Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1764 Dual 2m/6m omnidirectional Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1764 Dual 2m/6m omnidirectional
MFJ-1764 Dual 2m/6m omnidirectional Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Gives twice the omni-directional gain of a single 5/8 Wave
MFJ's stacked 5/8 wave radiators give you more than twice the omnidirectional gain of a single 5/8 wave radiators!
Wide 10MHz 2:1 SWR bandwidth...excellent ferrite choke balun feedline decoupling...shut choke for bleeding off unwanted static... strong lightweight aluminum.
Works as an excellent 6 Meter full halfwave centerfed antenna. Perfect for MFJ-9406 or MFJ-9606 radio/antenna combination.
Fully assembled -- simply attach radiators -- no tuning required. Mounts vertically for FM/packet or horizontally for SSB. Installs with single U-bolt (included) to any 1 to 1 1/2 inch mast or tower leg. Weighs in at 1 1/2 pounds with two 47 inch radiators and a 23 inch boom. Mast is not included.
Has MFJ's exclusive Permanent Molecular Bonding Technology -- new metal coating that's so tough it won't come off unless metal comes off.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1764

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1764 Dual 2m/6m omnidirectional.

WA7SGS Rating: 2/5 Nov 3, 2013 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Paid for two bands and got one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My base station setup is an ICOM IC-7200 with an LDG AT-100ProII and a Kenwood TM-281. I ordered up this antenna along with the multiplexer plus I used two coax jumpers of high quality to go with a 50' LMR-400 coax to bring the signals into the QTH. You would think this would have resulted in nice 6m and 2m performance. All I got out of the deal was 2m. My antenna tuner never could get a match for a supposedly resonant antenna anywhere on the 6m band.

Add in the flimsy mounting of the radials and the exposed to the weather innards to see this really isn't that good of an antenna for outdoor use.

I'll be replacing it with a simple but durable j-pole most likely if the seller can use his noodle to come up with a 6m/2m version. If not, I'll still scrap this Mighty Fine Junk antenna and just go with a 2m j-pole.

K0PG Rating: 3/5 Jul 18, 2011 12:38 Send this review to a friend
3.5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for a few years, mostly in storage. When erected as a horizontal dipole for 6 meters it does just what a dipole should. It has nulls of the ends and is best broadside.

I hadn't used it for 2m weak signal before, but I thought that I would try it that way for the 2011 CQWW VHF. It was put up in the clear at 30 feet on a fiberglass mast.

Six meters worked as expected, but I was just not hearing much on 2. I kerchunked a repeater about 10 miles away, and it came back full quieting, but I just wasn't hearing much on SSB or CW.

I quickly ran up a 4 el. LPY that covers 2 and 70cm to about 20 feet on another mast. There was a great difference. The little LPY with its 2 foot long boom heard and worked stations that could not be heard on the higher MFJ-1764.

I would surmise that for reasonably local FM work the 1764 would be OK. I wouldn't count on it for much more than that.

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2007 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I went with the MFJ because of cost and so far so good. It's been up through 46 inches of rain and bad storms, great SWR on both bands and even the MURS freqs. It out performed a 2 meter Diamound antenna I had up. If your looking for a dual band 2/6 meter antenna this may be the one.

N5EAT Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2005 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Mine was great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one up for 8 or 9 years before the top leg broke off in a tremendous storm. I didn't have any weather related problems. However, I purchased one of the first runs of this antenna. Perhaps quality control has degraded.

The performance of the antenna on both 6 and 2 meters was superb. I'll probably get another if I can find one when I'm browsing a fest or visit a store. I'm becomming wary of ordering merchandise like this because you can't check for all the parts, etc. But bottom line, it's a great radiating and receiving antenna.

JANK Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2005 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Could be better... lots... what have you done?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It works as advertised (in good weather) and the build quality is average but not spectacular, BUT the designer must live in an arrid desert and has forgotten that the rest of the world has something called WEATHER. The antenna is basically a dipole. Two elements screwed into a metal support arm via ceramic insulators. The support arm is metal square box section with an SO-259 (UHF) bulkhead socket some six inches from the far end. Coax leads via a balun inside the square box section onto tag-strips supporting bare feeder wires (about ten inches long) that link to the dipole elements. The box section is HOLLOW with OPEN ENDS, at the support end the wind and rain and snow blows in over the rear of the exposed SO-259 (UHF) bulkhead connector. At the dipole end, the rain, wind, snow, sleet and bird-shit splatters against the exposed base connections of the dipole elements. If that wasn't bad enough, the support-arm has holes EXACTLY where the tagstrips that carry the feeder wires are mounted, so they get the rain and snow and sleet and bird droppings... you get the idea? Those tagstrips are of the paxolin type... how long do you thing they're going to last exposed to the weather?

In perfect weather, out in death valley, you'll get consistant SWR. If you happen to be unfortunate to live anywhere else in the world, the completely exposed wiring renders this antenna 'dubious' at best, and a TOTAL LOSS at worst.

Oh Craps! If you work at MFJ, and you're the designer of this, come on down and explain yourself. What have you done? And whatever possessed you to do it like this? Why do we bother lovingly putting amalgamating tape and insulating boots over all our connectors to make them weatherproof when you go and expose your coax, the back of the connectors, the feeder line, the capacitors, all the connections etc etc to everything the wind and weather (sleet, snow and ice - not to mention the famous bird muck) that gets thrown at it.

For Gawds sake, that centre support section needs to be weatherproof. MFJ, hang your heads in shame on this one.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2004 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Great starter antenna for 6  Time owned: more than 12 months
Inexpensive, easy to put together and install, and works like a dipole should. If you can't mount a 6 meter dipole because of space or support issues, you can put this one up vertical. Will also work on 2 meters with gain. Ran mine on 6 for about a year with good results.

KD5RHF Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2004 02:52 Send this review to a friend
good gain on 2M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have mounted my antenna vertically and have only used it on 2 meters. It has noticeable gain over a 1/4 wave vertical. Low SWR without tuning. I like the fact that it sticks out from the mast it is mounted, it allows another antenna to be placed on top of the mast.

N8PEP Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2003 23:06 Send this review to a friend
A true surprise. The antenna exceeded my expectations.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the MFJ-1764 for over five years. It still looks great and performs well. SWR is less than 2:1 on both 2m and 6m. As for performance, the best I can offer is to compare it to other antennas. I have owned and used three other 2m antennas: The Cushcraft Ringo Ranger II, the AES Isopole, and the Workman UV200. The MFJ-1764 outperforms the Isopole noticeably; its performance is essentially equivalent to the Workman; but it does not perform quite as well as the Ringo. For 6m, I have owned the Comet GP-15, and an Arrow 6m ground plane, in an addition to the MFJ-1764. The MFJ clearly outperformed the Comet on 6m, and gave roughly comparable performance on 2m. Also, the MFJ performed just slightly better than the Arrow ground plane.

I do not like the extremely flexible radials, but I have had no trouble whatsoever with the antenna.

I am very surprised at the MFJ-1764's performance. I was told by several other hams that the design of the MFJ-1764 should not give very good performance. And yet, its performance is either better than or equal to most of the other antennas I've tried. It is very lightweight, easily mounted, and apparently fairly rugged. I would give it strong consideration if you want a basic vertical antenna for 6m and 2m. I have never used mine mounted horizontally, although the instructions claim that it can be used this way.

W2PSK Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2002 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Works well, bends easily  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for quite a while and I've found that it outperforms many antennas when used vertically. I am currently using it on 6m, but I have also used it on 2m. I get a good match on both bands and with my 6m tuner, I get a flat SWR. It can also be mounted horizontally and acts like a dipole.

Recently we had some storms come through with a maximum recorded sustained winds of 42mph. As a result, the top element bent almost 90 degrees. MFJ says that this is unusual and that the winds would had to have been much stronger, which is possible considering a sustained wind is any wind blowing for 120+ seconds and a much faster burst could have bent the element. MFJ has been great, offering to replace the bent element.

In summary, it works well at a good price. If you don't need super high gain antenna, get this one. One advantage is because of the design, you can actually mount it on the same mast as a top mounted vertical, as it sticks out about 2 feet or so from the mast (see the picture).