Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi
MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 6 Meter Yagi quadruples your effective radiated power over 1/2 wave dipole. 6 foot boom 2 pounds. Can use TV rotator and mast. Handles 300 Watts PEP SSB. Mounts vertically or horizontally. Current balun decouples feedline. Great front-to-back ratio.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1762

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi.

N4UFO Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2011 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Bought used, plays fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I want to give it a five, but as stated by others, it can be a bit flimsy. However 'I' haven't had any problems with that, so far... I am lucky to have it up 30 feet with no trees nearby to pelt it with branches during a storm. Otherwise, the weight and size are an advantage as it has a low windload and mine actually "sings" in a moderate breeze... I used loctite as described in the manual and the elements will vibrate when the wind is just right... not sure if it's the wind passing over the holes in the end of the elements, or if it's vibrating the length, but it's kinda cool!

I wrapped up my own coax balun as suggested in the manual and have had no problems with performance. SWR is 1.1:1 from 50.0 to 50.180, less than 1.2:1 up to 50.300 MHz. Rig is happy with it and I get full power out. Running it with 50 watts, I worked over 50 countries this E season and 250+ grids. Mounted at 30 feet atop a channel master rotor with a lateral support bearing... with the antenna weighing 2.5 lbs, the rotor should last forever!

It works, it's still up there, and it was purchased used for less than half of new. (plus no shipping costs) Doesn't get much better than that.

WB5NMZ Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2010 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Follow up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Surprise! After posting my initial review yesterday, UPS delivered a package with new elements (almost 2 weeks after MFJ agreed to ship them). Guess what? The new elements were still 3/4" short overall! Quality control = job none.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2009 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Great for a 3 LB antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Cushcraft 3 element up for a year and it did very well, but the Gamma match would get wet when it rained and that messed up the SWR for a few days each time. I also wanted something a little lighter so I could put a small tribander below it without having to change rotors. I have had a MFJ 1762 before (about 9 years ago) so bought one again and installed it.

One nice thing about this antenna is that the assembly is very simple. No measuring to do at all. Just put the elements into the holes in the boom, attach the screws, and you are done. I don't like having to use lugs to attach to coax to the hairpin match, but I did it anyways, using a short coax run as a choke and then used a double female SO239 to attach the main coax run.

Since putting it up I worked 277 6m QSOs and 117 6m rigs in the June VHF contest, breaking my old record. I have worked Wales, England, San Andreas Island, and Guyana in the past week, which were all new 6 meter countries, plus Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Grenada on 6m. Not bad for a $100 3 pound antenna. And the rain doesn't seem to affect the tuning much, at least not near as bad as on the Cushcraft. When I had my previous one I worked France, Hawaii, Alaska, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, Barbados, and Montserrat on it, but had some help with F2 that time.

My only complaints are that it doesn't come with a direct SO239 connection for the coax, and my SWR is a little higher than it is rated at for the 6m SSB portion, as it seems to resonate around 52mhz. I can live with that. I would give this a 4.5 if that were an option.

Overall, you can't beat this antenna for the size and price. It isn't a serious weak signal DXing antenna for the big gun 6m op, but is a yagi for the rest of us.

W5JON Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2008 17:59 Send this review to a friend
6 Meter Travel Yagi  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As previous reviews have said this is not a Yagi that you would want to install permanently, as it would probably be destroyed in the first mild wind. Hence the rating of "4". However as a 6 Meter Travel Yagi it is perfect.

When first received I put it together exactly per the instructions and the SWR was 1.2 @ 50.200 MHz. A couple of the holes needed to be de-burred, but otherwise, all went well, all the Elements lined up and it looked good, and on-the-air tests were exactly as expected for a 3 Element Yagi.

I then proceeded to make it into a "travel" Yagi. I cut the Boom at about 38", just past the Matching Stub, and made an inside the boom splice to reassemble it on-site. I then cut all the Elements at the same 36" and made 1" splices from 1/4" tubing, for there reassembly on-site. I added a 5' RG8X pigtale with three Ferrite Split Beads with snap sleeves.

Once it was all reassembled SWR was still 1.2 @ 50.200 MHz. But now it ALL fits in a 4" x 40" fishing rod carry case. Exactly what I needed for my travels around the Carribbean, with my IC-7000 and Alpha Delta HF Dipoles.

John W5JON
V31FB, P40DX, G0AOH, V4/W5JON

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2006 14:56 Send this review to a friend
it's a 3 element beam..  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a three element beam and performs as one should save for it's very light only 3 pounds.
I use mine for portable ops and field day. It's
desireable features are light weight, easy disassembly so I can slide into a 4" diameter
tube for transport and storage.

I question if it would brave a winter with ice here in NE.

For portable ops, I have a 6' section of drainage PVC tube with caps and the antenna disassembles and nests nicely in it. Only need a screwdriver and 7/16" wrench in the tube for assembly.

Like others I attached a permanent pigtail and simple balun.

SWR for the low end of 6M is better than 1.7:1
for the bottom of 6m and pattern is as expected
for 3 elements. Tested against a CC A503 on my
15ft portable tower, I could see no signal differences TX or RX for either mounted on the
tower. Though the weight difference was easily
2:1! Any minor element misalignment made little
difference and it's bandwidth is reasonable (I only need the bottom 300khz). One note, if incorrectly assembled with the wrong elements
used for the driver it works but the SWR and
performance will be degraded greatly.

For 69$ I paid (vectronics is MFJ and cheaper)
it's lighter and simpler than any construction
I'd have dreamed up.

I give it a 4 as it's not perfect but it is a
serviceable product that is exactly as claimed
and shown.

Allison
Kb1GMX

N1MG Rating: 1/5 Feb 16, 2006 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Low quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
A disappointment. Poor workmanship. Poor performance. Lousy matching network. You could do better yourself with $25 of aluminum and some tools.

KG4RUL Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2005 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Good but fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine up for about 18 months. One side of the driven element got bent about 45 degrees down from horizontal when a tree branch got whipped onto it during hurricane Charley. Otherwise, it stood up to the wind.

Getting the antenna delivered safely in the first place was a different story altogether. The UPS man threw the antenna onto the front porch, pushed the doorbell button once and ran like hell. By the time I got to the door, he had the track rolling away.

I discovered the reason for this haste was that the antenna, in it's box, was broken so badly that it flopped like a rag doll. When I went to the UPS center to see about the damage, they told me that they no longer hadled claims and I would have to make an appointment for the 'inspector' to come from a 2 hour drive away, to my home, to inspect the damage. Also, the closest they would give me to an appointment was that he would be their 'sometime' during the day.

To MFJ's credit, when I called them about this, they shipped the replacement the same day. The included the RMA with the replacement and I used the reinforcments from that box to send the original antenna back.

So, MFJ Good!

UPS BAD!!!!

Dennis KG4RUL

K7MBL Rating: 3/5 Aug 27, 2005 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Yes....and no!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally received my 1762 from MFJ. Ordered it on a Monday, shipped Thursday...and only bacause I called them. They acted as if they couldn't find my order. I had the same problem with them before when I sent an item in for repair. Customer support folks are polite, but the actual service sucks.

UPS delievered the box beat to crap - not surprising! MFJ had taped a piece of sced 40 pvc pipe to the outside of the box, probably the only thing that saved it's life. Took it out in the shop, had it built in about 20 minutes, including a "Pigtail/balun" setup with SO239 so I could disconnect it from the feedline. This should have been included! Here's what I found during assymbly:

This has to be the cheesiest antenna I have ever put together. Nothing like my Cushcraft beams. It really looks like all the holes were drilled with a hand drill. The chamfered holes were extremely rough. The elements did not line up, they had to be bent into place. When the boom was attached to my rotator all of the elements were drooping to one side more than the other. Being the anal kind of guy I am, I bent the elements once again so everything was straight. The director holes in the boom were too large, leaving the screws on the other side to soak up the stress. The insulators through which the driven elements pass could be improved.

On the plus side, it builds really quick. I put my MFJ-269 analyzer on it, this is what I found:

Bandwidth (@ 2.0 SWR): 49.4 to 51.00
Bandwidth center: 50.3
SWR @ 50.125 1.4

No adjustments were made to the antenna, these readings are "out-of-the-box". I felt it should be closer to 1.0 at the optimum freq, but I can live with 1.4. The hairpin match is a breeze - like it. Listening-wise, I don't hear much difference between the 1762 and my homebrew rotatable dipole.

Yes, I know, you get what you pay for. But, that's no excuse for shody worksmanship! MFJ really should be embarrassed! It's a really good design, just poorly constructed. Kinda wished I had gone with a 4 or 5 element beam now. Oh well... I would have given it a "4", but I felt that too much was required to whip this little antenna into shape.

In summary, it's not a bad antenna if you wanna tinker. It performs quite nicely. It's tuned right out of the box, is inexpensive and doesn't take up a lot of room in your farm. I just wish after all these years MFJ would get their act together.

Mike

KF4HPY Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2003 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Does as it Should  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi, I bought my 6m Yagi at a local hamfest here near Atlanta from Richard Stubbs (MFJ Customer Service) in '98(?)when they were new on the market. I built it and installed it within the hour. Looking it over, I saw many clever tricks in design and manufacture. I liked the sheet metal Beta match spanning the feed point. I use copper wire myself. I wondered about the grommets isolating the elements lasting; no problem. I did notice the holes for the elements were not aligned; allowing the tubes to be above or below center. Bent them to level. The attachment of the tubes was clever and cheap. Mine are still tight in their mountings. So how did it do? Very well! If I heard a whisper in the air on the dipole; it was 57 on the Yagi. I've logged Cuba, Colorado, New England, and points between. This with either a 100W DX 70 or the MFJ 9406; the MFJ Yagi made the difference betweeen contact or no contact. I thought this was pretty good for $80. about half the price of the big names. Before I had been using a homebrew copper pipe 2 element Yagi, a homebrew tube rotatable dipole or a 6m copper J-pole for FM contacts. So if you can't build your own or lack money; try the MFJ 6m Yagi. Ed KF4HPY

KD5VHZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2003 10:46 Send this review to a friend
GOOD STARTER BEAM FOR 6 METERS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After getting on 6 meters with a Par Omni Loop I found that I wanted a beam. I didn't have a tower, or even a proper mast, just a 22 foot section of fence top rail. The MFJ-1762 went together easily, tuned 1.2:1 SWR on 50.125 "out of the box" and along with a Radio Shack TV rotor I was on the air within an hour of beginning assembly. The antenna is light and I admit I was surprised that it weathered several T-storms this season without damage. I worked most of the US / Canada and several other countries this summer with this antenna and 25 watts. I'm moving up to a larger beam (and mast) and a 100 watt rig but this antenna played well for me and got me started on 6 meters nicely.
Doug KD5VHZ