Reviews Categories | Contesting Hardware | Heil FS-2 dual footswitch Help

Reviews Summary for Heil FS-2 dual footswitch
Heil FS-2 dual footswitch Reviews: 28 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: This is the perfect answer for saving your relays in most brands of radios, especially Icom. You no longer need external relays or cables as the footswitch has two heavy duty switches, one that keys your amp right before keying you rig. If you have two radios as I do, and use the W2IHY EQ and noise gate, YOu can run two radios through the same EQ and Noise gate and switch between the two radios with the flip of a switch on the W2IHY EQ and run them one at a time through the same amp, again without having to use relay cables from you radios to your amp. Well built, simple idea that solves a lot of two radio set ups and interfacing radios, especially older rigs to newer amps. Great idea Bob, keep up the great work and it solved my problem and is much more comfortable to use than the old footswitch.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil FS-2 dual footswitch.

AB4D Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2015 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but needs improvement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this switch in my station for a few years. It hasn't failed yet, but it could be improved, and is too light for my use.

My station has laminate flooring and a hard plastic chair mat. I constantly have to chase this switch with my foot, as it tries to slip out of reach under my operating desk. It likes to slip and slide around quite a bit. My desk bears the scars from that. During use, I have to position my foot to both depress and try to hold the switch in place. That action makes it a chore to use, and at times is a distraction from operating.

Function is as advertised, and the timing is perfect to protect your amplifier from hot keying. In concept, it's a great addition to your ham shack, but I wish this switch was heavier and was made from better materials. Construction is painted sheet metal, and is a simple clam shell design.

I recently purchased a line master single foot/dual switch for about the same price. Construction on that seems much better. Soon, I will change the Heil switch for the line master. If I could, I would rate the FS-2 at a 3.5, a bit less than Great.

W6LBV Rating: 2/5 Jun 19, 2015 08:46 Send this review to a friend
"Not Ready for Prime Time!"  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FS-2 foot switch is another in a string of Heil products which have not lived up to expectations for me. I’ve owned an FS-2 for about ten years, and I no longer bother to try to use it.

But it may be inaccurate even to identify the FS-2 as a “Heil product.” It’s probably more likely that Heil buys it from Asian OEMs and stencils his own name onto it, in a manner similar to many of the products that carry the MFJ name.

As indicated in other reviews, the switch is problem-prone. In addition to the problems already mentioned, I also had trouble with the hinge on the switch going out of alignment. That made an already foot pressure-heavy switch even more difficult and tiring to use while transmitting.

There are better products than the FS-2 available for the purpose; go and look for them. At the risk of being repetitious, “not everything in a Amateur station needs to be a ‘made exclusively for the Amateur market’ product!” There’s a wide world of choices out there.

K2CBI Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2015 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Follow up 5 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I mentioned in an earlier comment it takes six to nine months for the strong odor from the rubber coating to dissipate. About two years ago I had to replace one of the micro-switches, which was not expensive.

Other than those issues the footswitch is pretty rugged and works well in almost daily use.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years of use with no problems at all.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2015 14:49 Send this review to a friend
No Problem !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have never ever have any problem with my since i own it about 5 years still going strong !

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2015 11:22 Send this review to a friend
GREAT switch for me. {:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned & used the HEIL FS-2 footswitch for 10 years or more with (3) different amplifiers & (2) different transceivers & have had Zero issues. It works just as designed & I have not seen any of the problems other describe in their reviews.If this one ever fails I would buy another FS-2 too replace it without hesitation.I use it because it works & always has with no problems & that's what I purchased it for. {:>)

N9AOP Rating: 3/5 Jun 17, 2015 10:39 Send this review to a friend
fair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with the previous post. For the same price you can get a Linemaster Clipper. Mine came from 10 years use in a PSAP an looks like it has another 50 years in it.

WZ4K Rating: 2/5 Jun 16, 2015 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable; poor quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I have owned mine for about 6 years and have disassembled and repaired it 3 times. the screws that hold the micro-switches fall out. As stated by others, the alignment of the pedal must be 'square' to the base to properly engage the switches. I'm done with it. I expect better from Heil.

K1HC Rating: 2/5 May 28, 2013 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these in the shack (FT-817 as an IF for a 220 MHZ transverter; TS-2000 and 432 MHZ brick; TS-2000X and 2 meter amp), and I have replaced two of them already because of mechanical failures (and I am only using them rarely for a few hours each VHF contest). However, I have not found another product which has the dual switch action. As others have stated, the rubber used smells bad. I just had my Heil single foot switch fail again and I have now found another supplier so I will try that out. At least most of my Heil mikes are very good (only one failure of a button switch there on a Goldline mike).

KD2DIV Rating: 0/5 Mar 9, 2013 17:51 Send this review to a friend
HOORABLE SWITCH  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this with about $7OO of other Heil stuff and what a disappointment. It is basically two pieces of thin sheet steel folded together. The only good thing is the spring is heavy, a bit heavy and the peddle is large like a gas pedal and on the large side which I like but doesn’t hinge well with the thin pin.
My main issue is you have to press it dead in the center if you are off to one side it does not hit the switches or only gets one so rolling your foot onto it or blind hitting is questionable. Also the action is gritty since it just rubs on the sheet metal sides it really needs a Teflon bushing between the two pieces of sheet metal but they are so thin for the size it would just bend it up. I called Heil on this and spoke to some lady and she was aware of the complaints and didn’t have any advice other that that is what you get.
Worst off I pressed this peddel on a corner and it seemed to have bent it up a tad really a letdown. I found a Yamaha peddle on Amazon for $11 it much better built, runs smooth smaller action, but single switch and the spring is a bit light to rest your foot on but much better peddle. I can’t believe Heil could sell this there must have been no R&D in this product.