Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101ZD Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101ZD
Yaesu FT-101ZD Reviews: 42 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$895 (1979-198X)
Description: 180w (input power) SSB/CW/AM HF Transceiver covering 160-10 mtrs plus WWV. Hybrid solid state design incorporating tube 12BY7A driver and 6146B finals. Featured digital and analog display, variable IF bandwidth, noise blanker with threshold adjustment, and RF speech processor, selectable AGC. Considered by some to be the peak of the FT-101 Series.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101ZD.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Still Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just got my father's (N5BKT - SK) FT101ZD put back into almost new condition at Houston Amateur Radio Supply. They did a super job at a very reasonable price.

Brought the old gal home and powered her up. It is easy to forget the great performance of these old hybrid radios. I have to say that the sensitivity and audio quality are easily a match for anything you can buy today. Mine is a MKII so it doesn't have the WARC bands, but it is still a joy to operate. There is something about tuning a tube rig up that just brought the memories flooding back. The XYL came in the shack (I have to share a spare bedroom with her sewing stuff) and she asked what put that silly grin on my face. After listening and watching for a few minutes, she was grinning too! (She is K5YUM)

Owning a great old rig is great, but operating one is priceless.

Z31GH Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 00:59 Send this review to a friend
the workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wasnt experienced when i bough this rig. This was my first rig and i am using it 5 years. My first impression was.."Ok, old and cute, i will use it some time before i buy a bether one". My longest distance calls were Australia and Japan with only 100W from the Republic of Macedonia. I used a simple dipole antenna, and i reached allmost every country. I know there are much bether rigs now, but i will never give it away. One of the reasons that i give a 5 is because this radio gives you the chance and room for reparations, because its simple. This rig have a sensitive receiver, and the radio doesnt need big maintenance. This rig is something like Kalashnikov AK47, it will never jam, and never dissapoint you

G8WWD Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2014 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Superb Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my FT-101ZD a couple of years back and what a rig it is! It may be 31 years old, but it can hold its own against the modern rigs. Having been around for many years, this is what I call a "real radio". In fact when I got it, I soon ended up selling my FT-950, as it just wasn't getting used any more! The FT-101ZD is FAR more user friendly than any modern menu driven rig. Plus with a built in PSU, you just plug into the mains and connect an antenna and earth. No need for messy 12 volt cables and separate PSUs.

We all do far more listening than we do transmitting and the 101ZD receiver is superb. I don't have a large garden for antennas, but the 101ZD does just fine with a half size G5RV in the garden, plus 10 and 15m wire dipoles in the loft. Receive audio quality from the internal speaker really is superb and far superior to most modern rigs, even when you attach an external speaker to the modern ones!

On transmit, I often find that in a pile up, I am heard very easily, often on the first shout thanks to the clarity of the transmit audio and despite me only using the original basic fist mic, I always get excellent audio reports. No need to spend a fortune on Shure or Heil mic.

I've never been a CW fan, so as I don't use it, I can't give any review of the rig on CW. I do use the rig for some PSK now and then, although it is not my favourite mode and it runs just fine using my SignaLink USB. OK so you don't have any computerised rig control, but who needs it? I certainly don't miss it.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2013 14:38 Send this review to a friend
VA3MLV updated review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well my Yaesu FT101ZD MKIII is still performing flawlessly every time I flip that power and heater switch, mainly used on the higher HF bands with a vertical omni and a Mosley 3 element Tribander. Puts out a little over 100 watts on all bands, nice DX cutting thru modulation with desktop mic but most importantly is the receiver in this transceiver it always seems to amaze me over other stations nearby that are not as close with there reports back to the same contact. It does not have the best type of filters for tight band interference but there's enough to do the job but back to the receiver , it is great especially because of being a preselected receiver you get a manually adjusted recieve on all bands. These radios are not just for anyone , you have to appreciate the quality and workmanship. Allot of operators still own these radios for a reason but like I said there not for just anyone. If you come across one but make sure you know which model it is so you know what you have they are great radios for the experienced hands on operator. I will never ever get rid of the one I have , it's my first HF transceiver I got and learned how to operate a tubed type piece of equipment " after reading the manual " many times until I was comfortable to start touching the transceiver but like I said these transceivers are not just for any operator especially if your just starting off in the hobby and your not really patient cause its gonna take time with this rig but once you got it all understood and using it on a regular basis after that you will be able to tune any linear or transceiver with tube finals without having to call someone to come and do it for you every time , I know a few operators still today who have to get someone to come and tune there linear for them which is pretty funny if you think about it. Point is great transceiver in my opinion hands down even though its a oldy but a really really goody. Got pics on QRZ.com. 73

SV1WS Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 04:36 Send this review to a friend
STILL WORKING PERFECT  Time owned: more than 12 months
29 years ft-101zd mk2. The CATERPILLAR of transceivers, still working perfect!!

NICK DE SV1WS

WP4OEK Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2013 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the MKII version. This radio is Rock Solid !! RX is outstanding !! TX is great.

W9CLL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2013 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Where has this been all my life  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I admit it I am a short time owner of a ZD but I have falling in love with it. What ears has this thing got! Big clear audio and super receive; what else can you ask for? Oh sure she drifts till it warms up but hey I drift till I warm up too.

Excellent rig and if you can get one, well in the words of Ferris Bueller.. it's so choice I highly recommend picking one up.

Now to get working on the 901DM I just inherited

F5TZN Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT-101ZD performance is very good for 25 year transceiver ,and probably will run another 25 year,very easy to repair .
See the FT101zd restoration on my blog.

G8KNJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Classic   Time owned: more than 12 months
Paired with a Yaesu FC-902 ATU and Shure 444, it dont get much better!

M0TWA Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Mine is a Z, but every bit as good as a ZD  Time owned: more than 12 months
check out my short video

They are clocking on in years, but for sheer fun and the experience of doing a bit of plate and load you have got to have owned one of these grand old tranceivers at least once just so that you can say you have done some REAL RADIO!!...you can pick these radios up at very reasonable prices now..and as someone else said..these things are fixable..real components used in them..not a surface mount component or menu in sight..awesome!!..best advice..see one..buy it!!