Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-202R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-202R
Yaesu FT-202R Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 145MHz 1W FM 6 Crystal controlled channels. Simplex or semi-duplex.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-202R.

HR1GGR Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2005 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Still Working!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this brick in storage for about 8 years now.On June the 23rd, home was flooded due to a creek that overflowed.All rigs(a bunch of FT-411's, a couple of FT-5300's, an FT-209, and so on....) went silent key, at the same time!
But, even after being totally wet and all, just blowed the moisture away with compressed air, VOILA! the 202 worked! It survived! I had modified it a while ago to accept 12V directly from a jack a put on the very bottom of it(a LM7810 voltage regulator was fitted inside, in order to prevent to burn when connected to the car cigarrete lighter)I have installed some extra crystals for simplex frequencies and now I want to connect it to an Private Patch III.If anyone has the MIC connector pinout, it will be a great help! Please e-mail it directly to me. hr1ggr@gmail.com

KU4QD Rating: 3/5 Sep 18, 2002 12:09 Send this review to a friend
OK in its time -- not for the modern ham  Time owned: more than 12 months
I.m amazed somebody added this radio to eHam, I guess looking for reviews. OK, I'll bite and add one.

The FT-202 is a six channel, crystal controlled 2m full-sized (as in big, old) handheld putting out one whole watt of RF. Three channels are fixed and three are left for you to put in your favorite crystals and operate. Be careful when you put in those crystals, though, there are lots of little tiny wires that, by now, have become brittle with age. If you aren't super careful taking it apart you are in for a long repair job.

No tone encoder is included, of course, and there really isn't where to put one. Stock up on AA batteries -- you'll need them.

This rig was innovative way back when. I sold mine to a local ham who still uses it, so on the plus side these are very durable old brick HTs. I just think their time has passed.