Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | MFJ 1278BT Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1278BT
MFJ 1278BT Reviews: 20 Average rating: 2.2/5 MSRP: $310
Description: it's mighty fine junk!!!!!!!
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1278BT

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1278BT.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2008 08:14 Send this review to a friend
5 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only problem is the lack of software for this TNC. Other than that, it works well for packet and RTTY. After I bought it in 2003, I ordered the MFJ-44 filter board so that I could use it for RTTY signal tuning. It works very well with my SM-220 scope. Now I have the option of FSK or AFSK for RTTY. Here in the MA area we also get the Coast Guard reports on NAVTEX and AMTOR. No problems in that area either.

As always, the important thing to do is to READ THE BOOK!!!!

AD5JN Rating: 1/5 Nov 22, 2004 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for VHF (not much good for Pactor HF)  Time owned: more than 12 months
The LM-7812 gets way too hot and will burnout. This modem is junk for use with Pactor HF. Very hard to tune. Painful! Using anything else for HF would be better. For VHF it works fine. however, for the money, Use a TNC-X for VHF and save yourself the trouble of replacing Regs.
AD5JN

KA2UUP Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2004 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Works well! Not perfect, but well.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't understand the problems people have with this thing. I don't use it for SSTV (I use a soundcard) or fax. However, I use it for AFSK RTTY (I use HamScope 1.54 in FSK mode for primary communications with a soundcard) once in a while, for PACTOR, VHF packet and NAVTEX reception. I use the HyperTerminal program from Windows XP to control it and it and works well. I checked the alignment of the tones before putting the thing to work and they were fine, not as steady as a sound card, but acceptable enough to do decent transmision and decoding.

The procedures outlined for alignment at http://www.qsl.net/ke4mob/ are a help to simplify things. I put to work the MFJ-44 oscilloscope adapter and this helps (after calibration, of course) in checking the alignement of the tones. It also helps in checking incoming RTTY signals, no matter the software you are using, which helps in tuning incoming signals even when using a soundcard for RTTY.

As to RFI, I have found that if you use the shielded cables as recommended by another poster RFI can be reduced. This is not a big problem. Best solution is to shut it off when you are not using the unit anyway.

Overall, it does what it is supposed to do.

Bert @ KA2UUP

KC4IVG Rating: 0/5 Jun 18, 2003 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Avoid it like the Plague!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

Dont even think about it....Tried two new ones and was disappointed both times. Not worth the Cardboard box they came in. Buy a KAM or AEA....I did!

KG4PFO Rating: 0/5 May 23, 2003 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Junk is my vote  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Noise and more noise....JUNK....Buy a KAM and get yourself a fine working pc. of equipment

V73GOD Rating: 0/5 May 23, 2003 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned this B model for a long time and finally sold it. After using a KAM and a PK-232 I see what I was missing .. ouch. The MFJ was hard to tune and the manual was poor at best. I sold it for dirt and still felt bad. Just too noisy to ever work right .. sound card RTTY is far superior to this monster.

KV3A Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2003 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have all the big name tnc's, the MFJ works as well and in some cases better than most (PK-232).
No RFI if you use shielded cables, and do not use the same power supply for tnc and radio. The ground loops created by using the same power supply are bad for any tnc. Nice full size tuning indicator, runs cool. More modes than most. All modes work fine. It's a keeper. If you buy a used tnc beware, as you may need to realign it. Seems many folks seem to feel the need to adjust everything, then give up and sell units. The MFJ tncs are easy to realign, with scope and freq counter. Only wish it would do pactor 2.

G4EDY Rating: 1/5 Mar 18, 2003 08:35 Send this review to a friend
EMC Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Poor EMC performance, broadband HF noise using 1278 with a Toshiba laptop, no noise present when using a Tiny2 with the same laptop.

Bottom line is; if you need a TNC the 1278 is an expensive option. Best solution these days is a soundcard and let the software take the strain!!

N3MVF Rating: 2/5 May 15, 2002 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Sad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the MFJ 1278 for a few years. Always had problems with tuning, sensitivity etc. I didn't realize how bad it was until I bought a used PK-900. It's embarrasing that I spent the money on a new MFJ 1278 several years ago. Like others, I went with MFJ prices....live and learn.

N2JBP Rating: 2/5 Mar 31, 2002 00:56 Send this review to a friend
Average Modem at Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased many years ago. The thought of operating "mutimode", ten years ago was exciting. Getting on these modes, however was an excerciser of sheer frustration. I know that its not cool in the hobby to admit a lack of technical knowledge, but thats what I and thousands more hams have. The instruction manual of this thing must have been written by a PHD in engineering and was impossible to comprehend, adding to the frustration. VHF packet was fine. Self generating RFI did prevent any decent HF packet, although RTTY seemed to work above the "hash".