Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | W&W Associates Batteries, Chargers/Analyzers Help

Reviews Summary for W&W Associates Batteries, Chargers/Analyzers
W&W Associates Batteries, Chargers/Analyzers Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Battery Packs, Battery Chargers/Analyzers
More info: http://www.wwassociates.com/

You can write your own review of the W&W Associates Batteries, Chargers/Analyzers.

W3RPM Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2008 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Good cells inside a poor case.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a W&W Mfg. Battery at the Richmond, VA 2008 FrostFest. It is model WWL-FNB80. My radio is a Yaesu VX-7R. This is the water resistant, submersible HT. (I use the HT on with ARES tasks and while four wheeling, hiking, or on a boat. Water resistance is important.)

I probably should have inspected it closer at the HamFest and gotten my money back.

The first thing I noticed is that my stock Yaesu FNB-80LI battery has a rubber seal where it mates to the radio. The W&W does not have this seal and compromises the water resistance of the HT.

Fine, I'll just use this battery on dry land and reserve the stock battery for wet areas.

The W&W battery also has the tabs that hold the battery in the radio positioned slightly off. THe battery fits the radio, but it's tight and very hard to remove. One tab has already broken off. The other has stress marks in the plastic where it will break off if I use it any more.

When I did use it, the performance was the same as the stock battery. Both at 7.4 Volt / 1500 mAh.

I will try and contact W&W for a replacement or a refund.

I paid $40 for the W&W.
Stock Yaesu at HRO is $80.

K7ICU Rating: 3/5 Jul 5, 2007 19:00 Send this review to a friend
"OK"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had no idea that a "new" $60 battery pack from W&W would turn out to be a re-built, worn out pack complete with pry marks along the seams and scratched up contacts. I shipped it back and got it back in better condition, but still obviously used (and still not what I would consider a $60 value).

I also bought a W&W Master Charger 1 and found that it wouldn't charge a W&W (!) battery pack for an Icom IC-V21AT. The charge status LED just stayed orange. I shipped it back and got it back (over a month later) repaired and working. Quality control?

W&W never offered to cover return shipping costs and e-mail replies from their customer service aren't the most professional I've seen.

Now this is very much an opinion, and I'm not docking any stars for this, but when was the last time W&W revised their Master Charger 1 design? It's boxy shape looks totally un-sexy amongst 21st century gear. I almost want to hide it under my desk.

So what's all the fuss about?

W0FEN Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2006 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Great charger  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of their Master Chargers for several years now. They are great! You can leave a battery pack in the charger and it will NOT burn up the pack like other chargers do. I also own two of their packs for a HT and they are much higher AH rating than the original manufacturer for the same size. Still going strong.

K9XYZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2006 10:04 Send this review to a friend
NEED MOLD UPDATES  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Apparently W & W' s molds used to make the batteries are old. They may work on older versions of the TH-F6a but they don't on newer models. I have had two NEW Kenwood TH-F6a's in the last month and the W & W batteries move on both of them, however the stock Kenwood batteries are solid with No movement at all on either HT. I too like the drop in charger but can't stand it if the battery moves around during use of the HT.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2006 08:28 Send this review to a friend
They fit fine on mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the W&W Associates batteries and charger comination for my TH-F6A for almost three years. I own three batteries and rotate them as I use them up and then recharge them. All three of my batteries fit tightly and properly on my radio. Their capacity (1800 mA/hr) is also superb. I simply can't imagine why Kenwood didn't utilize this type of recharging system on their TH-F6A in the first place.

K9XYZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2006 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Poor fit on the TH-F6a  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried 3 different W & W 1800 mah batteries supposedly designed for the Kenwood TH-F6a. They do charge up and power the HT and the drop in charger is nice. However, they do NOT fit the rig properly and allow for movement on the HT which gives the rig a Cheesy cheap feel to it. I don't care for my battery moving at all. The stock Kenwood battery fits very snuggly and has NO movement what-so-ever giving the HT a very soild brick feeling the way this expensive HT should feel. I give them a 2 only because the drop in charger is nice and seems to work well, too bad I never use the batteries because they don't fit properly!!

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 06:20 Send this review to a friend
SUPER!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first did business with W&W a few years ago. Always pleased. I recently bought the Universal Rapid Charger and 1800 battery for my Kenwood TH-F6. W&W is running a special (see QST Magazine) and I got charger and hi-capacity battery for less than $100 (including shipping). Great deal! Battery recharges in about 1 - 1.5 hours. Battery and charger perform flawlessly. The Universal Charger can be used with about any HT (you just buy the matching "cup" for your particular need). And, the charger can be used as an HT stand - while operating in the shack (with external antenna). You can't beat this special & you can't beat their products. I have never been anything but happy with W&W!

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2006 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a UC-1 and a few Lithium Ion batteries for a Kenwood TH-F6A, and the system works nicely.

The charger uses custom charging cups so it can be used for any number of HT brands and models. The price is very reasonable compared to manufacturer models from 10 years ago, I believe.

It also stays put. Unlike the new Yaesu charger, VAC-370B, where you can pick up your charger by lifting your VX-170 since the fit is so tight, the WW charger works with a nice spring loaded mechanism that's not going to tear the chrager apart like the Yaesu will someday due to its absurd friction fit.

WW was very glad to OFFER me the package deal even though I found out a few weeks after the offer theoretically expired.

That is RARE in my amateur radio experience.

AA2YS Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2006 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Equipment seems fine, but they don't tell you...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a UC-1 universal charger and new NiMH pack for my TH-D7a recently. No complaints about the battery performance. I do find it rather annoying, however, that they don't mention their replacement packs don't come with belt clips compatible with the originals. So now I need to place another order for a belt clip - which, at $10.00, must be made of gold.

N8XWT Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2005 15:11 Send this review to a friend
EPB-22N  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in 1993, I bought a battery from these guys for my Alinco DJ-580. I used it all the time and it worked great. In 1995, I put the radio, and the rest of my ham gear in the closet for 10 years. I'm just getting back into the hobby and I can't believe it, this battery still works and holds a charge. These guys make a heck of a battery.