Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | KM1H 6m Amp Conversion Help

Reviews Summary for KM1H 6m Amp Conversion
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: HF Amps converted to 6m

You can write your own review of the KM1H 6m Amp Conversion.

K3DNE Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Reliable 6m amplifier!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm the 2'nd owner of this Carl converted SB 221
amplifier, owned for almost a decade now. Other than having to replace the fan last year this amp has worked extremely well for me. I can push the amplifier to about 1100w output but typically operate it at the 700w-1kw output level. In contests I use it at 750w output level and it loafs along. Tuning has remained stable through the years. My technically untrained eye has not seen any shoddy workmanship or cold solder joints as noted by a previous review. This amp has been a great addition to my vhf+ weak signal station.

RFSOAKED Rating: 0/5 Apr 23, 2009 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Total Junk...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got put to work on a SB-200 6m amp that was converted by Carl. The workmanship and engineering practices are terrible. Bad solder joints, the amps high voltage supply is in terrible shape, its not making much power and sometimes the T/R relay sticks on transmit.

Going to have to gut this amp and start over instead of trying to make sense of the butchering he did to it. From what i have read on QRZ today while trying to research the mods he does to repair them i came across many similar comments and a link to the reviews here. Just wanted to add that i have seen firsthand the junk he builds.

K5YY Rating: 1/5 Dec 4, 2007 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Agree with K1IIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
Agree with Steve's review. VERY similar experience as mine 3 years ago and took months and threatened legal action to get the "marginal at best" SB200 conversion from him. Lack of action and poor attitude and excuses were all I got. The amp has since been electrically updated, cosmetics improved and then sold at a big loss.

W3UTD Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2007 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had Carl do a conversion for me on an SB-220. It arrived well packed and in wonderful shape. Puts out just shy of 700 watts being driven by an FT-857D thru an Ameritron Amp Buffer.

It took a few months for it all to come together, with finding one on ebay to final delivery, but it was highly worth it.

Carl even managed to tame the cheap Chinese Taylor 572B to run in it.

A+++

KA4TWK Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2005 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Performer, If you can find one, buy it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my "Carl" KM1H SB220 6mtr Amp a little over a year ago now. It arrived safely and was well packed...It works great and I am very happy with it. The unit produces a very CLEAN powerful signal that dramatically improves me being heard. Carl supplied my unit from his inventory stock and the one he sent was very close to being a mint unit. I have only praise for Carl's attention to detail and workmanship on this SB226.

A good friend of mine, just bought a KM1H SB221 off eBay. He had a KM1H SB200 (Little Carl) that he dearly loved but has now passed it on to another ham that has been admiring it.

Bottom line....If you can find one, I suggest that you immediately buy it. All the hams I know that have a "CARL" praise it. You will not be disappointed.

Bill ka4twk

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2004 07:50 Send this review to a friend
still chugging  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a converted SB230 from Carl...must have been 10 years ago now.
Still working great. 500 or so watts, without a fan!! Wish someone made something like that new!
I have two of them amps for HF also...Just can't seem to let go of 'em!

K4LTD Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2004 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a SB-200 from Carl about 4 months ago it came in packed very well with no shipping damage. I am very impressed with it. about 800 watts out and no problems whatsoever, I would highly recomend his amps to any one. A fellow ham freind of mine just bought an SB-220 and I tested it out for him, works perfect packed very well and no shipping damage. I would reccomend his Amps to anyone.
Jim K4LTD

K2KJ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2004 21:13 Send this review to a friend
FB!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ahh, Jeremy communications or something like that. Well after struggling with an SB-220 conversion several years ago, went to the guru for help. Fixed me right up, but took awhile to get done and drove to QTH to pick up, but the results are worth it. People can not believe 1200 w out on a pair of chineese 3-500Z's, but it is true, and never had so much as a hiccup after Carl worked his magic, plus instant on is nice as well. Band opens, flip a switch and go!