Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi
MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 6 Meter Yagi quadruples your effective radiated power over 1/2 wave dipole. 6 foot boom 2 pounds. Can use TV rotator and mast. Handles 300 Watts PEP SSB. Mounts vertically or horizontally. Current balun decouples feedline. Great front-to-back ratio.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1762

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2017 06:01 Send this review to a friend
did what was desired...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Multiple field days use and other random setups
in the bag I can say all of what was said before holds true.

Not very strong and unsuited to a New England winter.

Tuned well enough to work for SSB. Useless for FM as the elements are too long.

For what I paid it (69$ Vectronics) does the job but I'd never put it on the roof as a permanent antenna. For potable use with field assembly its pretty hard to beat.

For my use and application its a 3. I gave it a before but the ease of bending an element is a negative. It could have also been made without a stub match saving a few components and making it simpler.

My recommendation is for potable/FD use its good.
For rooftop/tower applications get a Arrow 52-4S its very robust and has better gain and less fussing for your money.

W5NM Rating: 2/5 May 27, 2017 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Sort of  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its interesting to read the comments on this
might fine piece of junk.
When I put mine together, I quickly realized that
if this thing was going to stay up in the air I was going to have to greatly reinforce all the joints and connections. I made several mechanical changes designed to strengthen everything and my coax pigtail was several feet long to go around and past my rotator. I also used ferrite chokes on the coax near the feedpoint. Surprisingly enough the antenna
resonated close to where it should (50.125) and
managed to stay up in the air for 3 years before I changed my antenna configuration.
I believe that my mechanical reinforcements made all the difference. The antenna worked fairly well after that.

WB9OTX Rating: 1/5 May 26, 2017 20:59 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Quality Control NIX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered MFJ-1762 6 meter Yagi from DX Engineering and waited 30 days for it to arrive. Checked out the parts list and found the 2 "L" brackets were missing. I called DX Engineering and I was told this was very common with MFJ. I eMailed MFJ and there was no reply. After 30 more days I eMailed MFJ again, I received a reply saying they would get the missing parts out that day via FedX. More than a week went buy with no parts. I decided to assembled the antenna and made the missing parts myself. I put the antenna about 25 foot high then checked the SWR. I found that the elements were too short and it resonated at 51.5 Mhz. I removed the antenna and used machine screws screwed in each element to lengthen the elements till I got the SWR down to 1.5 on 50.1. I wanted this antenna to run MSK144 at 50.280 and after going thew this nightmare I now have a workable antenna. I can't remember dealing with a poorer company as MFJ, never again ..... WB9OTX

N4UFO Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2011 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Bought used, plays fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I want to give it a five, but as stated by others, it can be a bit flimsy. However 'I' haven't had any problems with that, so far... I am lucky to have it up 30 feet with no trees nearby to pelt it with branches during a storm. Otherwise, the weight and size are an advantage as it has a low windload and mine actually "sings" in a moderate breeze... I used loctite as described in the manual and the elements will vibrate when the wind is just right... not sure if it's the wind passing over the holes in the end of the elements, or if it's vibrating the length, but it's kinda cool!

I wrapped up my own coax balun as suggested in the manual and have had no problems with performance. SWR is 1.1:1 from 50.0 to 50.180, less than 1.2:1 up to 50.300 MHz. Rig is happy with it and I get full power out. Running it with 50 watts, I worked over 50 countries this E season and 250+ grids. Mounted at 30 feet atop a channel master rotor with a lateral support bearing... with the antenna weighing 2.5 lbs, the rotor should last forever!

It works, it's still up there, and it was purchased used for less than half of new. (plus no shipping costs) Doesn't get much better than that.

WB5NMZ Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2010 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Follow up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Surprise! After posting my initial review yesterday, UPS delivered a package with new elements (almost 2 weeks after MFJ agreed to ship them). Guess what? The new elements were still 3/4" short overall! Quality control = job none.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2009 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Great for a 3 LB antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Cushcraft 3 element up for a year and it did very well, but the Gamma match would get wet when it rained and that messed up the SWR for a few days each time. I also wanted something a little lighter so I could put a small tribander below it without having to change rotors. I have had a MFJ 1762 before (about 9 years ago) so bought one again and installed it.

One nice thing about this antenna is that the assembly is very simple. No measuring to do at all. Just put the elements into the holes in the boom, attach the screws, and you are done. I don't like having to use lugs to attach to coax to the hairpin match, but I did it anyways, using a short coax run as a choke and then used a double female SO239 to attach the main coax run.

Since putting it up I worked 277 6m QSOs and 117 6m rigs in the June VHF contest, breaking my old record. I have worked Wales, England, San Andreas Island, and Guyana in the past week, which were all new 6 meter countries, plus Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Grenada on 6m. Not bad for a $100 3 pound antenna. And the rain doesn't seem to affect the tuning much, at least not near as bad as on the Cushcraft. When I had my previous one I worked France, Hawaii, Alaska, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, Barbados, and Montserrat on it, but had some help with F2 that time.

My only complaints are that it doesn't come with a direct SO239 connection for the coax, and my SWR is a little higher than it is rated at for the 6m SSB portion, as it seems to resonate around 52mhz. I can live with that. I would give this a 4.5 if that were an option.

Overall, you can't beat this antenna for the size and price. It isn't a serious weak signal DXing antenna for the big gun 6m op, but is a yagi for the rest of us.

W5JON Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2008 17:59 Send this review to a friend
6 Meter Travel Yagi  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As previous reviews have said this is not a Yagi that you would want to install permanently, as it would probably be destroyed in the first mild wind. Hence the rating of "4". However as a 6 Meter Travel Yagi it is perfect.

When first received I put it together exactly per the instructions and the SWR was 1.2 @ 50.200 MHz. A couple of the holes needed to be de-burred, but otherwise, all went well, all the Elements lined up and it looked good, and on-the-air tests were exactly as expected for a 3 Element Yagi.

I then proceeded to make it into a "travel" Yagi. I cut the Boom at about 38", just past the Matching Stub, and made an inside the boom splice to reassemble it on-site. I then cut all the Elements at the same 36" and made 1" splices from 1/4" tubing, for there reassembly on-site. I added a 5' RG8X pigtale with three Ferrite Split Beads with snap sleeves.

Once it was all reassembled SWR was still 1.2 @ 50.200 MHz. But now it ALL fits in a 4" x 40" fishing rod carry case. Exactly what I needed for my travels around the Carribbean, with my IC-7000 and Alpha Delta HF Dipoles.

John W5JON
V31FB, P40DX, G0AOH, V4/W5JON

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2006 14:56 Send this review to a friend
it's a 3 element beam..  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a three element beam and performs as one should save for it's very light only 3 pounds.
I use mine for portable ops and field day. It's
desireable features are light weight, easy disassembly so I can slide into a 4" diameter
tube for transport and storage.

I question if it would brave a winter with ice here in NE.

For portable ops, I have a 6' section of drainage PVC tube with caps and the antenna disassembles and nests nicely in it. Only need a screwdriver and 7/16" wrench in the tube for assembly.

Like others I attached a permanent pigtail and simple balun.

SWR for the low end of 6M is better than 1.7:1
for the bottom of 6m and pattern is as expected
for 3 elements. Tested against a CC A503 on my
15ft portable tower, I could see no signal differences TX or RX for either mounted on the
tower. Though the weight difference was easily
2:1! Any minor element misalignment made little
difference and it's bandwidth is reasonable (I only need the bottom 300khz). One note, if incorrectly assembled with the wrong elements
used for the driver it works but the SWR and
performance will be degraded greatly.

For 69$ I paid (vectronics is MFJ and cheaper)
it's lighter and simpler than any construction
I'd have dreamed up.

I give it a 4 as it's not perfect but it is a
serviceable product that is exactly as claimed
and shown.

Allison
Kb1GMX

N1MG Rating: 1/5 Feb 16, 2006 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Low quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
A disappointment. Poor workmanship. Poor performance. Lousy matching network. You could do better yourself with $25 of aluminum and some tools.

KG4RUL Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2005 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Good but fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine up for about 18 months. One side of the driven element got bent about 45 degrees down from horizontal when a tree branch got whipped onto it during hurricane Charley. Otherwise, it stood up to the wind.

Getting the antenna delivered safely in the first place was a different story altogether. The UPS man threw the antenna onto the front porch, pushed the doorbell button once and ran like hell. By the time I got to the door, he had the track rolling away.

I discovered the reason for this haste was that the antenna, in it's box, was broken so badly that it flopped like a rag doll. When I went to the UPS center to see about the damage, they told me that they no longer hadled claims and I would have to make an appointment for the 'inspector' to come from a 2 hour drive away, to my home, to inspect the damage. Also, the closest they would give me to an appointment was that he would be their 'sometime' during the day.

To MFJ's credit, when I called them about this, they shipped the replacement the same day. The included the RMA with the replacement and I used the reinforcments from that box to send the original antenna back.

So, MFJ Good!