Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | AOR 8200 MkII Help

Reviews Summary for AOR 8200 MkII
AOR 8200 MkII Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $600.00
Description: 1000 Channel 500kHz to 2040MHz (Cellular Blocked)
More info: http://www.aorusa.com/ar8200.html

You can write your own review of the AOR 8200 MkII.

W7NWH Rating: 2/5 Jul 20, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
I'm with WA2UCJ  Time owned: more than 12 months
Warning - rocket scientist required for proper operation. I'm pretty good at technical stuff, but this radio is pretty deep when it comes to proper operation. The manual, not quite war and peace and almost as boring.

I spent about $600, next time I'll buy Icom. I think the radio is fine, I did have intermod with local 50KW AM xmtrs. My Icom Pro III doesn't seem effected.

Size is fine, feel of the radio nice and solid, controls again nice feel. It's just the layout that makes me crazy. Your milage may very.

N4VNV Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2005 08:17 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one when they first came out and it's the best! I've been heavy into scanners since 1973. NOTHING is better than this scanner. I will say this, the antenna that came with it is very poor. With a decent antenna, it hears signals that my Radio Shack and Bearcat could not copy at all. I would send it back for the factory to look at.

2E0IRL Rating: 1/5 Oct 4, 2005 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these radios a few years ago when 8.33kHz spacing was introduced on VHF airband. I found the receiver to lack sensitivity and generally lack the performance of some cheaper sets.
I replaced it with a Yupiteru MVT-7100 after a frustrating year with this set and I have never looked back. The 7100 out performs this set in every department.
With the 8200 I had to be virtually looking directly at an aircraft to receive any R/T and when an aircraft was out of sight the audio output was very poor, at times unintelligible.
Save your money, get a Yupiteru.....

AF4KK Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2004 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The AOR 8200mkII is a great radio with great sensitivity and NO intermod that I've heard! I've connected my 8200 to my Optoelectronics digital Scout and together they form a great combination! When the Scout detects an analog signal, it tunes the 8200 right away to the correct frequency. As for digital, I use my Uniden 785D to manually tune that in. I enjoy the large screen the 8200 has (for a hand-held) and the entire keyboard is back-lit at night! Good job, AOR!!

KA3NXN Rating: 3/5 May 20, 2004 11:28 Send this review to a friend
I don't hear the difference  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am comparing this to a mobile Radio Shack scanner, and for the price difference $179.00 for the RS scanner and $600.00 for the AOR. I don't see ANY performance differences. I bought it as a high end scanner for Police /Fire /Emergency listening. The only thing it has over the Radio Shack unit is an "S" meter. It's not worth the $400.00 plus difference in price for just an "S" meter. Audio quality is poor, even plugged into an amplified speaker.

W5GEO Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2004 13:25 Send this review to a friend
All Purpose Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Whenever I travel the 8200 is the radio that goes with me. This is a very good all purpose receiver. It's easy to program with software. I use the ARC8200 Toolbox. Shortwave reception is better while running AC or using a better antenna. The display is large and informative. I've owned this radio for several years now and although expensive, it hasn't dissapointed me.

WA2UCJ Rating: 2/5 Oct 2, 2003 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Not happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very good receiver,I think. The problem is the instruction book. It is the most complecated set of instructions I have ever read in my 35 years of radio operating. I am not a beginer. I paid $600 for this, and I am very close to dumping it.