Reviews Categories | Digital Multi-mode decoders | MICROLOG AIR-1 Help

Reviews Summary for MICROLOG AIR-1
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $G&G Electronics
Description: Plug-in cartridge for the old Commodore 64 computer
More info: http://k3dua@erols.com

You can write your own review of the MICROLOG AIR-1.

N6SPP Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2014 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid (1980's)TNC  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow-
I purchased an Air-1 circa 1984 at HRO Oakland and initially connected it from the C64 to a Grundig Satellit 1400 and FR-101 rcvrs for rtty, fec and cw hf-utility decoding. In 1988, I interfaced it to my Drake twins for rtty 2 way q's.

73, Eric n6spp-anchorage

K4LIX Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this Microlog AIR-1 (for the C64) for many years and have used it on and off during that time. Licensed for 55 years now and much of that time dedicated to RTTY, I decided to use it for Field Day with my C64 (also works with the C128, which I also have) and the 1702 color monitor. Teamed it up with my Kenwood TS-590S and made 71 RTTY (true FSK) contacts for Field Day 2014 (KE4FD, 3A, NFL). Excellent results and absolutely no complaints - check our Face Book page for many pictures or check my QRZ.com page. 73 de Jim, K4LIX nnnn

K3GM Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2012 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Amazing little module for its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is purely for nostalgic purposes as the AIR-1 and Commodore computer have long been out of production. I obatined my AIR-1 module right when I was trying to figure out what to do next with my Commodore VIC-20. I wasn't much into "Peeking" and "Poking", and had grown tired of early computing. The Microlog AIR-1 was just the thing to rejuvinate my interest. The unit plugged into the back of the VIC. It was much larger and heavier than the game cartridges, and hung ungainly off the back of the keyboard. The bare PC board was visible and had two large rubber feet stuck right to the PCB which leveled and stabilized the cartridge. I remember not having much room behind the keyboard with it and the cables hanging off the back. The AIR-1 one did an amazing job of RTTY and could also decode CW as well. I made many RTTY contacts, and even dabbled in a few contests with it. My recollection was it had a small volatile memory where the contents were lost when powered down. It also featured a tuning "eye" on the display screen, and would immediate begin decoding RTTY once it was tuned correctly. It was quite an amazing little device for the early 1980's, and I remember working lots of overtime to afford it without damaging my family budget. It has sat unused for decades in a drawer, but I can't bring myself to toss it. Perhaps someday, it and the VIC-20 will make their way out to Dayton.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2002 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Best Decoding Algorithms  Time owned: more than 12 months
The decoding algorithms and digital filtering used at Microlog are the best in the business. These are pre-DSP, so it was all machine code processing in real time. Even though it was running at the snails pace clock of a couple Mhz, they were very effective in copying both RTTY and hand sent CW. The only down side is that they're not produced any more and that they only fit the obsolete Commodore C-64 computer. I have run side by side comparisons with just about every competitor at the time and can state that the little AIR-1 will outperform them all. It's performance is all due to the programming ability of the guys at Microlog who wrote the operating code. (They conversed in machine code! It was erie to listen in on their conversation. " Lets JSR to SUB1 and EXC the PIA". ???) I guess with all the new digital modes, Clover, PSK-31, etc. The AIR-1 could be considered and antique, but if you've got an old "64" laying around, this is a perfect use for it.