Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil "The Traveler Boomset" Help

Reviews Summary for Heil "The Traveler Boomset"
Heil Reviews: 46 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $89.00
Description: Heil's headset for the 706
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil "The Traveler Boomset".

VE6AGE Rating: 2/5 Jan 13, 2013 09:31 Send this review to a friend
PTT sticks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought that mic a few years back, hardly use it. Now I find that the PTT stays on after I key down. It will not unkey unless I key up a few times. Is there a way of opening the casing and spray some contact cleaner in there? Short of drilling a small hole on the side and spray inside is the only solution I can see that I have. Any other ideas out there? Thanks, Denis VE6AGE

KB5FLA Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Good results for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just starting using this headset. Great results using it in a convertible with the top down. Good voice reports with no wind noise even at 70 mph on the interstate. Seems well made for the price and love the interchangeable connectors so I can use is on different radios and even my computer. Volume is much better than with the speaker on the radio.

AL7QL Rating: 1/5 Sep 24, 2012 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Cheap construction. Should have lasted more than 3 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was very excited about receiving my headset. I don't have a huge head so the headset fit just fine after a small adjustment. A few months later I was putting the headset on and the plastic broke. Again, I don't wear a 10 gallon hat and I am careful with my equipment! In fact, I had purchased a headset on ebay for $29.00 and the reports I received back were as good as with the Heil. Well, I wound up using super glue to repair the Heil headset. Cheap construction and poor design. The headset should have lasted longer. Now, three years down the road the transmit button does not operate the mic. Not sure about others, but I cannot afford to replace a headset every three years. I have never used the headset outdoors, and it gets relatively easy use. Again, cheap construction. I would not recommend this or other traveler type Heil headsets to anyone. I would have given this product a zero because of the waste but that would not be accurate. However, scoring a 1 might be generous.

NL7IB Rating: 3/5 Oct 27, 2010 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Duel side Headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this for traveling and used with a VHF rig.the audio quality was OK and signal reports were fine, but the heavy connector was always hung-up on something. The PTT switch is not the handiest,and the clip is worthless. The modular plug broke the first week. Fairly good quality,not made in USA.Not recommended.too expensive.

KR4K Rating: 1/5 Feb 10, 2010 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tried this for portable and mobile. Not worth the money. Lightweight, but when you can't hear a voice correctly, it makes no difference.

NN4BJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 23, 2010 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this single sided Traveller two years ago, the first unit failed after about 12 months of light duty use. I use the traveller in my shack no where else. The PTT switch just quit working, since it is a molded plastic unit it is impossible to fix. Got a replacement direct from Heil Sound, and now less than a year the second set has failed - a short has developed in the headset where the cable enters the headset - again molded plastic impossible to fix. Heil replied to my email with "We're sorry to hear of your most unusual results with the Traveler. That certainly is a very rare situation, to have multiple failures on two different headsets." No offer to replace or make good for these failures. Other than the above it has been a good unit good sound quality works with both my 756ProIII and IC7200, just in my opinion very cheaply made and therefore failure prone. Would I buy another one - NO!

K6ATZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2009 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Choice for a 2820H  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Am using The Traveler Single Side on my IC-2820H in the mobile. Reports say I sound much better on this than the stock Icom mike. RX is much easier to hear on a noisy road, and driving with a headset is safer of course. I don't always use it for RX, sometimes I reach around and unplug it from the ext speaker jack while still using the mike. Works great that way too.

Only two things keep me from giving this a "5": I wish we could flip the headset around to the other ear, and it would be better if the PTT button could lock down so we could keep both hands on the wheel.

Looks a little bulky and geeky to be driving around in my hybrid with this on, but hey I'm in Silicon Valley so it's cool, we be Ridin' Nerdy.

W9GSD Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2009 17:06 Send this review to a friend
SAFER FOR DRINING  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The sound from the headset is less than I am used to from the remote speaker. The boom mic stays where you adjust it. Audio reports say it is flat sounding, yet I am heard through the noise.
I use it on a ICOM 880H and I may consider buying another adapter for the VX-270 and try it on the ht to see if it sounds any better.
It may not be perfect, but the headset does make driving safer (I think) and maybe after a little more time on the road-I will get used to it.

W4SJV Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2009 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great headset...use it mostly for contesting because, along with the footswitch, it frees up my hands for computer logbook entries.

Had to get an adapter for the headphone jack in my TS2k, but had a junk box with 3-4 of them. Awesome unit well worth the money! (Can't wait to use it on Field Day!)

KC2RGW Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2009 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works well, legal for road use as mine has the single ear piece. Sound quality as with most of the low end Heil gear is communications grade, which for mobile is just fine.

Hot mic output for my FT-857D, but most are with that rig. Definitely needs to be run down low to mellow it out and reduce background noise. I'd prefer more noise cancelling quality to the element for mobile use, but it gets the job done with the gain down enough.

And unlike the last poster, when I saw the mini plug I simply plugged it in where it would work....the line out jack in the back of the rig. Maybe we need to make radios like they dumbed down sneakers replacing laces with Velcro?