Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | MFJ 1278BT Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1278BT
MFJ 1278BT Reviews: 20 Average rating: 2.2/5 MSRP: $310
Description: it's mighty fine junk!!!!!!!
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1278BT

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1278BT.

AB0TJ Rating: 2/5 Mar 11, 2002 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but not great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this a few weeks ago-- and I have a PK-900 coming to replace it already. Works good on VHF packet (but that's not hard to do at all) and works ok on other modes-- if you can hear the signal over this thing's horrible RFI. I wish I had kept my KPC-3 for VHF and just have gone with the PK-900 in the first place. And don't even bother with SSTV-- just use your soundcard. No need for a TNC for SSTV nowadays anyway. That was probably a good feature 10 years ago.

SM0RWO Rating: 1/5 Mar 11, 2002 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Get something else  Time owned: more than 12 months
My main problem with this unit is RFI. I've got
ferrites everywhere and that helps somewhat.
It drifts and needs finetuning, it's pretty good
at some modes when it's been properly tuned and
the signal is stronger than the RFI the unit
generates. Cold/warm environment will strongly affect the tuning, wait for it to get warm.

The signal analysis is a joke (it's NEVER correct).

The circuit board, the box and it's connectors clearly show that MFJ does not know squat about radio in general and RFI in particular.

KE4MOB Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2001 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Needs TLC!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for 7 years (The B model). Unit has always has worked good--but to really get it humming you have to get "under the hood". It has been mentioned that SSTV is poor (which I agree) on this unit, and the unit is drifty (which I agree)--IF you have to run it AFSK. Run the unit in FSK or tune the tones! See http://www.qsl.net/ke4mob for details.

Multicom for Dos is lousy....and the Windows version of Multicom can be had as shareware (email me for the link!!) or do an ftp search on skyrider. exe. All in all, it does everything I need for a TNC to do.

WB8NUT Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2001 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cannot understand some of the other reviews. I have owned this unit for over three years and it works great except for SSTV which is crap in my opinion. I wonder if that is due to the Multicom software which sadly needs to be updated. The unit works great on packet and pactor and RTTY. Have not tried it on Amtor since that mode is primarily dead.

KE5GK Rating: 2/5 Jan 3, 2001 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Over Priced & Over Hyped  Time owned: more than 12 months
This marginal unit was a major factor in my departure from the digital ham world.

MFJ owes the ham community an apology because of this turkey.

I even tried installing the DSP board which didn't help anything, just MFJ.

I am trying to work up my courage to take this unit to a hamfest. I'll keep the van running while I sell it!

KE5GK

K2CF Rating: 3/5 Apr 16, 2000 18:36 Send this review to a friend
mfj 1278b on sstv  Time owned: unknown months
fired it up for first time on sstv hams said i noise on signal any other guys have same problem

N4ZOU Rating: 0/5 Apr 16, 2000 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Junk  Time owned: unknown months
I bought one several years ago. It never did work properly. I also bought the multicom software. That was also a mistake. It got sent back 3 times and it came back 3 times with the same problems. Drifted like a cold boatanchor. After getting a PK-232MBX I found digital operations great fun.

N4EF Rating: 2/5 Apr 16, 2000 08:49 Send this review to a friend
MFJ, Go away I say, I say. Yes, go away MFJ.  Time owned: unknown months
I did no research before buying a TNC.
Now I know that it hurt me.
I bought the MFJ.
(The 1278b, by the way).

The manual is cloudy, when it say "ping" it means "pong"
I can't give it away, even for a song.
The others said, buy KAN, buy KAN!
Let me tell you, (as fast as I can),
the price was right, but the purchase was wrong.

I'll try again another day,
I'll get on Pactor another way,
but you can bet your bippy, let me say,
It sure as heck won't be MFJ.

W9JCM Rating: 3/5 Feb 19, 2000 00:20 Send this review to a friend
DONT BUY IT  Time owned: unknown months
This unit bought new is junk. It throws hash from its processor into my rig. So itook it over to a pals house and the same thing 5s units thats crap. I will buy a Kam or 232 anyday. I sold this thing fast.

KB8TRK Rating: 3/5 Oct 28, 1999 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Adequate Multi-mode TNC  Time owned: unknown months
I purchased a MFJ-1278BT at a hamfest several months ago. It was a good deal that I couldn't pass up. To this date it has performed almost flawlessly. The only problem encountered is when it temporarily lost all memories, including my callsign. A simple cycling of the power switch corrected the problem, no big disaster. It has worked well on RTTY, Packet (HF & VHF), AMTOR, and PACTOR. I have not used the FAX or SSTV capabilities of the unit. The CW capabilities of this unit are fair, but perfect copy of CW is rare for any decoder that I am familiar with. The only complaint so far is the 2400 bps "Turbo" mode is useless to me, everybody around here is using either 1200 or 9600 on VHF. MFJ is now making a DSP add-on for the unit. I am contemplating the upgrade.