Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ALINCO DR-435T Help

Reviews Summary for ALINCO DR-435T
ALINCO DR-435T Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: UHF 35watt, ctcss dcs encode decode.7 character alpha numeric
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the ALINCO DR-435T.

NO6B Rating: 1/5 Jan 18, 2004 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice try, but radio N.G.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the DR-435 because I wanted a 440 MHz radio with a decent front end (thinking a single-band radio would have a better 440 RX than a dual-band), & split-tone capability (encode/decode different CTCSS tones; note that Yaesu misuses this term by attempting to define it as encoding DCS while decoding CTCSS. I fail to see how this can be "split-tone", since DCS is not "tone" at all!).

Anyway, I have to give the radio a 1 because I had to return it twice, the second time to get my money back as the 2nd radio had the same problem as the first: spurious oscillation in the front-end, causing a rather high noise level over a 40 kHz bandwidth that would drift with temperature. If the ambient temp. was just right, the noise would completely swap out the repeater I was trying to use. After this happened a couple of times, I decided that this behavior was unacceptable & returned it for a replacement. To my amazement the 2nd radio had the same problem, just over a different frequency range. I suspect that all DR-435s have this problem; it's just the luck of the draw as to whether it will cause anyone a problem in the reception of their favorite repeater(s).

The other problem I had was that the CTCSS decoder took a VERY long time to release, especially on noise. For some reason, it always took 1 second if a quieting signal was present but took anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds if there was no signal on channel & the carrier squelch was set to 0. This is just way too long. Because of the decode function being implemented within the CPU, there is no way to modify the decoder to fix this problem. At least it never falsed.

I never got a chance to do a 2-tone IMD test on the RX, but it seemed to be somewhat prone to IMD as it picked up a bit more IMD than my Kenwood G707.

I'm giving it a 1 instead of a 0 only because I appreciate Alinco trying to make a radio with split-tone. But unless the basics work right (TX & RX), it's of no use to me. Also I give an honorable mention to the service dept. in Covington, OH. They did try to resolve the problem & when they couldn't, they arranged to get my money back. Note that Alinco no longer has any U.S. service center at the time of this writing, so buyer definitely beware!

WA7HAA Rating: 2/5 Jun 6, 2003 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Problem out of the box.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted separate VHF and UHF tranceivers for my shack. Having good luck with previous Alinco products, I chose the DR-135T for VHF, and the DR-435T for UHF. The VHF model performed flawlessly, but from the beginning, the 435T had problems. The main problem occured after the radio had been on, and sat idle for a period. When keyed up, the xmit light would come on, then go off, along with the display blanking out. This was about a half second in duration, then things worked normally, and would continue to do so until the radio sat idle again. Thinking it might be an SWR problem with my antenna, I connected the radio to a Bird Termaline wattmeter as a load. When the problem occured again, the power output was noted to be zero until after the xmit light and display came back on, then it was full power. The second problem was a noticeable "pop" from the speaker whenever the PTT switch was depressed or released. The unit was sent to Alinco for warranty repair. After it was sent back, there was a note about the partial fix to the speaker "pop", but no mention of the power output problem. The radio was connected back up, and the speaker problem was still present, but not as bad as before. The power output problem however, had not been corrected. It was still present, just as it had been. I bought the rig at Ham Radio Outlet, but it was past the time for them to be able to take it back in exchange, so I am going to have to send it back to Alinco for the second time. I would prefer that they exchange it for another radio, or fix the present one once and for all. The added shipping cost to return the radio twice for repair has quickly dashed the great value price that I paid for this radio initially. Note: Am using an Astron RS-35 power supply, which powers the other equipment in my shack without problem.