Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Proset Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Proset
Heil Proset Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $130.00
Description: (missing—add Description)
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/ProSet.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Proset.

N2ERN Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2002 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
No problems here, but I prefer my BM-10 for comfort.

Heil will take back your old BM-10 and "repair" it for a song ($30 or 35, I forget, exactly). My basket case unusable set came back "like new" (actually, new), and it was like seeing an old friend after years of separation.

But the Proset keeps more noise out. Each has its place.

KF5JQ Rating: 2/5 Mar 20, 2002 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Over priced, poor quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very poor design that has many mechanical problems. I had this head set for 8 years and had to perform maintence on it many time. My aviation headset for my passenger cost about the same, sounded better, and has been thrown around the car and airplane is much better.

I finally sold this for half of what I payed (a deal for me) and went back to a desk mic and headset.

CT1BWW Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2001 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Contest,Dxpedition everywhere  Time owned: more than 12 months
This Headphones are so good, I decide to have 2 pairs . With HC4 on the MIC , I use 1 in the schak for Dx'ing and contesting, the other pair is for Dxpeditions.
You can also to change parts of the Headphone and it's very easy.
I'm really very happy.

K1VV Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2001 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had the Heil Pro for several years.
Used in many contests. It is excellent ...
We have had no problems.

KH6DC Rating: 0/5 Jul 1, 2001 05:47 Send this review to a friend
PIECE OF JUNK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OWNED A PROSET 5 FOR ABOUT A YEAR. THE TWO EARCUPS FELL OF THE HINGED PORTION OF THE HEAD STRAP AND TORE THE CONNECTION OFF. TRIED TO REPAIR BUT FOUND THE PLASTIC HINGE WAS CRACKED. WORKED MANY PEOPLE STATESIDE FROM HAWAII AND COMPARED WITH ICOM SM-20 MIC. WITH THE GAIN ADJUSTED FOR EACH WITH ABOUT THE SAME MIC LEVEL OUTPUT, ALL OF MY TEST STATIONS (10) SAID THE ICOM MIC SOUNDED BETTER - CLEARER, MORE BASS, CLEANER; AND, MORE COPYABLE THAN THE HEIL PROSET.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A DESK MIC SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUR BRAND OF RADIO, E.G., ICOM, KENWOOD, TEN-TEC, ETC., AND BUY A GOOD PAIR OF HEADPHONES LIKE AKG, SONY, KOSS.

YEAH I KNOW, THE BOOM MIC AND FOOT/HAND SWITCH IS CONVENIENT BUT THAT WON'T HELP SOUND AND/OR SPEECH QUALITY NOR WILL IT FALL APART AFTER A YEAR'S USE, AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES.

73, AH6OK

N0ODK Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2001 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent with service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually owned three sets. The first set I left in Vietnam for Hau (3W6LI), the second set traded with a friend (W0OXB), and the third set is the new HC#6 for ICOMs (not released yet). I am very hard on these sometimes and had problems to with them. Bob Heil himself helped me out and then exchanged my mic for the HC6 ICOM mic to boot. It works great and DX with it many times. I use it while in Vietnam and other small DXpeditions.
Product works great and Bob and others at Heil give excellent service. If you go on DXpeditions or chase DX, it is very good.

W0PPK Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2001 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does not get any better, period!

WL7M Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2000 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Value - Great performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the Heil Proset with the HC-4 element for years and have found it to be
very comfortable over the long haul in DXing, contests, and rag chewing alike. The
HC-4 element does have some additional "punch" to get me through the pileups and
bag another new country. I've worked 188 countries in the past 4 months. As a fairly
"rare" location (there are a lot of hams out there who have never worked Alaska), I
spend hours on the air with the Heil Proset passing out contacts - nice to be on the
other end of a pileup! With the new IC-756Pro, I can tailor the audio a bit to offset
the "squeaky" sound another reviewer alludes to. Overall, I'm very pleased with the
equipment. In my 40 years as a ham, I've come across none better. 73, WL7M

WD4NGB Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2000 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Great light weight,comfortable boom set  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many mics and head sets over the years. and find the Proset to be the BEST
choice for serious DX/Contesting. After even 8 hours of constant use, my ears do not hurt
at all. The head set is so comfortable, that I have even forgot that I had it on, and got up from
the chair and walked away, and had them pulled off my head by the cord.

There are some boom / headset combinations out there that are built stronger, but they are
not near as good for long use. If you only operate for 1 hour maximum, it doesn't much matter what you use. For long, comfortable use, the Proset wins easily.

K5TR Rating: 2/5 Apr 27, 2000 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Great mic - headphones are a joke.  Time owned: more than 12 months

The mic element in the Heil Proset is very good - either the HC4 or HC5.
I have used them both over the years and I currently use an HC5 on my
homebrew headset. The headphones are not very good. I wish Heil
had spent half as much time selecting headphone elements as they did
selecting mic elements. The headphones do not sound good. I want
the headphone to reproduce all of the audio coming from my radio as
fathfully as possible - these just don't do that. The physical construction
of the Proset is subpar - headsets take alot of abuse over time and I have
seen more broken Prosets then I can count. The most common failure
is for the ear cup to break off of the headband. I have used/abused
other quality headphones and never had them come apart like the
Heil Proset I have owned. It is too bad there are not more choices
for headsets. My solution was to make my own headset - by getting
some high quality headphones and combining them with the Heil
boom mic from my dead Heil headsets. If it were not for the good mic
element I would give this product a 1 or 0 rating.