Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil "The Traveler Boomset" Help

Reviews Summary for Heil "The Traveler Boomset"
Heil Reviews: 47 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $89.00
Description: Heil's headset for the 706

You can write your own review of the Heil "The Traveler Boomset".

KC2RGW Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2009 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works well, legal for road use as mine has the single ear piece. Sound quality as with most of the low end Heil gear is communications grade, which for mobile is just fine.

Hot mic output for my FT-857D, but most are with that rig. Definitely needs to be run down low to mellow it out and reduce background noise. I'd prefer more noise cancelling quality to the element for mobile use, but it gets the job done with the gain down enough.

And unlike the last poster, when I saw the mini plug I simply plugged it in where it would work....the line out jack in the back of the rig. Maybe we need to make radios like they dumbed down sneakers replacing laces with Velcro?
W4GRJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 11, 2009 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Does not come with correct phone plug for FT-897  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered this headset for the FT-897 which uses a standard headphone jack. The headset comes with a mini plug which does not fit the 897. I called Heil and could not believe the response. The head phone connection is 'universal' since it will work with the FT-817. They told me to buy an adapter, which I finally found but it does not work since it is a stereo adapter. I defy anyone to locate a mono adapter. Really poor customer 'no service'.
K2ID Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2008 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Great for long trips  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for about two years and still love it. I have used the single earpiece model for several 'two day' drives to Florida and back as well as a 10 hour drive to Dayton and a few other long commutes. Never a problem working HF DX with it and always got great reports. Even use them when the wife is in the car because they allow me to hear her while I am monitoring my radio. Always use them when I want to listen to my radio and also be able to hear things like the doorbell ringing with a delivery of a new rig. :)

The best part is that you can buy adaptors for many radios. I have adaptors for Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom for both the 8 pin and modular jacks so that I can use it with any rig I own or will own.

Always get great audio reports and while driving I clip the up/down control to my seatbelt, shirt or jacket. During normal use I have not had problems with the clip coming off of whatever it was clipped to. Yes, it will pull off if it is tugged but this product was made primarily to conform to the driving laws about not using a dual headpiece headset. I normally do not move around too much while I am driving. :)

Earpiece is very comfortable and this is coming from someone who went through 4 pairs of headphones to find one that was comfortable to wear during long contest hours. I regularly toss this headset into various places in the car and in my luggage and they have held up well.

Tip: Even though Heil does not sell interfaces to some modular Mic plugs, you can get around that by buying the 8 Pin to modular convertor that most manufacturers sell and then plugging into that.

In short, this boomset allows me to use it on all rigs without having to buy separate boomsets for each rig. I use headphones or boomsets about 90% of the time due to some hearing loss. I am thinking about getting the double headpiece version for Xmas for when I work weak stations.

Only one thing would make this even better for driving - a bluetooth PTT switch that can be mounted on the steering wheel. That is about the only complaint I hear from hams who own this boomset. Vox does not work well when on repeaters because they will drop you when you pause between sentances and you cannot control that. Vox also gets activated when there is a lot of road noise or when you are cursing at some other driver. :) The need to remove one hand from the steering wheel to press the PTT, is just as dangerous as using a Mic and for that reason I do not use it when I am in the car alone. It is actually safer for me to hold the mic to my face as that places my hands closer to the steering wheel in case I need to grip it with both hands=.
NE6RD Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2008 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Great, but heavy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works great. Never a complaint about the sound.

1. The clip on the ptt controller does not hold to the seatbelt very well.
2. When using on my HF, I need an extension cable. It is not made.
3. It would be great if I could wear it on my right ear. This way a cop does not have to guess as to whether or not I have a both ears covered.
4. The headband is not adjustable enough for my big head. It is not something I can wear for hours.
N1GXC Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2008 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Lightweight Headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Dual-Traveler (two earpieces) at Dayton in 2006 for use with my IC-706MKIIG & IC-7000. For a light headset used in portable operation they are just fine. I have never received a bad signal report from the stock boom mike. I use them almost all the time at home and in the field. For the money they are a good buy. I would purchase them again.

73, Dan WZ1P
PA3DUV Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
One Heil Traveller (twin earpiece model) is used in my car along with the IC7000 and the Hi-Q 5-80 centerloaded vertical. It has been in service for 2 years now, with good results.

The second one travels with my laptop. It is used as a computer boomset. I have to turn up the audio from my M1330 laptop quite a bit to get a suitable audio level.

For my Nokia cellphone I made an adaptor which interfaces the phone to the Heil Traveller. Great for handsfree operation. Contrary to the cellphone mike, the Heil Traveler boomset picks up very little background noise.

Mechanical quality is outstanding, after 2 years of abuse I've not been able to break it.

Great piece of kit! Recommended!

Cheers, Dick
KL7YK Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2008 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Bought two!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using the Traveler headset for 2 years without a problem. Have one I use mobile (single ear model) and another at home (double ear model).
Outstanding product for the money! Yes, it will slip until adjusted. That being said it is a light duty headset, the cheap knockoffs off Ebay are far worse. If you want a heavy duty headset buy the Pro 5. For general use the Traveler fits my needs perfectly.
N8OIL Rating: 2/5 Jan 11, 2008 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Falls off your head!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would not buy another one. This headset (double model) does not stay in place on my head and no effective adjustments are possible.
Inquired about this problem with Chip M., Heil's VP. He didn't know much about the product so asked Bob Heil. Heil said the headband can be "bent" to adjust. Tried that but this did not solve the problem.
I'll be looking at another manufacturer for the new headset I plan to buy shortly.
W4FID Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2008 04:39 Send this review to a friend
like mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one of the original single earpiece sets when they first came out -- about 8 years ago -- for my 706 Mk2. Like if very much. I use it for longer trips; not for just around town hamming. So it's been in 3 SUVs, a car, the box on the shelf, for over 8 years. It goes with me whenever I travel and kicks around the front seat and or floor, dashboard, hangs on the cigar lighter knob .... no special treatment ........ and it's as good as it was when it was new. With the 180* swing for the boom you can wear it on either ear which is a great feature. The earpiece and headband tension are comfortable. The audio is great. I did take the time to make the adjustments -- but it was easy and quick and haven't changed in years. When mobile I wear it on my right ear to leave my left ear/side unencumered for hearing and seeing better and I do clip the PTT switch to my shirt to keep it handy and the cable out of the way of my hands/arms for safer driving. When on field day or from my parked RV I can switch ears if the earpad does get tired. Haven't even replaced the ear pad or mic foam screen.

I have a new mobile rig now ............ a traveler for it is coming soon. No question about that.
WD6GLA Rating: 3/5 Jan 3, 2008 22:08 Send this review to a friend
overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hard to decide whether to give it a 2 or a 3 , so I give it the benefit of the doubt .

I used it a couple of times and threw it in the drawer . I couldnt get used to it . I discovered I just dont like a single headphone piece and it doesnt seem to stay put where I want it . Light duty . I realize the whole point was to build a headset to use while driving a vehicle , and the advantage of being able to hear whats going on around you as you drive . But the design of the headband is awful . Not secure at all .

Way overpriced for what you get .