Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna
W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $35 to 75
Description: Tuned Dipole

You can write your own review of the W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna.

KE2ES Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2017 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product(s); Superior Customer Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed the 80-10 all-band doublet in a flat-top configuration between two trees this past summer. It's up about 45' and I'm using a 150' length of OWL that's terminated into a Balun Design 4115T with a 20' length of RG8X coming into the shack where I'm using an MFJ 289C manual tuner. The antenna was very easy to install, low maintenance, lightweight, and has held up through several storms. Easy of tuning including across MARS/CAP frequencies, low noise, increased receive sensitivity and good signal reports. I purchased a 160-10 doublet as a backup. Brian, WB2JIX has provided excellent service and I'm very pleased that he acquired the W7FG company from the widow of the late Cherlie Redding, K5JYB in late 2014. In closing, I think it's worth mentioning that Brian's manufacturing facility utilizes employees with disabilities and their quality and workmanship has been outstanding. 73 Tom, KE2ES
K5MH Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2017 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna, Superb Customer Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the 160-10 meter version of the W7FG doublet along with 700 feet(!) of open wire line. Both the product and the customer support were extraordinary.
After moving to a valley in western Montana, I wanted to position an antenna on a high, wooded ridge to the east of the house. Given the extreme length of the feedline required, I knew that a multiband doublet with tuned open-wire line would be one of the few plausible options. Brian not only sold me the necessary materials, but he mentored me during every phase of this ambitious project. We exchanged nearly 30 messages during a 90-day period.
The result was highly successful: a match close to 1:1 on every band (with a Palstar AT2K), extremely low noise levels, and effectiveness in working DX. In casual operating with less than 100 watts, I worked 116 DX stations in less than 6 months despite very poor band conditions. I could not ask for anything better than that.
W8LLL Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2017 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
80 meter version open wire feed W7FG Doublet.

Only been up one day but this is the 80 meter band FT-8 digital mode operating under 50 watts at 6:30 pm. This antenna is performing wonderfully and its not even up very high due to the snow storm that hit before it arrived. Tunes all HF bands above its fundamental.

PY1FA Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2016 15:24 Send this review to a friend
*** Simply amazing ***  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've done several experiments with multiband antennas, and was good and a band and bad in others. Today, installed the W7FG and could compare with ZS6BKW, which was my antenna holder, and to take the tests, the W7FG was superior in all the bands from 80 to 10m, then, is successfully approved !!!
K9VKY Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't say enough good things about Brian, WB2JIX, for his personal attention to my questions even while he was on vacation. The 80 Meter antenna was cut to my specification (CW portion of 80M versus the middle of the band), and shipped the day after I ordered it. The next business day, the antenna was on my porch. The antenna is one continuous line of tangle free wire on each leg, and will not have the problems of oxidation and corrosion seen on previous doublet antennas. I expect the antenna will last longer than I will.
N1WDS Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2016 08:09 Send this review to a friend
W7FG 10-160 meter antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a long time user of wire antennas of all sorts, shapes and sizes. Over the years I have used 450 ohm window line to feed them and a couple of Johnson Matchboxes to tune them. I've appreciated their efficiency and I've enjoyed the ability to "work 'em if I can hear 'em". I had a home brewed 10-80 meter antenna with an overall length of 135' hanging in an inverted 'V' configuration at my QTH for the past six years and it functioned flawlessly. That antenna buried my first HF antenna the "Cobra Ultralite". What a piece of junk that was! I could barely be heard on a local net on 80 meters!

The June 2015 issue of QST contained an outstanding article by R. Straw entitled "Don't Blow Up Your Balun". The author did a good job convincing me of the virtues of using a 600 ohm feed line. I must say that I was horrified by seeing how much power was not making it to the antenna even though I was using a very efficient feed line. The losses at using legal limit power were almost equivalent to the output of an Ameritron AL-811! The losses for those using coax to feed their antennas was absolutely staggering!

I had given thought to building my own 600 ohm feed line but I happened to come across I had just moved to a new QTH and the demands of my job were keeping me away from home and no spare time so I decided to order the 10-160 meter version of their doublet antennas.

I can't say enough good about this antenna. I've made contacts on 10-160 meters, repeatedly. I work all of the DX I want to. I've also noticed that I now work into South America at 100W whereas, in the past, I needed to switch on an amplifier to make those contacts on my home brewed antenna. I spent a little time at the outset of installing this antenna using a MFJ-259B antenna analyzer to carefully trim the feed line to achieve an SWR of less than 1.4:1 on all bands using a Johnson Matchbox tuner. I also have a Heathkit 2060A tuner (Which uses an internal 4:1 Balun) predominately for 160 meters and the SWR is 1:1 on all bands.

If you're contemplating upgrading your feed line to 600 ohms or looking to abandon your lossy coax fed antenna to something much more efficient, try this antenna. There are many misconceptions out there about open wire feed lines. Don't believe them! The only thing you're missing is power at your radiators and your ability to hear weaker stations! This antenna has done an outstanding job standing up to the wind, ice and snow of Winter here in Vermont! I would definitely buy this product again.
WA4YBC Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 14:46 Send this review to a friend
160M W7FG Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the last 9 months, I have been using the W7FG 160 dipole with 600 ohm open wire feed line from, and it works great. This was my first experience using open wire feed line, and Brian, WB2JIX gave me great support. I can often be found on 160M round tables, and get great reports. I use my antenna mostly on 40M. On 40M, the antenna has some good gain, and I get 59+ signal reports out of Europe often. All the myths that I was told about open wire feed line turned out to be ignorant BS. Working with open wire feed line has been really simple. I use the MFJ 976 tuner with it, and the MFJ 976 does a great job matching my open wire feed line. My open wire feed line length is 125 ft, and my MFJ 976 has no problems with it. When I run barefoot, my old TenTec Model 277 tuner works great with it. You can occasionally find the TenTec Model 277 for $50 on eBay. The only real warning about open wire feedline is to keep the feed line 3 or 4 inches away from any metal. Most hams can figure that out. Since the W7FG 160 meter dipole is fed in the middle, the open wire feed line is balanced. The electrical and magnetic fields from a balanced antenna cancel each other in the open wire feed line, and I see no RF issues with the feed line in my ham shack. This is the best multi band wire antenna that I have used, and I have been a ham for 51 years.
KD4LYH Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2008 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Replaced my 450ohm all band doublet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I was upgrading my all band antenna fed with 100 feet of 450ohm ladderline boy did I make a mistake. I have the antenna 50 feet at the apex(same as my other antenna it replaced) wont tune 20 or 10 meters. The spreaders look like some kind of pvc, the first thunderstorm I had here at my qth ripped the wire out of the pvc spreaders. Other than not tuning 20 or 10 and having to keep repairing the wire that pulls out of the spreaders everytime it storms: it works as it should on 80 and 40. The way the wire is held in the spreader needs work or maybe this antenna isnt designed to handle Florida weather. For what I paid for it I shouldnt be having these kinds of problems.
KJ5XF Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna/feedline combo!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using coax and resonant dipoles
since I have been a ham (15 years now...)
Anyhow, a ham friend of mine told me about
his experience with open wire and that I should
give it a try. One thing led to another and I
contacted Gary (W7FG) and he patiently answered
all of the questions that I had. Now I have gone from
using a fan dipole 40m/20m to a 40m doublet
which now allows me to get on: 40m, 30m, 20m,
17m, 15m, 12m and 10m. The only aspect that I
had to take into account was making sure that I
kept the open wire away from any metal by at least
6 inches. I connected it up and voila.... works great!
I also get the side benefit of LOW-LOSS
feed line. For those of you that have never tried
open-wire feedline, you might want to try it.
EX_NI0L Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As an old Ham who swore he would never buy a "ready made" antenna I am a convert. If you tried to buy equivalent wire and pay shipping the cost would be similar. The wire was a true joy to work with. One side of my Horizontal Vee has to go over my house,clear the chimney and wind up tied to a tree. No tangles ! I bought the 160 meter doublet with 50' of 600 ohm line.
The old Murch likes the taste of it just fine.
I am still finding tune points but highly recommend the antenna.