit installed, the HL-350VDX is an excellent mate and outputs perhaps 375 watts when using CW. I now use only one Cushcraft 13B2 antenna which covers a huge area on 2 metres. This amplifier seldom gets warm except perhaps when using JT65 digital modes. My 115 volt breaker no long trips when turning the power supply on as did the Astron 70 amp supply. Gotta run now---I just heard some Aurora stations.

NL7SX Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 19:06 Send this review to a friend
great for Fm/FM packet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My main fear was failure of the switching or the preamp due to RF. The unit has performed flawlessly. I have low voltage (12 vdc) occasionally on off-the-grid operation but the amp protects itself in error mode. A quick reset and lower the drive input and I can complete what I'm doing, then start the generator. I thought 'hard keying' would be required for packet but it isn't. I use the preamp all the time now with any input power I've tried and the linear turned off. NEAT! Looking forward to CW and Sideband in the future!

N5VTU Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2011 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Pricey, but great quality and performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this amp for 2mSSB use to replace a RF Concepts 2-315. The HL-350VDX is an engineering masterpiece. There are no cold solder joints, loose parts, or other worries as have been reported with products manufactured in Starksville, Mississippi. The HL-350VDX amplifier simply works flawlessly and seems to be able to tolerate very high duty cycles with no signs of overheating. The built in protection circuits make the HL-350VDX idiot-proof (I should know). The only negative that I can say about this amp, which I was fully aware of prior to purchase, was that it does not have a built in power supply.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Flawless, idiot proof, always works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cost a lot, but THP quality is second to none. Wanted to get into EME with this, but also decided to try out HSMS. Hooked it up to Astron PS, connected it to the IC910, and it simply worked. QSK built in. Protected against anything dumb I could do to it. Always works first time, every time. Sure there are less expensive 2M amps, but you get what you pay for. I have not regretted this purchase one iota. Worth every penny.

WA9ZOH Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2011 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best in its power class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First thing I did after receiving it from HRO was pop the cover off the top and check soldering connections and screws for tightness. I have to say, this is the best amp I have used in its power class and price. I had to wait approx. 30 days for delivery. Delay was due to the events taking place in Japan.
What I would change would be to have the list on the back side, instead of the bottom of the unit, the following: Antenna and exciter and then the exciter power input selector slide switch would indicate the three power input selections. All in all it is worth the money.

GW8JLY Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 10:59 Send this review to a friend
A little expensive but a great amp.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had to wait awhile for this amp to be delivered from a well known UK ham stockist (the amp had to be made then delivered to the UK) but it was certainly worth the wait. The amp is well built, a delight to use and appears virtually indestructable - protection is built in for any misadventures. With a new 60 amp power supply, the amp is capable of delivering around 350 watts output and does not get too hot with prolonged use. A GaAsFET preamp gives good receive gain with low added noise. Results obtained on 2m SSB with the new amp are considerably greater that I used to obtain while running my previous amp - a MM 200 watt amplifer. The only issue now is that it is more difficult to hear some of those calling me with little power.

ZS1NAZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2008 23:45 Send this review to a friend
In the solid state vhf 350 watt class this amp is hard to beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned many solid state vhf/uhf amplifiers, this one is the best on the list and class.Modes used most fsk441, jt6m, ssb,digital modes are very harsh but the HL-350VDX does not complain.Power output 350 watts as stated, on Bird,Daiwa CN801 power meters, power output exeeded 400 watts with 100 amp 13.8 volt power supply.This amp is well built ,fans run quite and is automated and increases and decreases as needed,pre amp is excellent .The protection for high swr ,excessive input drive works very well.I have owned this amp for more than a year and I can gladly give it a 5.When ordering from Japan ask for Mr Nobuki very nice chap friendly and very helpfull( and have lots of PATIENCE)well done Tokyo Hy Power

WA0KBZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Very nice amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this amp new in Sept. 2007 from HRO and have been using it almost daily. Mostly on MS and EME. Yes I have made several moonrise contact with this little amp. Which is a great addition my my shack. This unit has the best preamp system I have ever seen in a solid state amplifier. With a built in wattmeter and SWR bridge that really works! Yes it is a high price little unit but for the four months I have had the unit it has out performed all the solid state amplifiers I have ever had and that has been quite a few. I will give you an up date next fall to see if it still holding together.

KB5WNU Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2006 15:46 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT COMPLEMENT TO MY STATION!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent customer relations / support...
Cosmetically appealing for base station operations..
Built in watt, swr, and volt meter very accurate..
Outstanding rx amp performance...
This amp used on regular basis during vhf fm simplex net control with absolute perfect performance....
Only negative comment regarding this amplifier was initial cost, but, after months of perfect performance, would not hesitate to recommend this amp to anyone.....