Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna
W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $35 to 75
Description: Tuned Dipole

You can write your own review of the W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna.

K9VKY Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't say enough good things about Brian, WB2JIX, for his personal attention to my questions even while he was on vacation. The 80 Meter antenna was cut to my specification (CW portion of 80M versus the middle of the band), and shipped the day after I ordered it. The next business day, the antenna was on my porch. The antenna is one continuous line of tangle free wire on each leg, and will not have the problems of oxidation and corrosion seen on previous doublet antennas. I expect the antenna will last longer than I will.
N1WDS Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2016 08:09 Send this review to a friend
W7FG 10-160 meter antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a long time user of wire antennas of all sorts, shapes and sizes. Over the years I have used 450 ohm window line to feed them and a couple of Johnson Matchboxes to tune them. I've appreciated their efficiency and I've enjoyed the ability to "work 'em if I can hear 'em". I had a home brewed 10-80 meter antenna with an overall length of 135' hanging in an inverted 'V' configuration at my QTH for the past six years and it functioned flawlessly. That antenna buried my first HF antenna the "Cobra Ultralite". What a piece of junk that was! I could barely be heard on a local net on 80 meters!

The June 2015 issue of QST contained an outstanding article by R. Straw entitled "Don't Blow Up Your Balun". The author did a good job convincing me of the virtues of using a 600 ohm feed line. I must say that I was horrified by seeing how much power was not making it to the antenna even though I was using a very efficient feed line. The losses at using legal limit power were almost equivalent to the output of an Ameritron AL-811! The losses for those using coax to feed their antennas was absolutely staggering!

I had given thought to building my own 600 ohm feed line but I happened to come across I had just moved to a new QTH and the demands of my job were keeping me away from home and no spare time so I decided to order the 10-160 meter version of their doublet antennas.

I can't say enough good about this antenna. I've made contacts on 10-160 meters, repeatedly. I work all of the DX I want to. I've also noticed that I now work into South America at 100W whereas, in the past, I needed to switch on an amplifier to make those contacts on my home brewed antenna. I spent a little time at the outset of installing this antenna using a MFJ-259B antenna analyzer to carefully trim the feed line to achieve an SWR of less than 1.4:1 on all bands using a Johnson Matchbox tuner. I also have a Heathkit 2060A tuner (Which uses an internal 4:1 Balun) predominately for 160 meters and the SWR is 1:1 on all bands.

If you're contemplating upgrading your feed line to 600 ohms or looking to abandon your lossy coax fed antenna to something much more efficient, try this antenna. There are many misconceptions out there about open wire feed lines. Don't believe them! The only thing you're missing is power at your radiators and your ability to hear weaker stations! This antenna has done an outstanding job standing up to the wind, ice and snow of Winter here in Vermont! I would definitely buy this product again.
WA4YBC Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 14:46 Send this review to a friend
160M W7FG Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the last 9 months, I have been using the W7FG 160 dipole with 600 ohm open wire feed line from, and it works great. This was my first experience using open wire feed line, and Brian, WB2JIX gave me great support. I can often be found on 160M round tables, and get great reports. I use my antenna mostly on 40M. On 40M, the antenna has some good gain, and I get 59+ signal reports out of Europe often. All the myths that I was told about open wire feed line turned out to be ignorant BS. Working with open wire feed line has been really simple. I use the MFJ 976 tuner with it, and the MFJ 976 does a great job matching my open wire feed line. My open wire feed line length is 125 ft, and my MFJ 976 has no problems with it. When I run barefoot, my old TenTec Model 277 tuner works great with it. You can occasionally find the TenTec Model 277 for $50 on eBay. The only real warning about open wire feedline is to keep the feed line 3 or 4 inches away from any metal. Most hams can figure that out. Since the W7FG 160 meter dipole is fed in the middle, the open wire feed line is balanced. The electrical and magnetic fields from a balanced antenna cancel each other in the open wire feed line, and I see no RF issues with the feed line in my ham shack. This is the best multi band wire antenna that I have used, and I have been a ham for 51 years.
KD4LYH Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2008 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Replaced my 450ohm all band doublet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I was upgrading my all band antenna fed with 100 feet of 450ohm ladderline boy did I make a mistake. I have the antenna 50 feet at the apex(same as my other antenna it replaced) wont tune 20 or 10 meters. The spreaders look like some kind of pvc, the first thunderstorm I had here at my qth ripped the wire out of the pvc spreaders. Other than not tuning 20 or 10 and having to keep repairing the wire that pulls out of the spreaders everytime it storms: it works as it should on 80 and 40. The way the wire is held in the spreader needs work or maybe this antenna isnt designed to handle Florida weather. For what I paid for it I shouldnt be having these kinds of problems.
KJ5XF Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna/feedline combo!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using coax and resonant dipoles
since I have been a ham (15 years now...)
Anyhow, a ham friend of mine told me about
his experience with open wire and that I should
give it a try. One thing led to another and I
contacted Gary (W7FG) and he patiently answered
all of the questions that I had. Now I have gone from
using a fan dipole 40m/20m to a 40m doublet
which now allows me to get on: 40m, 30m, 20m,
17m, 15m, 12m and 10m. The only aspect that I
had to take into account was making sure that I
kept the open wire away from any metal by at least
6 inches. I connected it up and voila.... works great!
I also get the side benefit of LOW-LOSS
feed line. For those of you that have never tried
open-wire feedline, you might want to try it.
EX_NI0L Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As an old Ham who swore he would never buy a "ready made" antenna I am a convert. If you tried to buy equivalent wire and pay shipping the cost would be similar. The wire was a true joy to work with. One side of my Horizontal Vee has to go over my house,clear the chimney and wind up tied to a tree. No tangles ! I bought the 160 meter doublet with 50' of 600 ohm line.
The old Murch likes the taste of it just fine.
I am still finding tune points but highly recommend the antenna.
K7AAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2007 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Superb quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

Replaced my coax fed trap dipole with a W7FG Doublet, fed with his 600 ohm ladderline. The product is superb in quality, performance, and price. Highly recommend.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2005 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Sweet!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, we finally did it. I took one of Gary's Doublet antennas, and added a "bit" of wire, to make an Extended Double Zepp, cut for the 80M band. Ended up somewhere around 320 feet long over all. Running it through a Johnson Matchbox tuner, I am quite pleased with it's performance on the 80M band. Other bands will be checked soon, but I am confident it will radiate a great signal on all bands. Another plus, is it allows the installation of a HUGE "Frankenstein" knife switch in the shack, to add to the decor. "Fun" to put up, but worth it in my opinion.
K0CWO Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2004 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Super allbander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these up between two 90 foot poles with the feed point sagging down to about 50 feet and 200 feet of feed line running to the shack. I use an Icom 756 ProII, an Ameritron AL-80B, feeding the antenna through a Ten-Tec 238B antenna tuner. I am currently deployed with the Army National Guard in Kansas. I have no problem working coast to coast 160 thru 40 as well as closer in. I would probably run DX on those bands into Europe if I tried. If I put the antenna tuner in the bypass position, the 756 internal tuner will tune this antenna 160 (1,925 Mhz) thru 10 meters. I have worked a lot of DX on 20,15, and 17 meters running 100 watts. The antenna has survived 70 mph winds. If you have room to put 250 feet of flattop 50 feet in the air, this one is hard to beat for the money. It is the only antenna I use anymore. Try to work all bands (especially the low bands) with this performance using another antenna. I think you'll find it tough to match. Excellent product and customer service if you need it!!
K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2003 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance & Durability for the Price ~ $60  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 80m doublet at Dayton in 2001. I've had it up about 35' since then fed with a TenTec 238A tuner. The installation is far less than perfect - the ladder line parallels the metal storm window frame to enter the house, and does a couple of 90 degree turns. For $60 I really wasn't expecting much. Well for the past two and half years the antenna has swayed violently between two trees, survived the Rochester, NY ice storm, and lots of wind & snow during the past two winters.

The power / SWR readings are stable at the tuner and I've not had any issues with RF in the shack or RF burns on any equipment. The performance on 40m is superb - very flat for almost the entire phone or cw segment (pick one or the other). On 80m it's narrower as you would expect but perfectly tunable. Forget 160 - no match at all (don't know if this is the tuner or antenna or both). On 30, 20, 17, 15 it's also very good. Difficult time matching on 10m.

Also, is great as an SWL antenna as you would expect.

I have noticed on 20m especially I can pile into Europe without any issues running QRP or 200 watts. Can't ever seem to hear the far east, Australia. I use the NCDX beacons to judge how I'm doing and I've never heard Japan, Hong Kong, and that area of the world.

The ladder line is always swaying and moving in the wind, but I never see an SWR change or power change at the tuner. Same is true during rain and ice. Took it down last summer and it's still intact. The neat thing is there are NO solder joints anywhere - it's one continous piece of wire for each led of the "ladder" to the end of the antenna.

I'd buy this antenna again and again and again. It's a true value with excellent performance for the money - but you'll need a tuner.
Dean, K9FTB, Fairport, NY