Reviews Categories | Microphones | Electro Voice 638 Help

Reviews Summary for Electro Voice 638
Electro Voice 638 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Discontinued
Description: The E-V 638 was manufactured in the '60s by Electro-Voice, Inc., Buchanan, Michigan, USA.
It was the successor of the famous E-V Model 605.
Its frequency response is especially recommended for SSB voice communications. It was also sold from Heathkit as Model HDP-21A, (Hi-Z).
Specifications
Sensitivity Rating: Hi-Z - 150 ohms, -153 dB
-151 dB
Case Material: Chrome plated die-cast zinc
Mounting: Standard 5/8" -27 thread
Desk Stand, PTT: Model 428 (423A Base / Switch Riser)
Maximum Switch Current: 1 Ampere
Maximum Switch Voltage: 125V AC or DC
Material: Die-cast zinc and plastic
Dimensions w/ microphone: 10" high x 5-1/8" base diameter
Net Weight w/ microphone: 1-3/4 lbs.
More info: http://www.electrovoice.com

You can write your own review of the Electro Voice 638.

WB9FQS Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2013 20:14 Send this review to a friend
A Truly Excellent Microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the EV 638 as a shared gift with my Dad to use on our ham station that consisted of the Allied A-2517 transceiver (that was actually made by Kenwood in the late 1960s). We always had excellent on-air audio reports with a full, natural sound that still punches through pile-ups.

My version is the all chrome mic/base combination. Owned my EV 638 since the early 1970s and appears as sharp as when it was brand new. Like others have said in their reviews, it really looks sharp on the desk.

Later I used it on my Kenwood TS-140S and my current Kenwood TS-850S, again consistently receiving “great audio” reports (even during busy contests).

Not just nostalgia, a truly excellent microphone!

G0RTH Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2011 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Great sounding Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked this up on eBay for Ł6 and plugged it straight in to my TS-570 and went on air for comments from local stations who know my voice.

I received very favourable comments and it is one solidly built mic, in my opinion better than the Shure444.

Now going to try it on my K3! Sure this will be a keeper.

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2008 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine in a trade for some stuff I got free, so this one cost zip. Finally wired it up, plugged it into the Kenwood TS-940 and wow, this is a nice microphone! Put a nice long cord on it! My first contact was on 60m with a guy in Arizona, and he commented on how my signal just punched through the noise and static crashes. I was not running any processing. If you have a chance to get one of these, jump on the opportunity.

W2WO Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2005 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one with the original HeathKit. The HeathKit is long gone, but I still use the mike (now with an Orion). I am not an avid audio person and I work more CW than SSB. However, I have received good comments about my audio now and then. I did adjust the Orion equalization a little, using the monitor function for feedback.

Never had a problem with the switch or connector.

WB8RKQ Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2004 13:45 Send this review to a friend
great mic.  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is the perfect mic. for a heathkit radio nothing works beter then a 638 mic i use one on my sb-104a i have tryed every mic i could on it and the 638 worked the best i get great reports from everybody the 638 works great on the old gear it is a high inpendence mic remember.73

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2003 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding reports  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This microphone is recommended for radio communications. I tried it for the first time a few months ago and got outstanding reports from hams that know my voice. It provides a smooth natural audio even with modern DSP rigs such as IC-756Pro, FT-1000MP Mark V, etc. Mine it´s a Hi-Z model. I use it with my W2IHY equalizer (using the Hi-Z mic input configuration). A great product that we can keep forever.

PY4VB Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2002 19:51 Send this review to a friend
quality and beauty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I´ve been using the EV638 for more than 30 years in Heathkit, Collins and Kenwood equipaments and always listening from the others that my voice was reproduced with such quality and clearness that I am proud of owning 4 of them and never more need to go to the bands for testing microphones .

VE2AKV Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2002 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Truly quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I collect mic for many years and this one is on of the top...in quality construction and audio.
No cheap part just a pro mic ( fit for the great collins radio).
Look great on the desk!
Conclusion one of the best mic made on the market!
Normand ve2akv mic collector.