Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood SMC-34 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood SMC-34
Kenwood SMC-34 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Speaker/mic with function keys and volume control
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood SMC-34.

W2FPG Rating: 0/5 Jan 23, 2006 17:06 Send this review to a friend
terrible  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one brand new with my thf6a and from the
git it was junk.U have to turn the radio all the way up to hear anything and then it's all trebly
and broken up.Avoid this mic they have another thats supposed to be heads and shoulders above this junker.Still new in box paid 24 dollars too much.My Radio shack mics work better than that
for & bucks to bad they don't fit kenwood.
Good Luck have fun

K0KAV Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2003 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had nothing but excellent audio reports on this mic. It works well, the volume control is convenient. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

KD7UHR Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2003 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Solid Microphone  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purhcased this microphone to accompany my F6A and have been very pleased. I consistently receive good audio reports from others and the microphone produces consistently readable output. Additionally, I have used it several times in inclement weather (rain, freezing temps) and it has continued to give me quality performance. Buttons ARE programmable in accordance with the instruction manual. I have no complaints and would purchase another.

AD5HD Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2003 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
Must be a different mic being reviewed below. Consistently excellent audio reports on-air, decent spkr sound in receive as well being not substantially different from spkr in TH-G71A. Programming of function keys works and is covered in the HT manual, assuming the LOCK switch on the back of the mic isn't in the ON position. Lapel clip works just fine, the volume control is handy to work with your thumb, and the headphone jack works just fine with Sony MDR-G52 headphones. No problem using it mobile with the windows down at highway speeds. Seems like an acceptably good product to me, and with a cost on the order of 10% of the cost of an HT, more or less, it also doesn't seem overpriced. YMMV

KD7NDM Rating: 2/5 Nov 21, 2003 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Too expensive  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well this mic is in need of modification. After many very poor reports on the air I investigated the problem. It appears that Kenwood did not want ANYTHING to get to the mic, including your voice. The area that the mic occupies has eight little dimples, no holes!!! So I took the mic apart and proceeded to use a heated needle and razorblade to open the holes to the mike. This made a small improvement but there is a thick foam pad stuck in the mike cavity along with a piece of clear plastic. Throw those away and put it all back together and it will work much better. My audio reports are now the same as the mic on my TH-F6. The other complaint I have is the speaker sound quality, for the cost of this unit it should have at least the same sound as the HT. Save your money unless you get a used one for a good price and modify it.

WA2AEL Rating: 1/5 Aug 2, 2002 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Virtually Unusable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I concur with KC2ICOs comments. I bought this with a TH F6A. I use the radio constantly. I don't bother with this mike. Audio quality is so bad that I find this microphone to be useless. This speaker/mic has the sound quality I would expect from a $10 toy.

I expected better of Kenwwod.

KE4RWS Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2002 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Bordering Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Kenwood TH-D7A H/T and wanted a matching speaker/mic, preferably Kenwood brand, that would allow the user to have limited control of the radio, yet have reasonably good sound. The SMC-34 seemed to be what I was looking for (on paper). I was able to pick one up brand new on Ebay for $27 including shipping. Once I attached it to the radio it was obvious the SMC-34 didn't meet my original expectations. The three buttons which control various functions on the radio can't be user programmed so your stuck with whatever it happens to control. Personally, I didn't find the stock control configuration useful at all. I did like the flat rotary volume control knob on the mic though. I found it to be a useful addition to the SMC-34. You must set the volume on the radio your using to an appropriate level first in order to have reasonably good audio control via the mic. Since the SMC-34 is rather small it doesn't produce an ear-busting amount of audio, but should be loud enough provided the user has reasonably good hearing. There is also an external speaker output jack on the bottom of the mic itself in case you want to use either an external speaker or earpiece. One word of caution though; Make certain the volume is set to a very low level on the radio AND the mic, as your ears will ring for a while if using the earpiece and the volume is set too high. I found the coiled cord to be long enough to have the H/T on your belt and clip the SMC-34 to your collar. On the rear of the mic is a plastic rotating spring-loaded clip which provides adequate pressure to remain in place (at least mine does). Overall construction appears good, but keep in mind the entire mic is made of plastic so it's very light (which is good in some instances, bad in others).

While the SMC-34 doesn't hold a candle to the my commercial Motorola speaker/mics, one really can't expect it to have the same quality as a $100 piece of commercial gear, but I'm glad I was able to shy away from the list price ($40 at the time of this writing), as I personally feel it's more in line of being a $25 model. In short, I'd be ticked if I paid $40 plus shipping for this thing! I recommend it if you can pick one up for under $30, but any more than that I feel your wasting your money.

VA3UT Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2002 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using this speaker mic with TH-28A 2m handy. The speaker is very good with loud and clear sound, and the mic is also very good and I don't want to use anything else. This combination is with me whenever I leave home, specially when I go to a local hamfest. Genuine Kenwood audio quality is what I love the most, and no wonder why I have so many Kenwood radios.

I tried MFJ, Prime, and modified Icom speaker mic before this but none of these comes close to SMC-34. The function key and volume control is a great help as well.

KC2ICO Rating: 0/5 Aug 1, 2002 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For forty dollars you expect more from Kenwood.
The microphone is terrible!
The speaker is terrible!
The function key placement is terrible (on top)!
A big watse of money. I got it to use with my TH-F6A. I haven't tried the microphone mod. It really bothers me to have to mod something that sells for 3x the speaker/mics that I bought for my FRS radios and sounds a third as good.