Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi
MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 6 Meter Yagi quadruples your effective radiated power over 1/2 wave dipole. 6 foot boom 2 pounds. Can use TV rotator and mast. Handles 300 Watts PEP SSB. Mounts vertically or horizontally. Current balun decouples feedline. Great front-to-back ratio.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1762

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1762 6m 3 element yagi.

W5SSG Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2003 07:39 Send this review to a friend
good and don't break the bank  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna is good, went together just fine. Will work with a tv rotor. This my second one sold my first one and got a M2 6M5X. Now I'm back to the MFJ 1762. I got the SWR down to 1.1 at 50.125, and this was mesured with a MFJ 259
I would recommend this antenna to anyone. It took me 17 minutes to assembly it. Be careful the elements will bend But it's a fun antenna you don't need to bride a crew to come over to help you erect it.

I built a Jumper for mine so I can screw off and on coax.

take care and ham it up!

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2003 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Worked for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one of these for a couple of years, and it resonated fine in the 6 meter band. The only problem I had was when I hooked up a center insulator to it to try and make the coax connection easier. MFJ said not to do something like this in the manual, and they were right!

Anyway, made plenty of contacts with it, including F2 contacts into France, Hawaii, the Carribean, South America. It is extremely lightweight, and very easy to assemble. WOuld make a great rover antenna. Had it fall during an antenna project and bent some of the elements, but they were easy to bend back. I only sold it because I bought a Mini Quad which covered 6 meters as well as HF.

KC0W Rating: 0/5 Jun 12, 2003 01:00 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had two of these antennas over the course of three years. I got rid of the first one because it would not resonate any where near the 6 meter band.

Like a fool, I bought another one & had the same exact problems as the first one. The matching system on this antenna is a JOKE!!!

I built my own 3 element beam after I gave up on this MFJ piece of junk & now have a yagi with a SWR of 1:3 over most of the 6 meter band.

The only MFJ product that I have ever had any luck with is their dummy load. You are a true miracle worker if you can get this antenna to play.

Tom kcw

AA5CH Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2002 15:39 Send this review to a friend
inexpensive, simple, light, and effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these antennas for over a year. It was mounted on a 30 foot pushup pole and turned with a Radio Shack TV rotator. I was able to work deep into Eastern Europe on a good F2 opening and worked a couple hundred grids in North America during Sporadic E openings while running 100 watts. One of the elements did bend after becoming ice loaded.

No, you probably won't be working a lot of weak signal stuff with this antenna, but if there is propagation, it will give you a presence on six meters with minimal expense and hassle.

Brad
AA5CH

KC2SSB Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2002 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Works well, bends easily!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna about a year ago and it's worked fantastic. I've worked all of the UK and many European countries with it only a few feet about the roof of my ranch house. The instructions were pretty simple and it didn't take long to put together.

Recently we had some storms come through with a maximum recorded sustained winds of 42mph. As a result, the reflector was bent into an upside down V shape. MFJ says that this is unusual and that the winds would had to have been much stronger, which is possible considering a sustained wind is any wind blowing for 120+ seconds and a much faster burst could have bent the reflector. MFJ has been great, offering to replace any bent elements.

In summary, if you're looking for a low cost antenna to get you going on 6m SSB, this is a good antenna. If you live in an area subseptible to regular high speed winds, you might want to go for something a little more solidly made. My experience may be a unique one, but remember the old adage "You get what you pay for."