Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna
W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $35 to 75
Description: Tuned Dipole
More info: http://trueladderline.com

You can write your own review of the W7FG Tuned Doublet Antenna.

K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2003 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance & Durability for the Price ~ $60  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 80m doublet at Dayton in 2001. I've had it up about 35' since then fed with a TenTec 238A tuner. The installation is far less than perfect - the ladder line parallels the metal storm window frame to enter the house, and does a couple of 90 degree turns. For $60 I really wasn't expecting much. Well for the past two and half years the antenna has swayed violently between two trees, survived the Rochester, NY ice storm, and lots of wind & snow during the past two winters.

The power / SWR readings are stable at the tuner and I've not had any issues with RF in the shack or RF burns on any equipment. The performance on 40m is superb - very flat for almost the entire phone or cw segment (pick one or the other). On 80m it's narrower as you would expect but perfectly tunable. Forget 160 - no match at all (don't know if this is the tuner or antenna or both). On 30, 20, 17, 15 it's also very good. Difficult time matching on 10m.

Also, is great as an SWL antenna as you would expect.

I have noticed on 20m especially I can pile into Europe without any issues running QRP or 200 watts. Can't ever seem to hear the far east, Australia. I use the NCDX beacons to judge how I'm doing and I've never heard Japan, Hong Kong, and that area of the world.

The ladder line is always swaying and moving in the wind, but I never see an SWR change or power change at the tuner. Same is true during rain and ice. Took it down last summer and it's still intact. The neat thing is there are NO solder joints anywhere - it's one continous piece of wire for each led of the "ladder" to the end of the antenna.

I'd buy this antenna again and again and again. It's a true value with excellent performance for the money - but you'll need a tuner.
Dean, K9FTB, Fairport, NY

K9IUQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2000 20:24 Send this review to a friend
The Best Wire Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using open wire fed antennas for over 30 yrs. Used to make the open wire feeders myself but it got to be too much trouble so started using the small (brown-like tv line) ladder line.

But it just wasnt the same.

When I was a lad REAL HAMS used homemade ladder line.

Now, thanks to W7FG I can be a Real Ham again.This antenna has REAL wide spaced open wire feeders. Ah, I just love the look of those feeders going up to the antenna.

Of course it works great (read any Antenna book). The best all around antenna for all bands.

What I cant figure out tho is how can he sell them so CHEAP? I am going to buy some more before he decides to raise the price.

K7NA Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 1999 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Center Fed Zepp with Real 600 Ohm Feeders  Time owned: unknown months
This is a directional antenna depending on what band you are operating and how high above ground the antenna is situated. Actually, this is an antenna that goes way back to the simpler days of ham radio. It essentially is a doublet (dipole) wire flatop antenna fed with real 600 ohm open wire feeders. This balanced feedline is low loss in design and allows the antenna to work all bands if you utilize a real balanced matching network. I bumped into Gary's website quite by accident but was intrigued by the 160, 80, and 40 meter doublets he offered for incredible prices. These antenna are fed with either 50' or 100' (or a custom length by special order) of his open wire feeders which are spaced about 4" inches apart and offer real advantages over the common 450 ohm brown poly ladderline available today. I bought an 80 meter version and recently put it up as a horizontal doublet. It appears to work great on all bands with my Johnson KW Matchbox. You can take a look at Gary's antennas by going to www.w7fg.com. You can't beat the antennas for the price. By the way, the reason I abandoned my 80 meter doublet fed with 450 ohm ladderline is that I encountered problems with the SWR constantly changing when I transmitted. The problem was even worse during foggy or early morning weather where dew was present. No such problems with the true open wire feeders! You can purchase these antennas in kit form for an even bigger savings or just buy the 600 ohm ladderline by itself! Check it out!!