Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-101ZD Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101ZD
Yaesu FT-101ZD Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$895 (1979-198X)
Description: 180w (input power) SSB/CW/AM HF Transceiver covering 160-10 mtrs plus WWV. Hybrid solid state design incorporating tube 12BY7A driver and 6146B finals. Featured digital and analog display, variable IF bandwidth, noise blanker with threshold adjustment, and RF speech processor, selectable AGC. Considered by some to be the peak of the FT-101 Series.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101ZD.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2013 14:38 Send this review to a friend
VA3MLV updated review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well my Yaesu FT101ZD MKIII is still performing flawlessly every time I flip that power and heater switch, mainly used on the higher HF bands with a vertical omni and a Mosley 3 element Tribander. Puts out a little over 100 watts on all bands, nice DX cutting thru modulation with desktop mic but most importantly is the receiver in this transceiver it always seems to amaze me over other stations nearby that are not as close with there reports back to the same contact. It does not have the best type of filters for tight band interference but there's enough to do the job but back to the receiver , it is great especially because of being a preselected receiver you get a manually adjusted recieve on all bands. These radios are not just for anyone , you have to appreciate the quality and workmanship. Allot of operators still own these radios for a reason but like I said there not for just anyone. If you come across one but make sure you know which model it is so you know what you have they are great radios for the experienced hands on operator. I will never ever get rid of the one I have , it's my first HF transceiver I got and learned how to operate a tubed type piece of equipment " after reading the manual " many times until I was comfortable to start touching the transceiver but like I said these transceivers are not just for any operator especially if your just starting off in the hobby and your not really patient cause its gonna take time with this rig but once you got it all understood and using it on a regular basis after that you will be able to tune any linear or transceiver with tube finals without having to call someone to come and do it for you every time , I know a few operators still today who have to get someone to come and tune there linear for them which is pretty funny if you think about it. Point is great transceiver in my opinion hands down even though its a oldy but a really really goody. Got pics on QRZ.com. 73

SV1WS Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 04:36 Send this review to a friend
STILL WORKING PERFECT  Time owned: more than 12 months
29 years ft-101zd mk2. The CATERPILLAR of transceivers, still working perfect!!

NICK DE SV1WS

WP4OEK Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2013 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the MKII version. This radio is Rock Solid !! RX is outstanding !! TX is great.

W9CLL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2013 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Where has this been all my life  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I admit it I am a short time owner of a ZD but I have falling in love with it. What ears has this thing got! Big clear audio and super receive; what else can you ask for? Oh sure she drifts till it warms up but hey I drift till I warm up too.

Excellent rig and if you can get one, well in the words of Ferris Bueller.. it's so choice I highly recommend picking one up.

Now to get working on the 901DM I just inherited

F5TZN Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT-101ZD performance is very good for 25 year transceiver ,and probably will run another 25 year,very easy to repair .
See the FT101zd restoration on my blog.

G8KNJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Classic   Time owned: more than 12 months
Paired with a Yaesu FC-902 ATU and Shure 444, it dont get much better!

M0TWA Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Mine is a Z, but every bit as good as a ZD  Time owned: more than 12 months
check out my short video

They are clocking on in years, but for sheer fun and the experience of doing a bit of plate and load you have got to have owned one of these grand old tranceivers at least once just so that you can say you have done some REAL RADIO!!...you can pick these radios up at very reasonable prices now..and as someone else said..these things are fixable..real components used in them..not a surface mount component or menu in sight..awesome!!..best advice..see one..buy it!!

PA1PXL Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Still high quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do have some 'old' radio's like 101's and TS-830.
My ft-101zd mk3 is a very good performing radio from early eighties. Audio on both transmit and receive is very good. Easy to repair (if needed) nice exposure and build like a tank. This is how a transceiver should look.

VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Great blast from the past...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a MkIII version which I believe is the last version of the 101ZD. All the toys of the era and it still competes with the current stuff. Great rig.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 15:06 Send this review to a friend
good solid radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
very good fitted with wrong crystals i.e 11 meters i removed those duds and put 10 meters back in.
radio works well new valves fitted puts 120 watts on my dummy load nice reciever nice condition.
this is the mk3,i also have got a cw filter comming of 300hz.
what i like is its got a digital display and a shift and with control and fm for 10 meters.
looks in good condition apart from haveing to change crystals and clean the hole thing up.
looks like a real radio as well nice vfo no where in the gearing this radio has not seen a lot of use front unwarn case a few marks but still very good for almost 30 years old.
reciever is nice and clear transmit is very good to the processer is pants i will never use it i have been told it sounds a bit wooly.
this radio is one of yaesu,s better offerings and is well worth a buy i got this for 235.00 pounds uk.and i think i have done ok as it was fitted with 2 new 6146b brimar valves...tnx jeff ...