Reviews Categories | Contesting Hardware | Heil FS-2 dual footswitch Help

Reviews Summary for Heil FS-2 dual footswitch
Heil FS-2 dual footswitch Reviews: 28 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: This is the perfect answer for saving your relays in most brands of radios, especially Icom. You no longer need external relays or cables as the footswitch has two heavy duty switches, one that keys your amp right before keying you rig. If you have two radios as I do, and use the W2IHY EQ and noise gate, YOu can run two radios through the same EQ and Noise gate and switch between the two radios with the flip of a switch on the W2IHY EQ and run them one at a time through the same amp, again without having to use relay cables from you radios to your amp. Well built, simple idea that solves a lot of two radio set ups and interfacing radios, especially older rigs to newer amps. Great idea Bob, keep up the great work and it solved my problem and is much more comfortable to use than the old footswitch.

You can write your own review of the Heil FS-2 dual footswitch.

KB9NW Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2012 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Hefty Switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
The switch is hefty and works great. There are numerous things that I would like to see improved but the functionality is there. Two output cables is a real plus, make it easy to hook up to anything.
The cons are the foot pressure required to operate, it seems to be a bit high. Also I would like to be able to operate the switch with my foot in a slightly different position than resting my heel on the pivot point. I would like to see a version where my heel would be on the floor and ball of the foot would rest at the pivot so that I could operate with my toes. This would be less stressful during a contest. Currently I operate the switch from the side to get this effect. Bob does a great job providing products that work. Now if the manufactures would just get together, I would have a lot less Heil headset adapters for these radios.
WA2DTW Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2011 05:44 Send this review to a friend
No problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using mine for years with the Flex 5000a. It works just fine and has held up well.
PA3KVE Rating: 1/5 Jul 3, 2011 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Exit Heil (for always)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is really a piece if crap!
I had it for 2 months now, and it went bad with switching.
Now I see why: the whole thing is crooked and if I use it any longer I thing the springs will come out.
Bought it on a Hamfest so no need to persue the vendor (unknown or abroad).
Earlier a bad experience with a Heil Headset, so no Heil for me anymore.
Real junk !
AE8I Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2011 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Good....Could Be Better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The footswitch generally functioned as advertised, but I found a of couple problems, at least for me. First, the pressure required to depress the foot pedal was excessive. This is certainly a personal preference, and for others the pressure may be fine. In addition, the pedal would seem to bind while being depressed - I could feel surface-to-surface contact during operation of the pedal that made the action less than smooth. After putting up with the problems for a while, I disassembled the foot switch, bent the corners in slightly that were causing the binding, and removed the spring supplying most of the return pressure. Problems solved; the footswitch works very well now.
N6MJS Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2011 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Smells  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am disappointed in the quality of the foot switch, but it does do what it is supposed to do. It says right on the box, "Assembled by those who care in Fairview Heights, IL, USA" - I guess it probably was assembled there, but it sure seems like it was done elsewhere. The main problem I have is that it smells terrible. The rubber on top and bottom of the switch smells very bad. I went to return it to HRO in San Diego and they were willing to take it back and agreeded how bad it smelled. We checked some of the other Heil foot switches and they were just as bad. The problem was they had no other type of foot switch. I ended up taking it home and removing the rubber off both the top and bottom. I went to Lowes and purchased emory cloth, I cut it to the correct size and used spray adhesive to attach it to both sides. I wanted something to keep it from slipping, so that was the least expensive solution. I am very happy with the GM-5 and mini boom I purchased, just not the switch. The smell is worse than equipment that has been in a smoking environment. I placed the rubber outside in the sun for 2 weeks thinking the sun would burn off whatever the issue is - didn't work. I was going to send the rubber back to Heil, but I am sure they already know about the smell since all the products are shipped this way.
KD7CAO Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2010 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Simple to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a fairly straightforward device, but honestly I must say it could have been designed a little bit better. First of all I really was hoping for it to be a little more sensitive and not require quite so much pressure to operate. Second, the cables should have been removable, this would make it easier to use in the go-kit, I don't need the red cable, but I don't really want to remove it and void a warranty. Also, would have like to have a design that worked more like a dispatchers foot switch, just a big round button covered by rubber. But, this is also a lot less money so that will have to work. For that reason and because it is a working product I give it a 4.5...
K2HVE Rating: 2/5 May 10, 2010 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Not up to Bob Heils standards  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The foot switch is OK, but not nearly what i expected from HEIL. Cheap stamped construction, poor fit of materials,looks and works more like a MFJ imitation than a Grade A product which i expect from Heil.
K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2009 08:37 Send this review to a friend
No problems here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this for over a year to key my radio and AL-80B without ANY problems or visible signs of wear. The one I purchased works great.
TF3JB Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2008 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Inferior quality and workmanship  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the FS-2 as an accessory to my PR 40 microphone. What a disappointment. Much too stiff, loud clicking noise when depressed and inferior manufacture quality/construction. I instantly ordered the Heil hand switch and have been quite happy with that arrangement. As much as I like Heil products, this is my first disappointment with their product line.

I do not recommend the FS-2 dual footswitch. If you are, nevertheless, thinking of buying it try it before you buy it!

73 de TF2JB.
N1EU Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2008 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Stripped Pivot Screws  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a nice foot switch for a while. But on obth my samples, the pivot screws eventually loosen and the threads strip out and it's not very obvious how to remedy. The remedy I applied was to drill out the tapped holes and put a long machine screw through both sides with a nylock nut on one end. Use washers to take up any play. Or just get a Linemaster GEM V2 to begin with.