Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101ZD Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101ZD
Yaesu FT-101ZD Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$895 (1979-198X)
Description: 180w (input power) SSB/CW/AM HF Transceiver covering 160-10 mtrs plus WWV. Hybrid solid state design incorporating tube 12BY7A driver and 6146B finals. Featured digital and analog display, variable IF bandwidth, noise blanker with threshold adjustment, and RF speech processor, selectable AGC. Considered by some to be the peak of the FT-101 Series.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101ZD.

M0TWA Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Mine is a Z, but every bit as good as a ZD  Time owned: more than 12 months
check out my short video

They are clocking on in years, but for sheer fun and the experience of doing a bit of plate and load you have got to have owned one of these grand old tranceivers at least once just so that you can say you have done some REAL RADIO!!...you can pick these radios up at very reasonable prices now..and as someone else said..these things are fixable..real components used in them..not a surface mount component or menu in sight..awesome!!..best advice..see one..buy it!!

PA1PXL Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Still high quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do have some 'old' radio's like 101's and TS-830.
My ft-101zd mk3 is a very good performing radio from early eighties. Audio on both transmit and receive is very good. Easy to repair (if needed) nice exposure and build like a tank. This is how a transceiver should look.

VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Great blast from the past...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a MkIII version which I believe is the last version of the 101ZD. All the toys of the era and it still competes with the current stuff. Great rig.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 15:06 Send this review to a friend
good solid radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
very good fitted with wrong crystals i.e 11 meters i removed those duds and put 10 meters back in.
radio works well new valves fitted puts 120 watts on my dummy load nice reciever nice condition.
this is the mk3,i also have got a cw filter comming of 300hz.
what i like is its got a digital display and a shift and with control and fm for 10 meters.
looks in good condition apart from haveing to change crystals and clean the hole thing up.
looks like a real radio as well nice vfo no where in the gearing this radio has not seen a lot of use front unwarn case a few marks but still very good for almost 30 years old.
reciever is nice and clear transmit is very good to the processer is pants i will never use it i have been told it sounds a bit wooly.
this radio is one of yaesu,s better offerings and is well worth a buy i got this for 235.00 pounds uk.and i think i have done ok as it was fitted with 2 new 6146b brimar valves...tnx jeff ...

OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 03:45 Send this review to a friend
A pleasure to use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a FT-101ZD MK3 with the original CW-Filter and the SP-901 Speaker and also a FT-101ZD MK1.
In my opinion a hobby MUST make fun, otherwise it has no value. So I must say, this old FT-101ZD really makes fun! This is my second one, and the only thing I had to do is to clean all (!) contacts and relay. Itīs also an easy task to align the receiver sensitivity because of the good instructions in the service manual and the built in signal generator.

Now it has the same sensitivity as my new FT-950. In CW mode I like the FT-101ZD (with CW-Filter) even more because all the DSP-Radios I could try have a harsh digital hiss when using a narrow bandwidth. This is annoying for my ears when listening on the CW-Bands for a longer time. The FT-101ZD instead has the soft and smooth analog hiss, much less annoying.

Of course the FT-950, a rig which I really like, has all possibilities of modern rigs, but in daily practice most of them I do not use.

Therefore I enjoy this old FT-101ZD, it is big and heavy, funny to use, real metal knobs and a big VFO-wheel, interesting to align the tubes, an in warm orange illuminated S-Meter and digital readout, repairable and a good overall performance.

Vy 73! Herb

KJ4MNX Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2011 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Superb transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read an article on Eham.net about "classic" transceivers and bought my first Yaesu FT-990 as a result. I was not disappointed; it is a fine transceiver. Then I heard about the "dc to light" Yaesu FT-897D and purchased one of these; again, a fine piece of equipment. Both of these transceivers are all solid state and both have TCXO's (temperature controlled crystal oscillators) and are VERY stable frequency-wise. But when a used FT-101ZD MkIII appeared on Ebay, I couldn't resist it. It was an unmolested (no CB modifications performed)unit. The transmitter didn't work...no power out, but a new 12BY7A driver tube and a pair of used 6146B's put new life in the transmitter...I got 130 watts out on 20 meters first time out. The receiver was nothing short of splendid; excellent sensitivity and crisp audio...better than the FT-990 and FT-897D even with the stock 4" speaker. But, the audio output diminished after a few hours and I had to use earphones as a stopgap measure. An inspection of the audio circuit board (PB-1964A) revealed 3 "leaking" electrolytic capacitors(orange "gunk" at the base of the capacitors) in the final audio amplifier circuit. I replaced a 100, 220, and 470 mfd capacitor and voila', the audio came back to life. These Yaesu FT series radios are over 30 years old and leaking capacitors are to be expected. Just get yourself a maintenance manual (free download at "Foxtango.org"), a soldering iron, and a hand full of replacement capacitors and your FT-101 will come back to life...just take your time and be patient. It is well worth the effort. The high "Q" circuits in these solid state receivers are a joy to behold and the cost of these "Fox Tango" radios is a bargain on the used market. Be on the lookout for some spare vacuum tube finals; treat them with respect and these tubes will last for years. And finally, these radios just look like a transceiver should look! The beautiful center tuning dial, S-meter, die cast front panel, and all the controls are things of classical beauty...back to the days of early vacuum tube radios, Charlie Chan movies, and young men with their first crystal receivers...life and the behavior of electrons was a great mystery back then!

KC2VDM Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 18:30 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm now a general class licensee and have gotten beautiful signal reports on all bands.

This radio is a true performer and is DAMN good looking! It's hard to beat the blue/black front panel, shiny FT-101ZD nameplate, and The knobs.

so many knobs!!!!!:-)

KU2US Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2010 01:23 Send this review to a friend
A REAL RADIO!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the FT-101ZD. I cant believe the functions on this rig-rivals some of the newer stuff. A big hybrid boat anchor-with power. I get about 150W out on 20m. Yeah I know, the plate, loading, drive, all the tuning, but thats half the fun! I just bought one second hand in good condition for a back up rig, for when my mini rice box bites the dust. Its quiet, sensitive, and I get the usual fantastic audio reports with a Shure 444 mike. Bagged a KH7 barefoot into a Par-20m end fed longwire, from here in NY. Nothing now days can match the quality of these hybrids. They were made to last, solidly built, and if you blow the finals, just change a tube! The modern rigs do have more toys (DSP et) but for a starter rig or a back up, or even a main station rig, for the price you just cannot compare the performance vs the dollar spent, to the newer $$$$$ rigs. This ones a keeper. $250.00 to $400.00 on ebay. The days of the FT-101's and the TS-520's are gone, but there are more of these hybrids still in service than any other solid state rigs I can think of. Would I sell my solid state rice box for a hybrid? No, I am spoiled, but when push comes to shove, I know the old gal is ready to go if needed.

KB3SEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2009 20:58 Send this review to a friend
need i say more?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you've read the other reviews, you know it's a great rig and I have to agree.
However, it is getting old. Mine was built it March 1979 and it's showing it's age. It does need repair, but I'm hoping it's a simple fix.
This is my first HF radio, and... of course it's taken it's share of abuse from a learning ham quite well, I suppose... I suggest reading the manual before you plug it in if you've never operated an HF rig. If you don't have a manual...GET ONE. There's alot more to it than these newer VHF/UHF radios.

..anyway, it's a great rig to start with (low cost, forgiving to a new ham, simple parts) and a great performer.

K4IQT Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2009 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, easy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best rice box I've ever used!

I still regret selling my FT-101ZD Mk I several years ago, but the Wyoming ham that bought it is probably having a great time with it. During the ten years or so that I owned it, this rig provided excellent and reliable service, fine audio reports, and many enjoyable QSO's on SSB and CW. The receiver is stable and quite clean, and does very well in a multi-station FD environment. The transmitter, with its tube-type driver and finals, is a joy to use. We get spoiled with our broadband finals these days, but the 101ZD's 6146's were very tolerant of tuneups. You just had to keep a dummy load and antenna switch handy, and keep a record of your mike and drive levels and your final tank settings for each band segment.

I'll probably get another FT-101ZD in the near future, preferably a Mk III with its WARC bands. It'll make a well-bred companion to my Ten-Tec and Elecraft rigs.