Reviews Categories | Microphones | Electro Voice RE27 Help

Reviews Summary for Electro Voice RE27
Electro Voice RE27 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $List Price: $840.00
Description: The Electro Voice model RE27 N/D is a professional quality dynamic cardioid microphone designed for broadcast production announce and voice-over, high quality recording, and sound reinforcement applications. The RE27 N/D utilizes a revolutionary neodymium alloy magnet and a reinforced diaphragm dome, a combination offering increased sensitivity (up to 6 dB more output), undistorted output at high sound pressure levels and an extended high frequency response.
Transducer Dynamic: (with Neodymium Magnet)
Polar Pattern(s): Cardiod
Output Impedance: 150 ohms
Output Connector: 3-Pin XLR Type
Case: Plastic Foam Lined Pad None
Low Frequency Roll-off: -4.5 dB from 400-100Hz
Applications: Broadcast, Voice-Over and Instrumental (Brass, Kick Drum, Floor Toms, Bass Cabinets)
Dimensions: 8.53" (216.7mm) Long x 2.14" (54.4mm) Maximum Diameter
Weight: 1lb. 10oz. (737 g)
Specialties: Integral Windscreen Blast Filter and Internal Shock Mount

You can write your own review of the Electro Voice RE27.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2007 00:55 Send this review to a friend
A great microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always been a CW man, but recently I have been trying to upgrade the audio side of my station. I am now operating in South Africa where every QSO to the USA or most other parts of the world is long haul. My audio needs to be better than average just to be heard at all 10,000 miles away.

I first got the Heil PR-40 mic, then the W2IHY audio equalizers and finally the Electro-Voice RE-27. The Heil web site compares its PR-40 with the Electro-Voice RE-20. It does NOT compare the PR-40 with the RE-27, probably because the RE-27 is clearly better in some respects.

I read up a lot about the RE-27 on various web sites and it always gets rave reviews. The main difference between the RE-27 and the RE-20 is that the RE-27 has a more powerful magnet and therefore its output is higher. I don't have an RE-20, but the difference between the PR-40 and the RE-27 is noticeable when they are used side by side. I think it is a good idea to let the mic rather than electronic processors lead the audio system. With the RE-27 I can call CQ by just whispering. My next door neighbors won't hear me shouting "CQ contest" through the shack window any more.

The RE-27 will tightly fit into the Heil SM-2 shock mount. To me it looks better than with the Electro-Voice shock mount. I also found the Heil XLR mic connectors and cable to be worth the extra cost. The cheap kind of XLRs tends to get jammed when you try to put them together. The Heilwire cable has excellent shielding

I use the VAC-s3.5 "P-pop" filter found at It fits the SM-2. It has a flexible gooseneck so it won't break if you bump it hard. I use it mainly to keep my mouth at a proper distance from the mic. Since I got this filter I have seen it and the RE-27 in several TV reports about broadcasters.

If you are using the Heil PR-40, it is probably not worth upgrading to the RE-27, especially if you are using the W2IHY system, which tends to level the playing field for most mics. The PR-40 really is a great mic. Since it is cheaper, the PR-40 is a better value. For me, however, the RE-27 is a better mic. ZS6SIG
KG2FX Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2006 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Second to NONE!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me start by saying I have had allot of mics in the shack.
I had the Heil PR40 & the RE20 in the shack at the same time.
Contrary to what you hear on the net...The RE20 blows the Heil away.
Now if you want to disintegrate the PR40...Get the RE27.
I had 1 sold it regretted it & went out a bought another 1.
Look around on TV..When you see people in radio stations look at the Mics they use...That's right EV RE-20's & 27's.
It is a main stay in this shack & will be for a while!!
Pay the extra $$ & get the RE27.
You can find used ones out there in good shape...
KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2005 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Audio Vanity!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The RE-27 N/D mic from Electrovioce is a major improvement over the RE-20. The N/Dym magnet increases the output level over the RE-20. Like the RE-20 this mic also produces a gigantic bottom end, but unlike the RE-20 the midrange is much more articulate, lending itself for use in "vanity" communications applications.

Electrovoice has provided two levels of bass control right in the mic, two switches allow the user to add low frequency roll off, and a third switch drops the higher frequency output by 3 Db. The mic itself exhibits an attractive presence boost starting at 1 KHz and rising 5 Db at 4 KHz, The high frequency response is sort of jagged unless the gentle low pass filter is used. Not that this sounds bad mind you, just an observation.

In the shack this mic had no problem driving my rig, indeed the output seems excessive and the mic gain was turned down some for proper operation. No issues were noted. No comments during QSO's were made, so it must be okay.

Elmer advice: This mic is capable of generating way more everything than most SSB rigs can use. Indeed use of this could be analogous to caviar at a truck stop, or hooking a racehorse to a plow, it would be a waste. After all, most rigs filter the audio band pass something a great deal less than this mic can produce. What would pass through the processing stages would be clean though and the mics frequency response is complementary to what is ultimately being accomplished.

This might be a good choice for the ham that is running a vintage B'cast transmitter and interested in the ultimate in Hi-Fi sound on the air. As always, it's the sound the receiving station hears that counts. Many modern communications receivers can't pass a true high fidelity signal due to intentional band pass limitations placed by the designers, however many of the new "super" rigs now have the ability to "open up" the pass band to enjoy all the transmitting station has to offer.

So, if you want a mic that costs more than an economy rig, and you like loads of bass, this might a good choice for you.
VE7RF Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2005 16:59 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new 4 yrs ago at BSW $449.00. It's only $50.00 more than the RE-20..... and sounds better ! Comes with a satin nickel finish... hum buck coil... 2 x bass roll off switches... one treble roll off switch... 150 ohm Z... and oh yeah... 3.1 mv output.... IE: 6 db "hotter" than a RE-20 (or a PR-40).

The RE-27 has a 5 db rise between 1 khz and 4 khz... which can be knocked down to almost flat by throwing one switch....if needed. I like the rising response.

It's absolutely xtal clear.... superb resonant bottom end... and free of imd, thd etc.

I use mine in the EV-309A shock mount and I also use the VAC-RE-20/27 pop filter (use just one filter in slot #3, closest to your mouth). I also use the OC white 29" Boom... with the 12" riser.

The RE-27 feeds the Behringer MIC-2200 tube/SS hybrid pre-amp, then the Behringer XR-2000 downward expander, Aphex 320-A compressor, Aphex 204 bass processor/aural exciter... then the Behringer DEQ-2496 parametric EQ / graphic EQ... + a 2nd downward expander..... then digital output goes to the digital input of the mating Behringer REV-2496 reverb... then into another Aphex 320-A compressor... then into an Aphex 250 aural exciter.. then into an Aphex 720-2.. "Dominator",(split band limiter/clipper).

The result is awesome !

There is NO proximity effect with the RE-27... and it does not POP. (The PR-40 DOES have proximity and DOES pop).

I use the pop filter screen... simply to physically restrict my getting too close to the mic.... and the main reason is to keep potato chips... spit, etc, out of my expensive RE-27.

This mic is the.... "real deal"... built like a tank.. beautiful satin nickel finish... outstanding audio.... and an industry standard. The 6 db hotter output compared to a RE-20 is a godsend..... my mic pre-amp input is maxed out as is.

later.... nightly on 3840... Jim... VE7RF
WA3VJB Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2003 03:03 Send this review to a friend
RE-27 trumps RE-20  Time owned: months
The RE-27 has been on the market for more than ten years, and was originally thought to be a possible replacement for the RE-20, which dates back to the 1960s. The key improvement with the advent of the '27 is a different type of metal alloy in the magnet, which provides greater electrical output to your mixing console, audio leveller, or other external shaping device ahead of your rig. This allows less amplification by these devices, minimizing circuit "hiss" since the microphone is doing more of the work.

In my application the microphone is used with transmitters as part of the specialty of AM on the shortwave ham bands. Here is an example:

As you can hear, there is no lump in the midrange that destroys the warm and inviting sound that AM is famous for. A smooth microphone frequency response curve gives the user the greatest flexibility to subsequently shape that curve with an EQ as conditions warrant. In that sound clip, during a thunderstorm, I forsaw that the stations listening would have pinched down their receivers to deal with static crashes. The clarity of the RE-27 remains good, a testimonial to the virtues of a gentle response curve, when properly received. Compare this to the ear-bleed contest style audio, and you'll grasp why AM has become so popular in the hobby.

Best wishes
W2WX Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2002 08:08 Send this review to a friend
A keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initial impression: in A/B tests comparing my new RE-27 with the RE-20, the RE-27 has a bit more high end, more output, which makes it a better choice for SSB and AM. It is aesthetically beautiful, with three filters, two governing the low end, and one governing the high boost end. Most folks using the mike suggest that you leave the filters wide and make adjustments using external EQ's. I have used it with both the Behringer mixer and the W2IHY EQ unit. The best price I have seen for the mike on the internet is currently $449.00 If you do not wish to make the expenditure, I recommend the Marshall MXL 2001 P, which, for under $100.00, gives great studio sound. Considering the price of Heil mikes, and the high end Yaesu and Icom mikes, it is worth looking at the excellent mikes available from EV, Marhsall, Nady and the like. They are clearly superior to Heil and the major ham vendors offerings and far less expensive.
PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2002 12:35 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the RE27 with the W2IHY equalizer and it’s the main microphone of my station. When I monitor my audio and compare it with others microphones, I can “feel” a difference between the RE27 and others, mostly regarding sharpness and audio definition (we can hear all voice details with a high quality sound). My both radios can adjust the transmitting bandwidth so is very easy to reach the good audio low and high cut frequencies that are better for my voice. I know that this microphone is “too much” for SSB and that it doesn’t worth to pay so much. But, life is too short. When tested with other friends, the reports are just great, outstanding, etc. It’s a microphone to last, built like a tank.
It’s already a classic Electro-Voice product.