Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | SGC Factory Repair Service Help

Reviews Summary for SGC Factory Repair Service
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: SGC Factory Repair Service
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC Factory Repair Service.

KE0ZT Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2013 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Helpful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Years ago, I purchased one of the first SG-230 ATU QMS systems. I had to phone them for some help, and they were very generous in helping me optimize my installation. Now, many years later, I had a part that had deteriorated from weather exposure. They no longer stocked any of the parts for this particular system, but the tech emailed me precise instructions for how to make the repair. I really appreciated this.
I can understand the frustration some of the other reviewers have had, but especially now after so many years, the company may not always be able to help on this older equipment. In my case, they seemed to do whatever they could to help.

N8TJC Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2010 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Good Service So Far  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I shipped my used SG2020A2DSP back to the factory for some much needed cleaning and adjustment. The only real problems with the radio were the jury rigged power cord and antenna wire. I had been told I was sounding scratchy but I figured that was just a bad antenna. Yes guys, it cost me $165 for the service but since I do not pretend to be a radio tech I figured I should leave it up to the real service techs. I will not apologize for not attempting the work myself.

The radio came back in great shape. First, it was packed in a new box and shipped back inside my original shipping box. The radio was well packed and when I opened it up I had to check the serial number to make sure they had not sent me a new radio. I am very impressed with the care the radio was given and just the cosmetic upgrades that were done by the technician. They sent me a new microphone to replace the well worn old one. The power cord and antenna lead had been replaced. I hooked the radio up and got good reports on it. The scratchy noise was gone according to a couple of friends who I chatted with. Right now I am very pleased with the work done by the tech and have no regrets sending it back for service. The turn around time was less than 3 weeks. I glad I got good service because I realize it can be a "crap shoot" sometimes.

REMOVED_NQ0N_2015-01-12 Rating: 1/5 Jan 8, 2010 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Three trips for the same repair. Still broken.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My new used SGC 2000 Power Talk Would not transmits on either side band. It does transmit CW.
I called SGC and they have a $500.00 must fee for repairs but they will fix anything for that. (so they said) When I got it back it transmitted on both CW and AM but not SSB That was trip number 1, So I sent it back again, It came back in the same condition. That was round trip number 2. I was told that the radio transmitted just find. It did not. So I sent it back again, trip number 3. same result.
I put the radio on the bench for CW as it will not transmit on SSB. An awful price to pay for nothing.
I find today’s SGC to either inept or incompetent. The contrdiction is that they did once make good radios. Its a real tumble from their glory days. I like these radios. This 2000 is my second one plus I have the 2020, and two sg 239's I hope they get it together.

WA4VJC Rating: 0/5 Nov 1, 2006 14:02 Send this review to a friend
It just keeps getting worse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sent my sick MAC-200 in for service. A flat fee $150 + shipping both ways for a total of $165 to repair a unit that cost $249 new. They say it will be turned around in 5 to 15 days, I finally called a month later "oh, yeah, we were going to call you, it had a lightning strike and needs a new $80 PC board, whats your credit card number?" Well, I guess they are trying to make a few dollars off the service dept! Its a litle odd that I had a lightning strike because: 1) my antennas are all indoors!, 2) All radios/computers/ and other devices are surge protected and have not shown so much as a blink! hmmmmm how could that be???

I just love these people, they commented that it is unusual for someone to send a tuner back for servie....like...duh! When you charge as much to repair a tuner as buy a new one!!!!

It sure looks like the old SGC is dead and gone, the new owners obviously dont have a clue.

I have a new 2007 MFJ-998 tuner on order, the folks from Mississippi aren't perfect, but they have good service, reasonable prices, and dont play the amateur radio service for fools!

If you have had service like this from SGC, please email me at WA4VJC 'AT' yahoo.com
Bob
WA4VJC

N4VSD Rating: 0/5 Jul 22, 2006 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Cost way too much  Time owned: more than 12 months
For many years I have used and praised SGC products. Each time I needed repair (not very often) SGC would repair my SG-230 for a reasonable price. Not anymore! Be prepared to pay half of retail for the repair and forbid a main board replacement at another $150 on top of the base price. Most companies provide a repair service usually at a loss because that is the cost of providing good customer service and retention. Apparently SGC's interests are in the commercial market and the amateurs should go somewhere else. I am.

K7NNG Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2006 10:34 Send this review to a friend
excellent technician  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not being familiar with the rig, even after reading the manual several times, thought I had taken a lightning static hit. called to get a return authorization, and a tech came on and talked me thru a reset. Not bad service if you ask me.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2004 22:42 Send this review to a friend
As good as it gets!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had trouble with a new SG-2020 right out of the box and was a bit disappointed. But the SGC factory folks got it back to me in a week working perfectly! I was very impressed by the friendly and courteous way in which my problems were handled and the fine turnaround time. I live 3000 miles from the factory and I stil got my rig back in a week! In my opinion SGC ranks right up there with Ten-Tec for qaulity of service. It is nice to deal with people who take this much pride in their products and value their customers so highly. I will not hesitate to recommend the SGC factory folks to anyone and will be buying more of their products too! It is nice to know there are still American made products that you can depend on with factory servicing second to none. I had a bad experience with Icom and have sworn off all their gear. It's great to be able to brag about and to be able to support an American company again!! The little 2020 is the most fun radio I have had in 34 years on the air and that coupled with a fine factory service department makes me a very happy customer.

K4AAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2003 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Positive experience with SGC factory service center  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently, I had my SGC2020 upgraded to the ADSP and re-aligned. The work was time a week ahead of schedule, the estimate was adhered to and the radio even looks better since the upgrade. Though this was not a comprehensive service I think SGC should be applauded for their quality of work, professionalism and ability to stick to their estimate. If you have an SGC unit and you have difficulties I feel comfortable in refering you back to SGC.

Seventy-three.

NA5XX Rating: 3/5 Aug 31, 2002 20:56 Send this review to a friend
What did they do?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my SG-2020 in for service do to the fact that it was showing a 50 mHz display. They said they would repair, upgrade the firmware and add ADSP. All was done very well but there was no info provided as to why I got the 50 mHz display and what was done to fix it. Great and timely repair, but I would like to know what was done to fix and maybe what caused it.