Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron Help

Reviews Summary for Astron
Astron Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Linear and switching DC power supplies
More info: http://astroncorp.com/

You can write your own review of the Astron.

KE7DSR Rating: 2/5 Jun 2, 2005 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Good supply, bad after sales support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a new 25Amp switching supply based on the reviews on this site. I would say that I am happy with the electrical performance of the unit, but the second time that I used the rear mounted cable clamps the screw broke inside the connector, making it useless.

The store that I purchased the supply from will not take units back after 10 days and this hapenned within the first month.

I sent an email to Astron and also a letter explaining the problem, and it would be silly for us to pay $20 postage for a part that must only cost a couple of bucks. I can fit the replacement screw or connector myself.

Have I heard anything, NO. They could not even be bothered to reply to my email, and how much effort does that take.

I know that people slate MFJ, but their customer service is fantastic. I wish i had brought one of their supplies.

Do not buy one of these supplies and expect after sales support.

Martin
KE7DSR

W8ATT Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2005 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Solid PS/Well Built  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 5 Astron power supplies of either the 20 amp model or the 35 amp model. One is a 20 variable and 2-35 amp models I currently run. I have NO complaints of all the Astrons I have owned and have used them very much with NO problems. One thing I would recommend to people who don't need the variable is not to buy one for general use as the adjustment knobs can get bumped. These are some of the most well built, American made PS I have seen or used. Good price too for what you get.

W2PTH Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2003 03:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Power Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Samlex 1223 and kept it for around for 1 week before returning it because of RF hash problems.I am now using an Astron SS-25 and the difference is like night and day,especially on 10 meters.I do not find the fan noise objectionable simply because it just does'nt run that often and when it does it's only for a minute or two.Besides,with all of the other fans running on the computer,linear,and HF rig,it's no big thing! As far as the connections for the DC out,there is a VERY SIMPLE solution that everyone seems to be missing. My connections to the supply involve 4 wires,2 on the negative and 2 on the positive side.I simply used a 1 inch long #6 screw with washers and a lock washer on each and just put them into their respective binding posts and tighten the set screw on the side,END OF PROBLEM! Astron also includes an internal EMI filter,something not found on most of the others. With the Samlex,I had to play around with snap on RF filters on the power cord to reduce the RF hash on 75.
This power supply,and the others in the other in the Astron line are the only way to go when using a switching supply.

K3YD Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2003 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Solid, dependable RS-12  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my RS-12 for over 20 years. In that time it has variously powered my TenTec Argosy & Icom IC-735 (50 W. setting), numerous VHF radios and has even been used as a battery charger for a car. I had the top cover off only once, to do a visual inspection and voltage check of the supply when I purchased it.
The supply puts out a solid 13.8 V. with negligible "sag" within the 12A. current rating.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2003 19:16 Send this review to a friend
A nice little switching supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned Astrons for many years and never had one fail me.
My newest Astron is is the SS 18(18 Amps ICS) switching supply.
This is very small, light weight (3.5lbs) and complements my IC706MKII and my FT 817. (With the '706 I don't run more than 60 watts out). This seems to be the smallest
PS in this power range, and works flawlessly for me. The light weight and small size is a major plus when traveling, as I can fit the entire 'station' in my computer case as carry on.

Like other reviewers, I'd really like to see either a lighted ON/OFF switch or a small LED power light. With no meter, just the very quiet fan tells me it is running.

Only because of the no powerlight knit pick, I'd give it a 4.9 if that were an option,but I don't want to skewer the overall ratings with anything less than the 5 it deserves.

Allen
K6USN/VK4DSN

K4JQL Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2002 06:47 Send this review to a friend
VS-35M Great PS  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Astron has powered my shack for a couple of years now. I run it 24/7. It powers an IC-746 and TMG-707 without getting more than just a little warm. I'd buy another one and recommend it to you.

W8ASI Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2002 11:46 Send this review to a friend
RS-50M Great Power supply!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a Astron RS-50M power supply now for about 6 years or so. The unit has been on 24hrs/7days/365days a year and only turned off when disconnecting radios power leads or if there is a power outage. The supply has never let me down and can handle extreme loads without problems. The ONLY thing about the supply is the amp meter sometimes gets stuck or doesnt work until over 10 amps is being used. I hear this is common because the meters are pretty cheap. No real problem with that because I dont sit and watch amp meters all day!! I've run many different radios and amplifiers off this supply and it is defintely rock solid! I think I'll be getting the RS-70M next. 73's!

W2DTC Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2002 00:21 Send this review to a friend
excellent supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned an RS-35 for about 10 years, a RS-70M for about 8 years and another RS-70M for about 5 years. All three working flawlessly, no breakdowns, no glitches.

ON5XX Rating: 1/5 Nov 18, 2001 13:19 Send this review to a friend
My SS-30 died suddenly.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My friend bought one for me at HRO in Sunnyvale and brought it with him to Belgium in March 2001. The unit worked well for a week or two. It was feeding a IC-706MK2G without complains and suddenly it died. Can't find the reason why. It has been sitting on the shelf since then and now it's time to fix it. But......no schematic included, no schematic on the Astron website either.
Can't send it back to CA. Shipping costs are as much as the units price.
Needless to say that I'm not very happy with this purchase. Can't recommend one either.
If someone has a schematic, please let me know.
Best 73
on5xx@qsl.net

N4KAS Rating: 2/5 Oct 25, 2001 13:10 Send this review to a friend
dont push it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the RS35-m for several years. It has been quiet and reliable. While contesting and pulling a constant 35 amps, the supply died. I noticed that Astron paralled two 25 amp bridges. This should never be done. I repaired the supply, but after an electrical storm the unit went into crowbar and melted into the floor. I repaired it again but cant get more than 8 amps, and refuse to use it in the house. There are much better built supplies for not much more money. 73