Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig FR-200 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig FR-200
Grundig FR-200 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $39.95 (actual price)
Description: World Shortwave Radio (Survival) with
dynamo, 3 AA's, and AC power.
AM,FM, SW1, SW2. Flashlight. Vol. Tuner, Fine Tuner.
Mini Phone Jack.
Ext. Spkr. Jack.
Carry Camou Pouch.

You can write your own review of the Grundig FR-200.

KF5ZUQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2014 21:37 Send this review to a friend
An emergency receiver.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked this unit up, used, at a barn sale for 5 bucks with pouch and all paper work, no adapter.
I wasn't expecting a radio for primary use but I'm impressed with this little radio. It's a low priced back-up radio that will receive enough stations to let you feel in contact with the world during a power outage. With it's flashlight and dynamo, it's handy to have when you need it. I have weather radios with battery back-up that last 3 or 4 days on a good set of batteries but they don't have the option of being a portable with a light. The reception is OKAY if your not real picky about images, fading, and overloading. Very strong speaker, I've used it while working on the car or yard without any problems hearing and no worries of damaging an expensive or favorite radio. I experienced a little problem keeping the batteries properly seated, in the compartment, but a little foam fixed that. With some research, it appears these were one of the models dropped in Afghanistan during the conflict to inform the general public of what was happening in their country. I find that interesting considering that environment.

VE2CII Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2014 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There are 2 drawbacks to this radio:
1) Cranking it is a pain. You have to crank it
many many times to get a charge that will last.

2) The "flashlight" is pretty useless. They
should have instead used the light to light the panel.

Also it could use SSB.

The rest is pretty good. I was able to listen to 80 meters AM with it.

HFCRUSR Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2014 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Very good on MW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall this is a respectable portable. I also have the "scratchy" volume control but found that giving it a few spins before powering on solves that for at least that listening session.
This little radio shines on MW. It will do everything MW long distance that my big comm receivers do on a roof antenna. Very impressive MW selectivity and quietness. Who would even know that this attribute hides within such a low priced portable unless you try one?
Not bad on SW off that shorty 2-footer whip-albeit it will drift a little. On mine, FM could be more selective though.
As stated before, it has notably long battery life which is nice.
It gets 4 stars from me because for what little you pay, it returns a few nice positive surprises.

W4KYR Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Lasts a long time before changing batteries  Time owned: more than 12 months
Lasts a long time before changing batteries

If there is just one emergency radio you would want to have during an extended blackout just to listen to your local broadcasters, the FR-200 is the one.

Because the Grundig FR-200 has a analog tuning (no digital readout or PLL circuitry) this radio literally just sips batteries and that is it's greatest strength.

I've have used this at times for a few hours a day without changing batteries for up to two weeks if not longer.

Instead of taking four to six batteries, the FR-200 only takes three AA batteries and if your batteries are worn out. Just crank it up and recharge the rechargeable batteries. And if those rechargeable batteries ever wear out...those are easily replaceable without taking apart the radio. The radio can also run with an AC adapter.

This radio has AM/FM and Shortwave. It has a built in flashlight. The reception on AM is pretty good, shortwave is AM only (no SSB)and picks up stronger broadcasters pretty well and FM is OK.

I don't know what the current draw is a AM receive but it seems to be among the lowest if not the lowest of the radios on the market.

You can find these new for around $60 or used on E-Bay usually in good condition $25 and up. If you run across these at a hamfest, online or in the store. Do pick one or two up. One for your shack and one for your emergency 'go bag'. If you are a prepper or involved in ecomms, you might want to pick up more.

Despite in being an AM only rig, (and like another ham suggested) you could always add a BFO to this. And that is something you might want to consider as the Shortwave bands cover 3.2 to 7.6 and 9.2 to 22.0 Mhz which covers a majority of the ham bands.

Last but not least if the light on the radio ever needs replacing. there is no need to open up the radio to replace it. It is a snap (literally) to replace the light. Just twist a coin into the slot where it says "coin open" and the light cover comes right off for easy light replacement.

The Grundig FR-200 radios are low cost used, outstanding on battery consumption and sounds and performs OK for an relatively inexpensive yet amazingly versatile radio.

Now if only someone could come up with a QRP transceiver that runs on 3 AA batteries and last over a week..then I think we all would be really set.

VE3MVW Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2013 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Great except for typical Grundig scratchy volume.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the price you can't beat it.They originally listed for around 40 dollars CDN and were down to around 20. Great ears on AM broadcast or shortwave and pretty decent audio.I upgraded the rechargeable battery in it to a lithium ion and it does last a bit longer after a crank charge.Also came with a nice cary bag, and the flashlight is a nice touch making it a great radio for camping.I would give this radio a 5 however it suffers from the same scratchy volume control as does the G4000A that requires periodic dis-assembly and contact cleaning. Grundig uses the cheapest potentiometers known to man it seems for their volume controls.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Fine Rig for the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice little radio - I paid $25 for mine, so I did not expect much. But it proved to be a fun little radio, which I keep in our camper for use on the campground and while traveling. Now, this is all in proportion to its price - it does not equal bigger, more costly radios, but it does the job well for the price. SW is its weakest band, but it does pick up the bigger, stronger stations and entertains the urge for some foreign programming. Local station reception is OK and the little flashlight is handy, but eats up battery power quickly. The crank dynamo charger works remarkably well - yeah, you gotta work it rather long for a long play, but in a pinch a couple of minutes cranking will provide many minutes of radio play with the flashlight off. So, it does what it is supposed to do and is a lot of value for the money.

Just MY take... / K8JHR /

N4RT Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2009 10:50 Send this review to a friend
BFO Mod  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, here's an update on the little Eton Grundig FR200 that I recently purchased. I bought a TenTec T-Kit external BFO for $11 and found a place to install it inside the radio. I drilled a hole in the case for the BFO tuning pot and installed a small ON-OFF switch for the BFO on the back of the radio. I found a place to pick up power off of the circuit board, and now I can copy CW and SSB on my little FR200. It sounds great and has very good sensitivity. However, I'd still like to find a service manual with a schematic for this radio so I can properly couple the BFO output into the IF chain. If anybody comes across a service manual or a schematic, please email me with a copy. I'm still trying to find one on the net. 73, Ron N4RT

N4RT Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
found this little receiver on sale at a local Bass Pro Shop for $29.95. I picked one up, turned it on, and found that it had outstanding AM broadcast reception right there in the store. While playing with it a little more, I decided to purchase one. After I got it home, I started tuning around on the SW bands and was delighted to hear some good AM signals on the 80 meter band, loud and clear! The next evening, I checked into our Southeast AM Radio Club "swap net" and listened to the ragchew session for about an hour with the FR-200 on its internal loop and telescoping antenna. A clip lead to the shield side of my 80m dipole dramatically improved the reception, which was already pretty good! I think it is a bargain for the performance you get. Now, I've got to modify mine and figure a way to build in a BFO for CW and SSB. This little radio is amazingly stable although it will drift a bit over time. Audio quality is excellent and somewhat surprising for its size. Tuning in stations with the "fine tuning" vernier is a little tricky due to the backlash, but what can you expect on a receiver this inexpensive? At least the designers had sense enough to include a fine tuning feature! FM reception is so-so, but the audio is great on headphones. Get one! Now, if anybody has a schematic and parts layout of the circuit board, I'd sure like to have a copy.

AC7ZL Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2007 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Can't really go wrong with this  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received my FR-200 as a gift. Internal power generator (crank) works great, radio receives well and audio is good, though dial calibration seems a bit odd at times. The internal flashlight is a nice touch, though being an engineer, I can't seem to leave well enough alone. I removed the grain-of-wheat bulb used in the lamp and replaced it with a small white LED.(Unplug one, replace it with the other... it's that simple.) The flashlight is now considerably more intense, and the drain on the batteries is far less. I think this makes a great emergency/civil defense radio, as well as for general purpose listening while you work in the garage. If I'm not mistaken, this same radio was distributed in Iraq and/or Afghanistan by US forces to help spread news and information among the population.

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 20:05 Send this review to a friend
One hot little receiver!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This has a very high fun to cost ratio! Trying to pick up CW on it is hilarious, you get the whole band at once plus the drift factor, like the audio equivalent of one of those old biplane dogfights in an old movie. It does have some drift. But, it's amazing what this thing receives! I was listening to the AM Navajo station in Window Rock, AZ from my home in Sunnyvale California just lying in bed last night. All this has is an internal loopstick and a telescoping whip, and it gets amazing AM DX. Shortwave is a bit more demanding, but it picks up some amazing stuff. It's really hard to tell where you are on the dial since for instance WWV will show up on what the dial calls 7MHz and so on, but that almost adds to the fun, to be able to think a bit and realize where one is in the band. I like to just hunt around for weird signals, and whatever's out there.

This would be a great first radio for a kid, and of course it's intended as an emergency radio and it's very well suited for that.

I have heard the crank wears out if used a lot so I use batteries, and will only use the crank if actually needed, which is how this is intended to be used. This runs seemingly forever on a load of batteries so that's not a problem.