Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna
W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $35 to 75
Description: Tuned Dipole

You can write your own review of the W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna.

KD4LYH Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2008 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Replaced my 450ohm all band doublet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I was upgrading my all band antenna fed with 100 feet of 450ohm ladderline boy did I make a mistake. I have the antenna 50 feet at the apex(same as my other antenna it replaced) wont tune 20 or 10 meters. The spreaders look like some kind of pvc, the first thunderstorm I had here at my qth ripped the wire out of the pvc spreaders. Other than not tuning 20 or 10 and having to keep repairing the wire that pulls out of the spreaders everytime it storms: it works as it should on 80 and 40. The way the wire is held in the spreader needs work or maybe this antenna isnt designed to handle Florida weather. For what I paid for it I shouldnt be having these kinds of problems.
KJ5XF Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna/feedline combo!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using coax and resonant dipoles
since I have been a ham (15 years now...)
Anyhow, a ham friend of mine told me about
his experience with open wire and that I should
give it a try. One thing led to another and I
contacted Gary (W7FG) and he patiently answered
all of the questions that I had. Now I have gone from
using a fan dipole 40m/20m to a 40m doublet
which now allows me to get on: 40m, 30m, 20m,
17m, 15m, 12m and 10m. The only aspect that I
had to take into account was making sure that I
kept the open wire away from any metal by at least
6 inches. I connected it up and voila.... works great!
I also get the side benefit of LOW-LOSS
feed line. For those of you that have never tried
open-wire feedline, you might want to try it.
EX_NI0L Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As an old Ham who swore he would never buy a "ready made" antenna I am a convert. If you tried to buy equivalent wire and pay shipping the cost would be similar. The wire was a true joy to work with. One side of my Horizontal Vee has to go over my house,clear the chimney and wind up tied to a tree. No tangles ! I bought the 160 meter doublet with 50' of 600 ohm line.
The old Murch likes the taste of it just fine.
I am still finding tune points but highly recommend the antenna.
K7AAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2007 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Superb quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

Replaced my coax fed trap dipole with a W7FG Doublet, fed with his 600 ohm ladderline. The product is superb in quality, performance, and price. Highly recommend.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2005 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Sweet!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, we finally did it. I took one of Gary's Doublet antennas, and added a "bit" of wire, to make an Extended Double Zepp, cut for the 80M band. Ended up somewhere around 320 feet long over all. Running it through a Johnson Matchbox tuner, I am quite pleased with it's performance on the 80M band. Other bands will be checked soon, but I am confident it will radiate a great signal on all bands. Another plus, is it allows the installation of a HUGE "Frankenstein" knife switch in the shack, to add to the decor. "Fun" to put up, but worth it in my opinion.
K0CWO Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2004 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Super allbander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these up between two 90 foot poles with the feed point sagging down to about 50 feet and 200 feet of feed line running to the shack. I use an Icom 756 ProII, an Ameritron AL-80B, feeding the antenna through a Ten-Tec 238B antenna tuner. I am currently deployed with the Army National Guard in Kansas. I have no problem working coast to coast 160 thru 40 as well as closer in. I would probably run DX on those bands into Europe if I tried. If I put the antenna tuner in the bypass position, the 756 internal tuner will tune this antenna 160 (1,925 Mhz) thru 10 meters. I have worked a lot of DX on 20,15, and 17 meters running 100 watts. The antenna has survived 70 mph winds. If you have room to put 250 feet of flattop 50 feet in the air, this one is hard to beat for the money. It is the only antenna I use anymore. Try to work all bands (especially the low bands) with this performance using another antenna. I think you'll find it tough to match. Excellent product and customer service if you need it!!
K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2003 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance & Durability for the Price ~ $60  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 80m doublet at Dayton in 2001. I've had it up about 35' since then fed with a TenTec 238A tuner. The installation is far less than perfect - the ladder line parallels the metal storm window frame to enter the house, and does a couple of 90 degree turns. For $60 I really wasn't expecting much. Well for the past two and half years the antenna has swayed violently between two trees, survived the Rochester, NY ice storm, and lots of wind & snow during the past two winters.

The power / SWR readings are stable at the tuner and I've not had any issues with RF in the shack or RF burns on any equipment. The performance on 40m is superb - very flat for almost the entire phone or cw segment (pick one or the other). On 80m it's narrower as you would expect but perfectly tunable. Forget 160 - no match at all (don't know if this is the tuner or antenna or both). On 30, 20, 17, 15 it's also very good. Difficult time matching on 10m.

Also, is great as an SWL antenna as you would expect.

I have noticed on 20m especially I can pile into Europe without any issues running QRP or 200 watts. Can't ever seem to hear the far east, Australia. I use the NCDX beacons to judge how I'm doing and I've never heard Japan, Hong Kong, and that area of the world.

The ladder line is always swaying and moving in the wind, but I never see an SWR change or power change at the tuner. Same is true during rain and ice. Took it down last summer and it's still intact. The neat thing is there are NO solder joints anywhere - it's one continous piece of wire for each led of the "ladder" to the end of the antenna.

I'd buy this antenna again and again and again. It's a true value with excellent performance for the money - but you'll need a tuner.
Dean, K9FTB, Fairport, NY
K9IUQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2000 20:24 Send this review to a friend
The Best Wire Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using open wire fed antennas for over 30 yrs. Used to make the open wire feeders myself but it got to be too much trouble so started using the small (brown-like tv line) ladder line.

But it just wasnt the same.

When I was a lad REAL HAMS used homemade ladder line.

Now, thanks to W7FG I can be a Real Ham again.This antenna has REAL wide spaced open wire feeders. Ah, I just love the look of those feeders going up to the antenna.

Of course it works great (read any Antenna book). The best all around antenna for all bands.

What I cant figure out tho is how can he sell them so CHEAP? I am going to buy some more before he decides to raise the price.
K7NA Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 1999 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Center Fed Zepp with Real 600 Ohm Feeders  Time owned: unknown months
This is a directional antenna depending on what band you are operating and how high above ground the antenna is situated. Actually, this is an antenna that goes way back to the simpler days of ham radio. It essentially is a doublet (dipole) wire flatop antenna fed with real 600 ohm open wire feeders. This balanced feedline is low loss in design and allows the antenna to work all bands if you utilize a real balanced matching network. I bumped into Gary's website quite by accident but was intrigued by the 160, 80, and 40 meter doublets he offered for incredible prices. These antenna are fed with either 50' or 100' (or a custom length by special order) of his open wire feeders which are spaced about 4" inches apart and offer real advantages over the common 450 ohm brown poly ladderline available today. I bought an 80 meter version and recently put it up as a horizontal doublet. It appears to work great on all bands with my Johnson KW Matchbox. You can take a look at Gary's antennas by going to You can't beat the antennas for the price. By the way, the reason I abandoned my 80 meter doublet fed with 450 ohm ladderline is that I encountered problems with the SWR constantly changing when I transmitted. The problem was even worse during foggy or early morning weather where dew was present. No such problems with the true open wire feeders! You can purchase these antennas in kit form for an even bigger savings or just buy the 600 ohm ladderline by itself! Check it out!!