Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Icom R-70 General Coverage receiver. Help

Reviews Summary for Icom R-70 General Coverage receiver.
Icom R-70 General Coverage receiver. Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $750
Description: Compact, professional looking radio, blue flourescent display, 100hz readout.

You can write your own review of the Icom R-70 General Coverage receiver..

AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a second hand Icom-R70 hf receiver in pristine condition original owner used it for a few hours then it went in storage for a long time performance monitoring hf aero is excellent hooked up to a Wellbrook-ALA1530 active loop very easy to use and the audio from the internal speaker is really good also have the R71A,R75..

KC0KEK Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2013 14:55 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Performer Three Decades Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted an R70 when they came out, but as a teenager, I couldn't afford one. I finally bought one in 2010, and it's everything everyone praised back in the day: sensitive and selective, with great sound. I also have a Drake R8, which is a fine receiver, but the R70 is my go-to rig for MW and SW, both DX and casual listening.

The lack of direct entry is a drawback, and the noise blanker has little effect. But I quickly learned to live with those two shortcomings. I considered an R71 to get direct entry, but I'd heard so much about reliability issues with that model that I decided to stick with the R70.

I don't know how many other owners this R70 has had, but it's in fantastic condition cosmetically and operationally. In fact, the build quality, along with performance, were two major reasons why I decided to switch to Icom for my next ham rig: a 7700.

N1VW Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2011 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great, SOLID rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a number of popular receivers, and the R-70 is one of the best. I like to DX low-frequency beacons and listen to shortwave broadcasts. Plug in an external speaker, and this rig sounds great. The internal speaker is ok, but a little inadequate. Nothing new there, most rigs are that way. The R-70 has a very solid look and feel. The controls are substantial, nothing flimsy on this radio.

I've compared the R-70 to my Icom R-75, which has the Kiwa mods. I find very little difference in the two radios. I'd give the R-75 a very, very slight edge in terms of sensitivity on some of the shortwave bands, but take that statement with a grain of salt. Anytime somebody makes a statement like that, you must realize that comparing two radios can be a very subjective thing, and can vary a lot depending on the listener, the frequencies, antenna, conditions, etc. Generally though, the R-70 performs about the same as the R-75, in my opinion.

I really like my R-75...it is the "standard" in my ham shack, a better receiver than even my 746Pro. The R-70 is a fine rig also, very solidly built, fine performance, no volatile memory to fail, no internal batteries to run down, and no stinking menus!

All-in-all, a good, solid and as they say, "lab-quality" receiver. If you find a good one, hang on to it, it will probably be working many years from now. 73.

F6GGR Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2010 07:58 Send this review to a friend
A nice little thing !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This receiver is a nice one. It is sensitive and do support strongs signals. It is not far behind a Kenwood TS850... I use it to listen from VLF beacons to 30 Mhz. The differents commands are of the same kind of these of my IC-730 so it is easy to learn how to use it and then you have all commands "under the fingers" and in your mind. I just don't like the "pre/off/att" switch which is uneasy to use. With an well choosen external speaker, it sound great on broadcast and SSB. I think that the internal speaker can be changed and/or improved. And it does not have any of these bloody menus i hate and always forget ! A good purchase !

73 from Alan

FPX77 Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2009 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent recever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought an used R70 on 1986 to replace my FRG7700 ,and I was surprised by the very good performances;very sensitive,strong front end,good stability,good audio.Even with long antennas no overloading occur,even on 49m band on evening!All I can heard on my SP600 was heard on the R70,on weak stations the FRG7700 gave only noise.I had the opportunity to compare it with a JRC NRD 515 on the same antennas,there was no noticable difference.Since more than 20 years no problem occured with this set,it is a last production (1984).Now I have fitted a Kiwa filter on AM,and the famous FL44 on SSB,the results are very good.I have put an external speaker and the sound is very good.I keep preciously this receiver with my 2 FROGS (FRG7).
This set is a very good value,however avoid early production (1982) and prefer last (1984).

N3WXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2008 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am giving this receiver a 5. I am not comparing it a present day receiver. This is a good all around general receiver. I use it with the Icom IC 7072 interface. It allows me to use it with my IC-720a in split mode. I like the receiver in the R-70 just slightly more than the IC 720a. The noise floor is low. My R-70 has narrow filters installed . I use a beverage antenna for it .I like the built in speaker just fine. Pass band tune and notch work perfectly . I do most all of my HF listing with this receiver . I keep my transceivers. coupled up to my shacks computer on the DX cluster

I am just as happy using this receiver as any of my current day transeivers. TS-2000,TS-570,FT-990,IC 706.
My old receivers are NATIONAL NC-98,NC-77X,HALLICRAFTERS SX-99,HEATHKIT SB-303, DRAKE R4B.
73 de ED

OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2008 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Really a Keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do not repeat the comments before, just the following:
First about I had really a lot of RX, from FRG-7 to the NRD-535, so I can compare.
The R70 has really fine filters for SSB and CW, but a very cheap and bad one for AM. So the serios DXer should modify this. Because there ist not much space inside, possible itīs better done by the dealer. KIWA offers filters which can exchanged easily.

The R70 tolerates also very long antennas, great!

I also suggest to do the KIWA-Audio-Mod. Here the cheap capacitors were exchanged to high quality ones for studio equipment with the same values.
The mod for switching on the RX-Amplifier for Mediumwave can easily be done (only cutting one wire), but I do not suggest to remove the built in Mediumwave-Attenuator, because it has only abt. 3DB attenuation and cannot be reached easily.

So, especial after the mod for the AM-Filter (I prefer abt. 4 KHz at 6DB because so the passbandtuning is working great), this RX is, regarding to the performance, very short behind the NRD 535, but much cheaper and therefore very recommandable!

K4RO Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2008 17:40 Send this review to a friend
25 years and still working great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an IC-R70 in 1982 while I was still in college. At the time, I thought that I had died and gone to receiver heaven. A quarter century later, it is still going strong. While it lacks some of the features of modern receivers such as memory channels and DSP, the IC-R70 remains a very useful utility radio today. Features I especially like include the front firing speaker, wide range pass band tuning, and a very effective notch filter.

There are some quirks as others have pointed out. The archaic synthesizer has some peculiar behavior at the band edges, but nothing that interferes with the radio's performance or frequency coverage. The radio is NOT computer controllable, as far as I can tell.

The R-70 was my first Icom radio, and I wouldn't be surprised if this radio is still working here two decades from now. It turned out to be a very good investment. The carry handle and 12V capability make it useful in a number of environments. Good luck finding an IC-R70 -- I am keeping mine. :-)

KPAX2 Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2007 01:32 Send this review to a friend
PROFESSIONAL GRADE LABORATORY EQUIPMENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sold my ICOM R75, I can't believe this receiver! SUPERB. QUALITY you can't find anymore!

KC0ZXB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a used R-70 with the the optional 250hz CW filter installed. I have owned a lot of Shortwave receivers over the past years that I have been in the hobby: Realistic DX160,100,200,300, Kenwood R-1000, Grundig S350, Icom R71A. I found this radio to be of great build quality unlike a few things on the later R71A. Even for a early-mid 1980's radio it could still hold its own against modern day radios with the exception of those several thousand dollar rigs with the built in DSP and such, and all they have is just more features, but the raw performance is roughly the same.

Pros:
Excellent sensitivity
Strong Front End
Excellent features such as: Passband tuning, notch filter, RIT, dual noise blankers, dual VFO's, three tuning steps, 10db preamp, Monitor, three stage AGC, dial lock, Ham and General Coverage tuning option, dimmer, squelch.

Cons: No wide/narrow filter switch, finicky around the edges of the mhz bands, no memories, no direct keypad freq entry, audio leaves some to be desired. Audio was remedied by using a 1/8" mono adapter with two PC speakers.

In all this radio is more sensitive than anything I have had before. A good buy if you find a clean one on eBay or any outlet. Anyone who says they cannot stand up to a newer or a rig that costs more has a screw loose in my opinion.