Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Lafayette HE-80 Help

Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $130-150
Description: General coverage reciever,
calibration for ham bands +
50 Mhz

You can write your own review of the Lafayette HE-80.

KF6WND Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2017 15:59 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful radio in its' day.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a 70 year old man. As a youngster in 1961 I cobbed together a single band 2 tube short wave receiver and enjoyed it. We lived in New York City and every Saturday my father took me to the Lafayette Radio in Jamaica New York and he would find himself a corner to read his paper while I spent hours in the ham radio room. Eventually I managed to save about $20.00 and I made up my mind to buy one of the regenerative multiband receivers. I announced to the sales person what I wanted and I took out my $20.00. He looked at my father reading the paper. After putting the paper partially down my father looked at the sales man and told him to wrap up the HE-80 receiver. I about died. When we got home I still had my $20.00 plus this beautiful receiver. I loved this radio and it was with me in college. While my father is long gone I still have this receiver in my shack. It was truly a wonderful radio. I have worked on it from time to time. I will turn it on for about 30 minutes in standby, then I enjoy using it. It can't compare to today's radios and I don't expect it to. I give it a 5 because it was just that in my youth and now in my heart. Perhaps my father is still with me inside this wonderful receiver. I hope so!

WB5OXQ Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2011 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good but needs work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this receiver on Ebay in June of 2011 and it came to me in near pristeen condition with the original manual. This radio is much more stable than the previous model it replaced. This also has a built in 6 meter converter that does work. I have done a complete alignment on this radio and it performs fairly well but has a avc problem that i will be working on. I suspect some old paper capacitors and I will replace them. The filter cap has already been replaced so there is no hum. After I finish the restoration work i will write another review but at this time it shows a lot of potental. It does not drift as much as many tube sets I have used in the past. Perhapps the regulated B+ helps. This receiver has all modes am fm cw and ssb though I may never need the fm mode unless the high end of 10 opens up or maybe on 6 meters. I am able to copy some ssb on 6 meters now but on a poor antenna not tuned for 6.

N4UE Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2002 10:18 Send this review to a friend
I loved mine, but poor performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, maybe 3 is a bit generous, but 2 seemed too harsh. 2 1/2 would be good.
I bought this radio brand new when I was a novice. My Dad drove me to Lafayette Electronics in Nadick, Mass. (spelling?). I bought the matching speaker as well. Boy, was I ever excited to unwrap that baby and hook up the antenna! I had been using a Hallicrafter S-120 before this. I thought I was in Ham heaven. The radio was (is) impressive in size, weight and tube count. Since all the wiring was point-to-point, I was very impressed with all the colorful and neat components........ One thing that Lafayette used that I wish Drake (and others) would have, is the wire tube retainers. OK, I understand these radios had to come from 1/2 way 'round the world, but many a high end US radio, I have fixed by pushing in a tube, just a little. The spring clips keep enough force on the small tubes that I have never had a problem with one. Sure cheaper than a tube shield... I digress.....

Appearance. The brushed aluminum and green paint of the front panel was very nice. Clearcoated also. Ahead of their time there. Knobs had nice 'skirts'. The large glass tuning scale was easy to read, and marked every 5 Khz (if I remember). Both the main tuning and band spread were flywheels. That was nice!

Performance. I realixed that it wasn't too stable, mechanically. I would let it warm up for a long time. Then it was fair, as long as you didn't bump the radio or touch the glass face or the radio would detune. As a kid, I didn't know any better and thought all radios were like that. I had a real education coming.
Since the receiver is single conversion, it has poor image rejection / sensitivity on the higher bands. The built in converter (tube type) for 6 Meters actually worked pretty good. I made my first phone contact on 6 AM (using my T-150 transmitter). Although I did not have the HA-350 to do a side by side comparison, I 'thought' the 350 would be better. The HE-80 served me well during my Novice years, giving me many contacts. This was my first Product Detector radio and I was really impressed with that. I also added a outboard Lafayette HE-73 preselector/converter. This matched the radio and added another rf amp, but more importantly, it added a conversion stage which altogether, made the radio come alive. I lent it to a buddy who promptly transmitted into it, but being tube type, it was easy to fix.

One day, I had had enough of the mechanical instability. I acquired an epoxy (reminds me of J B Weld) and glued the glass face to the front bezel of the radio. From the inside it looked awful! From the outside, you couldn't tell anything was different. I went completely around the outside of the glass. This was an amazing improvement! After I got out of the Navy, I had an unheated shack back in Mass. One day, I realized the glass front had split from top to bottom, right down the middle. I guess the designer new more about expansion properties than I did. ha ha

Conclusion: It was a wonderful radio for a Novice back in 1963. It's a dog by todays radios, for sure. However, for nostalgia reasons I will buy another for my collection. Osterman rates it '2 stars' and it's value is $60-90.

thanks for letting me ramble. Great memories!

ron