Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | ICOM R-7100 all mode reciever Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM R-7100 all mode reciever
ICOM R-7100 all mode reciever Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1199?
Description: Successor to the R7100, a great radio with only a couple of negatives.

You can write your own review of the ICOM R-7100 all mode reciever.

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine new, back in the day and other than replacing the clock battery, I have not experienced any issues with the receiver. With its internal power supply, it does run warm after several hours of use. Simply placing a small fan behind it, keeps it cooler.

I do like the way Icom setup the front panel layout and it's easy to program and operate without constant reference to the manual. With all its features, including an analog S meter, it is still a competitive unit.

JV257 Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2004 00:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used to own an IC-R7000. Purchased the 7100 about 18 Months ago. Outstanding sensitivity and clever scanning modes means I have caught activity on frequencies I had missed before. Having an elevated antenna and good quality coax is essential. I can copy aircraft up to 1000Kms away - this rig just pulls them out of the noise.

KD7GGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2004 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver wish I had 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it new just before they cut out 800MHz. Been using it continuously but lately it seems to be running hot. It is a very sensitive receiver and needs a good antenna (or antennas) to take advantage of it.

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2002 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Great reciever, lousy scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 7100 from a friend who was getting out of the hobby. It was about a year old, and had barely been used. It still smelled new when I began running it for several days straight!

Reception was excellent in all modes and all frequencies, I could hear many transmissions my regular scanners couldn't hear, and most of the ones they could get were better on the 7100. The internal PS runs hot, so I ran it off my 35 amp supply, and then it ran cool and seemed to be slightly quieter, noise level wise.

As far as scanning goes, it scans slow, about 15 channels a second, maybe a little more if you put freqs in order, up or down, but about 20 ch/sec is about it. Of course, it has that annoying ICOM memory bank scanning arrangement. You can scan one bank, or ALL banks! Why do they keep doing this, it's NOT, an never was a good idea. Even new radios like the R2 an R3, and their new handhelds still do it. The only reason that makes

Of course, using a PC to control the 7100 solves the scan bank problem, and can turn a cheap laptop and a 7100 in a very nice setup. You just have to find the right software. I tried several, and they all worked ok, except for Scancat Gold, it was a disaster.

If it scanned faster, and didn't have the usual Icom scan bank limits, it woul dbe nearly perfect!