Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ALINCO DR-435T Help

Reviews Summary for ALINCO DR-435T
ALINCO DR-435T Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: UHF 35watt, ctcss dcs encode decode.7 character alpha numeric
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the ALINCO DR-435T.

NI4JM Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2017 04:37 Send this review to a friend
Great EchoLink/IRLP/AllStar node radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the Alinco mobile radios (135 & 435) for Echolink for about 15 years, used them for repeater links, etc. This specific rig I have had for about 10 years on EchoLink. Run on low or medium power with a fan and you are golden. For the price, you can't go wrong IMHO. I love the DB9 connector on the rear for the easy access to audio in/out and COS and PTT. I have never used these radios in the mobile so can't give an opinion there. I sure hope Alinco is not planning on discontinuing this line of radio. Love all of them!

VE6BTC Rating: 3/5 Jan 18, 2017 18:14 Send this review to a friend
what a pain in the arse  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok so I have been trying to track this bloody issue for a while I have a hum / buzz on the transmit and it's annoying as can be after after some serious head scratching and schematic chasing the problem Lies off of pin 9 of the M38268MCL cpu which is the CTCSS tone output / DCS tone output if you chase that little bugger around the schematic you will land right on variable resistor VR109 which is likely covered by a bundle of wires going from the DB9 connector

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2016 12:43 Send this review to a friend
nothing compares for irlp  Time owned: more than 12 months
this radio has been running irlp node 1547 for 4 years 24/7 with no issues whatsoever...no one in the radio market offers a radio with the db9 connector and the net info available,its hard not to get on the air.. the alnico is the irlp node radio of choice.. would I buy another?? you bet.. if it crapped out today,ide order another.

KK9H Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2010 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Fundamentally, good but has some warts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a DR-435MkIII about a year ago to use during events that my club participates in. When it first arrived the transmitted audio was muffled and simply awful. I contacted them using the information in the manual and they acknowledged that there were some defective mikes so they sent me a new one. The new mike was only a little better sounding than the original. I modified that mike slightly by removing some fuzz in front of the mike element and it sounds much better now. The second issue was that the PL encoder had been adjusted too high at the factory so that a clearly heard hum was present on the transmitted signal. After a review of the schematic, that was corrected by adjusting a small pot on the main circuit board. Now the rig works like it should have when I bought it. Clearly, quality control is an issue that Alinco should address. Now that these issues have been corrected, by me, the radio is working nicely, but I shouldn't have had to modify the mike or fiddle with the PL adjustment.

VK5FHAM Rating: 2/5 Nov 14, 2009 13:29 Send this review to a friend
50w FX2 version  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ive had this for nearly 12mths now, had to send back on warranty because final was fualty, also this radio seems deaf, the RX is not as sensative as the icoms ive had, really struggles on those distant stations.

It is a fairly easy unit to operate, has a nice strong punchy audio but the RX does let this radio down, shame really.

VE7OVY Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2007 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two DR-435T's. One has been on IRLP node 6493 since 2002 running 24/7; sometimes on low power with no fan, sometimes on Med or Hi pwr with a fan blowing across the heat sink. I sold this node & radio to ZL1TN ;cuz i moved from ZL to VE7-land in 2004. He's had the radio since and had no problems (he's just moved to VK-land and took his node/radio with him to set it up in Brisbane, fo those of you who go looking for him).

I've had the 2nd DR-435T since 2004 on IRLP node 1649, no problems in 3-1/2yrs. So despite some reviewers bad experiences, i have been pleased with my two, with a couple small caveats...

1- I found when the radio heated up, the squelch loosened up. If you're using the rig on an IRLP node as i am, this is potentially a problem. However it was resolved by going from carrier-squelch to tone-squelch on RX. and the problem went away.

2- The only other thing i dislike about this radio and its a personal preference, is the clunky/big DTMF mic. But since its a node radio i never use the mic anyway so its a moot point for me.

I've actually had many compliments on the quality of my audio through IRLP on this node. Operation couldn't be easier, the node audio/ptt cable plugs into the rear DB09 connector of the rig.

Except for the loose squelch when the radio heats up and the awkward mic, i am pleased with my 2 rigs. Perhaps i've just been lucky, i've not had the problems others have mentioned. Of course, your mileage may vary...

Kevin VE7OVY/ZL1OVY

Dummy loan: DECIBEL db4303b 100 watts continue duty
Antenna: COMET GP-3 dual band 2m /440MHz gain antenna
Power Supply: Samlex SEC 1223
Power meter / SWR meter: DAIWA cn-801v

I got my Amateur Radio License in 1988, itís been a fun journey and I am very happy to present this review to the Amateur Radio Community. I have several of these radios in my lab and I have two running full time for testing purposes. I also have an IRLP node, which uses the Alinco DR-435 T MkII radio. These radios make super
IRLP nodes. I have been using this radio for about 3 months. I have operated this radio with and without a fan on all power levels. The transmit radio frequency ranges from 430-449.995 MHz. Overall the new MkII works very well, the heat sink dissipates heat properly. The heat sink has a unique design over other mobile radios in a way the air flows between the heat sink fins. I have used a fan where the fan was set to blow air over the fins as suppose to pull air and this has proved to work the best with this radio.
Note: If you have a high SWR the radio heats up quickly, this applies to all radios. Please be sure to check the SWR before permanently installing the radio in your car or at the base. IRLP users: consider installing a RF choke, this applies to all radios. The
RF choke will minimize the RF power getting back into the radio and surrounding hardware such as a PC or server configured for IRLP.
The radio is right on frequency even when it got really hot. I installed this radio on an IRLP node and tuned it to a net on the IRLP network where the transmitter was continuously transmitting on high power for over an hour. Note: Please consider using DC, 120 mm cooling fan as it is required / recommended.

The radio puts out ~ 30 watts on a dummy load model DECIBEL db4303b. I used a Samlex power supply model SEC 1223. The radio pulled about 10 amps on high power. Next: I attached a COMET antenna model GP-3 to the radio. One thing I realized right away is that the COMET db antennas are tuned for a specific frequency. At 430MHz the radio showed an output power of 41 watts and on 449.995 MHz the radio showed 36 watts of output power. Keep in mind that that radioís specification calls for 35 watts on high power and the radioís actual RF power output is 30 watts on a dummy load. Note: at the factory the radios are tested with antennas and not dummy loads. After I tested the radio with a dummy load as well as with an antenna I was very please with the overall general results. A quick note about antennas: the resident frequency of each antenna is based on its tuned frequency or center frequency; therefore a power output variation is completely acceptable.

Overall, I highly recommend this radio; I have given this radio a 4.5 out of 5. No Amateur Radio Manufacturer has ever made a perfect radio and if a perfect radio were to exist, this hobby would not have been as much fun. Please enjoy, use, promote and test your Amateur Radio equipment under generally accepted Amateur Radio gentlemanís agreement. 73s

KJ4PR Rating: 3/5 Jun 11, 2006 07:42 Send this review to a friend
works for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does anyone know how to dim the display lights on this radio? I use mine for an ILRP node only (never had a mike attached to it since I purchased the radio) and the instructions are not clear on dimming the display. If anyone can help my email is KJ4PR@yahoo.com. For my application this radio works fine. I am in a rural area and intermod is never a problem. It does run warm however so I have a fan attached to the heatsink.

M0PZT Rating: 3/5 Jun 4, 2006 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio a week (from new), and although I didn't expect it to make coffee for the £149 that it cost, I didn't expect the radio to:

*) Get hot just as much at 5w as it does at 35w

*) Take around 4s for the squelch to close when decoding CTCSS with the squelch open.

OK, the radio doesn't have a fan - but is built very well, and you'd think that a 40w UHF PA wouldn't mind running 5w without getting too hot to touch - No such luck. The CTCSS decoder and open-squelch bug is a major issue (which I notice has been picked-up on here) - Most radios drop the squelch at around .2-.5s which is the ideal. 3seconds is not!

The 9pin data connector is just the link 6pin miniDIN you get on other rigs - With the exception of the squelch pin - It's shorted to ground when there's a signal (as opposed to going +5v). This radio will not work with EchoLink's "COR" feature without a transistor mod in your interface.

Apart from that, it's a fine radio - Would really suit a packet station, where the short TX times will keep the radio from getting too warm.

149 Rating: 0/5 May 28, 2004 04:36 Send this review to a friend
intermod box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive only had this thing for a short while but i must admit that I'm getting used to the i mod front end overload that i get 90% of the time .
it keeps me awake while I'm driving around.It's almost like a strange being out there thats trying to talk to me in i mod language.
Maybe there out to get me.
Anyway perhaps a close encounter.