Reviews Categories | Microphones | Electro Voice RE27 Help

Reviews Summary for Electro Voice RE27
Electro Voice RE27 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $List Price: $840.00
Description: The Electro Voice model RE27 N/D is a professional quality dynamic cardioid microphone designed for broadcast production announce and voice-over, high quality recording, and sound reinforcement applications. The RE27 N/D utilizes a revolutionary neodymium alloy magnet and a reinforced diaphragm dome, a combination offering increased sensitivity (up to 6 dB more output), undistorted output at high sound pressure levels and an extended high frequency response.
Specifications:
Transducer Dynamic: (with Neodymium Magnet)
Polar Pattern(s): Cardiod
Output Impedance: 150 ohms
Output Connector: 3-Pin XLR Type
Case: Plastic Foam Lined Pad None
Low Frequency Roll-off: -4.5 dB from 400-100Hz
Applications: Broadcast, Voice-Over and Instrumental (Brass, Kick Drum, Floor Toms, Bass Cabinets)
Dimensions: 8.53" (216.7mm) Long x 2.14" (54.4mm) Maximum Diameter
Weight: 1lb. 10oz. (737 g)
Specialties: Integral Windscreen Blast Filter and Internal Shock Mount
More info: http://www.electrovoice.com

You can write your own review of the Electro Voice RE27.

WA3HDW Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I tried an RE-27 at the recommendation of a good friend. After installing the microphone to my Yaesu FT 5000 I get great audio reports. Many times I get comments of sounding like a broadcast station.

NA6D Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2015 23:45 Send this review to a friend
High End Audio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have a Heil PR 40 and it is a good mic. However, heard one of my ham buddies using the EV RE 27 ND and was blown away! He uses the same rig I do, a Ten Tec Orion 2. I immediately bought one and hooked it up. Wow! I get great audio reports all the time. I am running wide on TX, about 3.9 Khz, to take advantage of the wide frequency response of the mic. Running it without any adjustments available on the mic. I have a very low voice, but using the transmit EQ gives me the highs that are needed.

Unless you have a rig that has adjustable TX EQ, or an external unit, such as the W2IHY gear, this would be "overkill" and not worth the considerable expense. Nonetheless, this is a world class transducer. I will not part with this microphone period. I have had listeners accuse me of being a commercial radio announcer! LOL! Trust me when I say that if you have the right radio, you will derive the best audio possible. Highly recommend it, no reservations.

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2014 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Works nicely for me but try before you buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Microphones, being transducers, are subject to
the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
(i.e., personal preference of the most volatile
sort). In another review, I hinted at the idea
that you should simply find the microphone that
gives your transmit audio the characteristics
you (and hopefully those who listen to you)
desired. Audio quality is not necessarily
tied to brand name, nor price tag.

For me, the RE27 makes me sound the way I like.
It is my Goldilocks mic. I do highly recommend
a pop filter, though.

My second choice is a Behringer XM8500 weighing
in at 20 Smackers, but that's based upon that
whole slings and arrows thing I mentioned before.

For me, the RE27 is golden; your results may
vary. Try before you buy! 73.

W2TCB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2014 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the RE-27 for a number of years now with both my TS-990 and Flex 5000. At any cost I would choose no other. The slightly rising top end provides a bit of articulation that enhances performance over the RE-20. This is an expensive mic but if you have a radio that can go wide you will find none better.

PA3HGT Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2013 00:40 Send this review to a friend
recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a Kenwood TS990 and after using the Kenwood MC60,MC90 and the Heil PR781,i bought the Electrovoice RE27ND and is also directly connected on the TS990.I didn't got the audio-reports i used to with the previous microphones so a friend recommended this mike who owns the same transceiver.This microphone is a joy to use and i got finally a very good TX-audio after a few days testing and adjusting the TX-equalizer on the Kenwood TS990.The RE27ND is expensive but the extra $ is it worth and is a good investment.

73,Hans,PA3HGT

www.pa3hgt.nl

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 13:54 Send this review to a friend
My "go to" microphone  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I work in commercial broadcasting, so I wanted a "broadcast grade" mic for my station. I know about the Heil vs E/V comparisons. I just wanted the E/V RE 27 on my HF rig. I purchased my mic through Paul at BSW (800-426-8434) for a great price (not on their payroll), and after connecting it to my chain, I knew I made the right choice. Yes, it is a bit pricey, and maybe a little overkill, compared to other mics, but you can't beat the sound, especially for AM or SSB.

WA4JM Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2009 12:43 Send this review to a friend
RE-27 Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
All things being relative, in less than a couple of weeks I was forced to downgrade my RE-27 the GOOD catagory. I did a head to head test with the Heil PR-40 using no equalization, comparable levels, fed thru a Mackie Mixer and captured with Adobe Audition. The difference in sound quality was significant. The PR-40 was much warmer and realistic and immune to noise generated by a nearby monitor that the RE-27 managed to pick up.

The Heil is by far a better microphone and is also manufactured in the United States.

If you would like to hear the test, email me at wa4jm@arrl.net, and I will send you the sample wav file. It's about 880KB.

73, me

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2009 17:44 Send this review to a friend
"Rolex" mic for show and go  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just traded my RE 20 type mic for this one. The 27 is a nicer looking mic with the sort of satin nickel plate finish, with just a hint of color to it. Sounds great to me, I have not had it on the air much but have monitored it with a rec. so I can compare mics and rig settings(OMNI VII) thru some Koss phones. Been mainly using an old EV 654 broadcast omni on a Dazor mic arm. This mic is too heavy for the arm. Also, like all the other broadcast balanced lo-z mics, you got the extra expense of a matching trans. or some outboard processor if you are really an audio freak. The great sound quality is audible, even thru a SSB type bandwidth, and it is certainly the finishing touch to your ham radio "studio" if you got the jack and want a last bit of refinement to your dream rig. It falls into the realm of diminishing returns, but heck, take care of it and it will hold it's value due to rep. and demand. More flexible in adjustments than the RE 20.

N2OGK Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2008 22:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had all the Heil mics from the GM 10 to the PR-780. This mic kills them all. Large diaphram and very full sound. Great quality. You can't go wrong with this mic.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2008 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Best of the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used numerous mics such as Audix, Shure, Audio Technica, Heil, Marshall, Neumann and of course Electrovoice. I compared the Electrovoice RE-20 and Heil PR-40 against many microphones and believe or not, both the RE-20 and the PR-40 did not sound as good as the Audio Technica AT2010 ($90). This had been my favorite mic for a long time until recently, when I came across an RE27N/D. With a lot of doubt and hesitation that this mic would be better than my Audio Technica AT2010 microphone, I was in for a big surprise...
Not only that the RE27N/D had every bid as good and rich lows like the AT2010, it had much cleaner, more articulate upper mids and highs.
With or without the pop filter, the RE27N/D still able to produce stentorian audio with no pops from breath noises and any background noise leakage.
My two cents: If you want to have the Heil PR40 sound, get the AT2010 by Audio Technica. It's sounds better and only cost $90.
If you want to have the ultimate, then get the Electrovoice RE27N/D.