Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-500M Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-500M
Ameritron ALS-500M Reviews: 46 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $799.00
Description: 500W Output Mobile Solid State Amplifier on 12VDC for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-500MR

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-500M.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2014 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice small amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was hesitating between this one and the Tokyo HL-450B but the recent bankruptcy of THP left me with only one choice...However i did find that the construction quality and initial feeling was quite
acceptable.No loose screws or anything (HI).
I am using it in a base station configuration with a deep cycle battery and charger.While it's rated at 500w and more, i am driving it with 40w and get a good clean 400w out.Seems well suited for my portable operations.

WD8DBY Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this amp for use with MARS...works great with no issues. Definitely doesn't care for SWR. Simple to use...turn it on, select the correct band and go.

AK4NJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well it's been more than a month since my original review of the ALS 500M and ARI500 interface (The Icom Patch cable are a big plus when it comes to band switching and operation. Factory cables are available for Yaesu , Kenwood and others) I didn't see any horror solder joints or shoddy work,We did have a problem, it seems that a pot on the power supply.board that caused all of the problems with the band selector on the front panel as it mimicked a misaligned selector switch.

I had bought the amp for mobile operation, and after running her from the shack for emergency radio operations during the fall storm, what can I say?? - She worked like a charm - and honestly there she has been ever since - it's nice to have a no tune amp that comes to life with a quick flip of the switch...

Thank's to Rod and the Boys at DX Engineering - for the fantastic customer support and service - First Class Operation Always..

ALS-500M ARI-500M 5 Points
DX - 5+ Points
Ameritron service = 2.5 points

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2012 03:12 Send this review to a friend
Just works...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased and installed the Ameritron ALS-500m about two weeks ago.

It was purchased new from DX Engineers. This is my first Amplifier ever. I installed it in my SUV. The ALS-500m was placed in the rear of the vehicle and was connected to an axillary battery of the same size as my SUV. The axillary battery and the vehicles battery are connected and fused with 4 AWG wire. I did this as my vehicle's alternator only produces 80amps and a larger alternator isn't feasible. I have my IC-706MKIIG's body also installed in the rear or the SUV next to the ALS-500m. For an antenna I'm using the Tarheel 40a-HP. The Ameritron has been working flawlessly and has really made mobile hamming a whole new experience. The ALS-500m runs cool and behaves as designed. (Im also using the remote head for the ALS-500m) Like others have said "maybe I just got lucky?" You can see photo on QRZ.com

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp all around!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one used on ebay just over a year ago that was 2-3 years old, seller didn't like it and had issues with it. I did NOTHING to it, used it almost daily, and never had one issue with it at all. I just sold it to a good friend in TN and he reports no issues. Hmmmm

Since I'm retiring very soon, I bought a new one that I hope will last me for many years. I am using an LDG AT-600ProII tuner with both amps, and it just couldn't be easier.

I highly recommend this amp to anyone.

KB6LED Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2012 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Worknig great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine new through DX Engineering (at a good price) about 2 months ago and the only issue was the SWR protection circuit was activating with not much reflect. So I called Ameritron and they told me to make adjustment to a potentiometer on one of the boards and with a little playing around it now has been working flawless, and have had great reports on the Air with it. so far I have been very happy with it.

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 12:35 Send this review to a friend
No complaints!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must have gotten lucky, I own two with no problems. My first one has over 2 years of daily use in our 2005 Cavalier. My commute is 84 miles, so it gets a few hours every week. I purchased it in February 2010 from Associated Radio for $739.

Plan on purchasing the ARB-704 $59.95 option which is a plug and play relay box and the needed cable for about $18, as you can not hard key a amp safely without a buffer relay.

I found that driving amp around 30-35 watts mobile is all that is needed to get almost 350 watts of output power . You can drive it to 55-60 watts but the difference in extra output is not there and the amp overdrive protection circuit will kick in .

I ordered a 2nd amp in July 2011, and have never had an issue with it either. I bought it for our Coachman motorhome, but I actually use it as a base for times I need it as NCS on USAF MARS.

WR0F Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 18:37 Send this review to a friend
ALS 500M working perfectly now...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok we got our ALS500M back from the factory and now it has worked perfectly for 1 month. They did find the issue inside the amplifier on the 2nd repair attempt.Relay inside amp was not making connection.
If you own a Icom 706 or 7000 plan on also purchasing the ARB-704I2 $59.95 option which is a plug and play relay box with the needed cable included as you can not hard key radio to amp without a buffer relay safely. Other radios might need the ARB-704 with seperate cable for your brand of radio. We did not have to use the included dc cord with our IC 7000's as the radio provided the voltage.
We found that driving amp around 30-35 watts mobile is all that is needed to get nice solid output power . You can drive it to 55-60 watts but the difference in extra output is not there and the amp overdrive protection circuit will kick in .
We did end up ordering that 2nd amp even with the issues we had for our 2nd car .
I might add that Ameritron would not extend my warranty from date of purchase to when I actually got a working model 50 days later as it was DOA from the beginning and a extra $40.00 in shipping cost .They wanted me to buy an extended warranty .

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2011 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Solid amp, easy to use!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this one (was used for 6 months) on "flea bay" w/10m installed. Fits in my setup well and has worked flawlessly since I first hooked it up. Used to have an 811H and just hated retuning all the time, but this one with an LDG AT-200 (just bought 600W model) runs at 250PEP with 15-20W drive from the IC-7600 on 10-80m. As with any amp, keep your ALC where it should be, and don't over drive it and you'll have no worries.

With my WA2NAN G5RV and 200-250W out, if I hear 'em, I can work 'em, Need proof? Check my QRZ logbook.

I love this little amp!

KB2OUA Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2010 12:41 Send this review to a friend
great performer ifused appropriately  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi from KB2OUA I have had my als 500m for 3 years and have had no problems with it at all. I did tho get it brand new and right out of the box, it pulled 100 amps of current and gave me a whopping 2 watts out. I was devistated, BUT Mike at Ameritron took care of me and replaced a few parts and said to me "you will be satisfied with your amp " and when I got it back ...perfect I do a lot of longwinded key downs on ssb, do am, rtty, cw and the digis. no problems and when using a stiff power supply and as a base amplifier it is great no need for a big amp the first 600 watts does the trick.As for mobile if wired correctly and not skimped on connections and use a good antenna the 500m will work very nice. ssb at 15.6 volts driving by my ten tec corsair 2 at 55 watts into the dummy load (heath k can) using my ten tec 238b metering I see 700 750 pep on 40 75 . I would buy another one for a spare in a heartbeat. Thanks Mike and crew aat Ameritron! KB2OUA