Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-101ZD Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101ZD
Yaesu FT-101ZD Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$895 (1979-198X)
Description: 180w (input power) SSB/CW/AM HF Transceiver covering 160-10 mtrs plus WWV. Hybrid solid state design incorporating tube 12BY7A driver and 6146B finals. Featured digital and analog display, variable IF bandwidth, noise blanker with threshold adjustment, and RF speech processor, selectable AGC. Considered by some to be the peak of the FT-101 Series.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101ZD.

WP4OEK Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2013 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the MKII version. This radio is Rock Solid !! RX is outstanding !! TX is great.
W9CLL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2013 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Where has this been all my life  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I admit it I am a short time owner of a ZD but I have falling in love with it. What ears has this thing got! Big clear audio and super receive; what else can you ask for? Oh sure she drifts till it warms up but hey I drift till I warm up too.

Excellent rig and if you can get one, well in the words of Ferris Bueller.. it's so choice I highly recommend picking one up.

Now to get working on the 901DM I just inherited
F5TZN Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT-101ZD performance is very good for 25 year transceiver ,and probably will run another 25 year,very easy to repair .
See the FT101zd restoration on my blog.
G8KNJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Classic   Time owned: more than 12 months
Paired with a Yaesu FC-902 ATU and Shure 444, it dont get much better!
M0TWA Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Mine is a Z, but every bit as good as a ZD  Time owned: more than 12 months
check out my short video

They are clocking on in years, but for sheer fun and the experience of doing a bit of plate and load you have got to have owned one of these grand old tranceivers at least once just so that you can say you have done some REAL RADIO!! can pick these radios up at very reasonable prices now..and as someone else said..these things are fixable..real components used in them..not a surface mount component or menu in sight..awesome!! advice..see it!!
PA1PXL Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Still high quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do have some 'old' radio's like 101's and TS-830.
My ft-101zd mk3 is a very good performing radio from early eighties. Audio on both transmit and receive is very good. Easy to repair (if needed) nice exposure and build like a tank. This is how a transceiver should look.
VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Great blast from the past...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a MkIII version which I believe is the last version of the 101ZD. All the toys of the era and it still competes with the current stuff. Great rig.
26JLH Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 15:06 Send this review to a friend
good solid radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
very good fitted with wrong crystals i.e 11 meters i removed those duds and put 10 meters back in.
radio works well new valves fitted puts 120 watts on my dummy load nice reciever nice condition.
this is the mk3,i also have got a cw filter comming of 300hz.
what i like is its got a digital display and a shift and with control and fm for 10 meters.
looks in good condition apart from haveing to change crystals and clean the hole thing up.
looks like a real radio as well nice vfo no where in the gearing this radio has not seen a lot of use front unwarn case a few marks but still very good for almost 30 years old.
reciever is nice and clear transmit is very good to the processer is pants i will never use it i have been told it sounds a bit wooly.
this radio is one of yaesu,s better offerings and is well worth a buy i got this for 235.00 pounds uk.and i think i have done ok as it was fitted with 2 new 6146b brimar valves...tnx jeff ...
OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 03:45 Send this review to a friend
A pleasure to use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a FT-101ZD MK3 with the original CW-Filter and the SP-901 Speaker and also a FT-101ZD MK1.
In my opinion a hobby MUST make fun, otherwise it has no value. So I must say, this old FT-101ZD really makes fun! This is my second one, and the only thing I had to do is to clean all (!) contacts and relay. Itīs also an easy task to align the receiver sensitivity because of the good instructions in the service manual and the built in signal generator.

Now it has the same sensitivity as my new FT-950. In CW mode I like the FT-101ZD (with CW-Filter) even more because all the DSP-Radios I could try have a harsh digital hiss when using a narrow bandwidth. This is annoying for my ears when listening on the CW-Bands for a longer time. The FT-101ZD instead has the soft and smooth analog hiss, much less annoying.

Of course the FT-950, a rig which I really like, has all possibilities of modern rigs, but in daily practice most of them I do not use.

Therefore I enjoy this old FT-101ZD, it is big and heavy, funny to use, real metal knobs and a big VFO-wheel, interesting to align the tubes, an in warm orange illuminated S-Meter and digital readout, repairable and a good overall performance.

Vy 73! Herb
KJ4MNX Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2011 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Superb transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read an article on about "classic" transceivers and bought my first Yaesu FT-990 as a result. I was not disappointed; it is a fine transceiver. Then I heard about the "dc to light" Yaesu FT-897D and purchased one of these; again, a fine piece of equipment. Both of these transceivers are all solid state and both have TCXO's (temperature controlled crystal oscillators) and are VERY stable frequency-wise. But when a used FT-101ZD MkIII appeared on Ebay, I couldn't resist it. It was an unmolested (no CB modifications performed)unit. The transmitter didn't power out, but a new 12BY7A driver tube and a pair of used 6146B's put new life in the transmitter...I got 130 watts out on 20 meters first time out. The receiver was nothing short of splendid; excellent sensitivity and crisp audio...better than the FT-990 and FT-897D even with the stock 4" speaker. But, the audio output diminished after a few hours and I had to use earphones as a stopgap measure. An inspection of the audio circuit board (PB-1964A) revealed 3 "leaking" electrolytic capacitors(orange "gunk" at the base of the capacitors) in the final audio amplifier circuit. I replaced a 100, 220, and 470 mfd capacitor and voila', the audio came back to life. These Yaesu FT series radios are over 30 years old and leaking capacitors are to be expected. Just get yourself a maintenance manual (free download at ""), a soldering iron, and a hand full of replacement capacitors and your FT-101 will come back to life...just take your time and be patient. It is well worth the effort. The high "Q" circuits in these solid state receivers are a joy to behold and the cost of these "Fox Tango" radios is a bargain on the used market. Be on the lookout for some spare vacuum tube finals; treat them with respect and these tubes will last for years. And finally, these radios just look like a transceiver should look! The beautiful center tuning dial, S-meter, die cast front panel, and all the controls are things of classical beauty...back to the days of early vacuum tube radios, Charlie Chan movies, and young men with their first crystal and the behavior of electrons was a great mystery back then!