Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola GP300 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola GP300
Motorola GP300 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $800.00
Description: 2 - 8 - 16 channel VHF of UHF Handheld transceiver. 5 Watts of power.

You can write your own review of the Motorola GP300.

Z31GH Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2014 06:52 Send this review to a friend
OK, but not perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first handheld radio. Its solid and heavy, and maybe the best radio that Motorola ever builded. With 5 Watt, you can reach every repeater in your region. But i hate the Ni-Cd Battery. A good radio with old technology battery's, and you cannot program the frequency's with newer computers. This radio is ok not only for the beginner if you can handle the hell with programming the frequency's, or to pay someone to do the job for you. I have fun with this radio and i reached a repeater who is over 80 miles from my home, offcource the repeater is on one of the highest hills in my Country

G0YNM Rating: 3/5 Oct 27, 2013 07:40 Send this review to a friend
basic but solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have a slow enough PC the GP300 is ok if you get it cheap enough, many i have had have suffered water ingress and have been faulty, indicating they may have been misused or the last engineer failed to fit the seal gasket properly .. or both.
Compared to modern HTs they seem a little deaf, but a basic repeater monitor or for general use they're fine.
for UK use thy do 6.25 kc offsets too, so can still be used on some of the newer offsets.

The non-keypad have MDC1200 PT ID and DTMF functions, the MDC 1200 burst is either pre or post for PTT ID send.

Most are 16 channel sets, limited to 8 by a plastic 'bump' under the ch knob.

They scan
set ch 16 to 'scan' the channels in the scanlist and its a much more useful little set.
Not bad old sets, dont pay much for them though.
great cheap robust HT for general use.

KC2OBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2011 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little radio. Nice and solid with good audio, what Motorola radio doesn't have good audio???? I have one in UHF 16 channels or 15 channels with scan enabled. Primarily use mine to monitor local fire freqs and some of the local 440 machines, usually take this one out when I'm out working in the yard and what not, so I don't bang up the HT1250 that I own.

N5KGN Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2011 01:23 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my GP300 new in 1993. It was used primarily as a law enforcement portable, with 2M ham freqs programmed in as well. I retired ten years ago, and reprogrammed with all 2M and NOAA freqs. Works like a champ even after a few 'mishaps' that would have killed lesser equipment. I can still find accessories for it like the speaker-mike and replacement antennas. The expensive Motorola battery packs had good life, but the aftermarket one's usually don't. I have 3 other handies and prefer the GP300 for most local use.
Too bad that the radio requires a programming accessory to set it up. I built my own programming interface, but the Motorola shop used to reprogram it for me whenever I asked, at no charge!

SMORRIS281 Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2009 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Great range!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The GP 300 in my opinion, the best radio that Motorola has ever manufactured. this radio has lots of durability. I am an amateur radio operator and I can say that the VHf is perfect for hitting those distant repeaters. When I say distant, i mean distant like 9 or 10 miles.

The UHF is awesome for simplex. I also work security for a local hotel. The range so far is 1.22 miles. Although I suspect it will go close to 2. You can get these on Ebay for an average price of $50. Sometimes the seller will even program it for you for free!

I gor a couple off Ebay for that price and they work flawlessly. They may be heavy, but in law enforcement and security, if the gun jams up and you are caught without your mag light, this radio will probably save your life.

Motorola will never make a better radio.

LZ1NDI Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2009 02:14 Send this review to a friend
a wonderfull brick  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received mine (8ch VHF) as a gift few months ago. Replaced the battery cells with 1900mah GP industrials, programmed it at the local Moto dealer. Made in Germany in 1997.
After 2 weeks I was so impressed, that I sold my Yaesu VX-170 - just didn't need it anymore...
The GP300 has much louder RX audio, almost HI-FI sound, much better TX audio, substantially better range, unbelievably strong case...

Yes, it is big and heavy, and you need a PC to change the squelch setting... but I just don't care :)

N8EKT Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2006 16:43 Send this review to a friend
MADE RIGHT IN THE USA!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my GP300 every day.
made in the USA
Very tough very reliable.
One of the last motorola radio's made here.

KB1MMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2006 18:56 Send this review to a friend
excellant  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave this portable a 5 rating because it was my first peice of equiptment. I had a tough tme trying to program it at first but once i got my own rib from ebay it was smooth sailing, I then modifyed it to 16 channels (from 8) and it continues to work perfactley, but i did notice that you cant use all the features when its modifyed to 16 (mdc tones ect but the freqs went in fine) excellant rig and it is extremley rugged it survived many brush fires with no damage. 5 watts out

N2MWE Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2005 15:15 Send this review to a friend
SOLID!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my hands on one of these when we upgraded our radios at the job. Had it reprogrammed for a few ham frequencies. Radio is LOUD, excellent receive audio, and I've gotten no complaints on the repeaters from anyone.
Only reason for the 4 is the lack of available software. Motorola holds onto the RSS software very tightly...

HR2PAC Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2005 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Solid Radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sell these rebuilt for my commercial two way radio company here in Honduras, they are built strong and will take abuse. The only things I don't like about this rig is the lack of features (I am talking from a Ham radio user perspective) and the fact that you have to program them with a RIBLESS, Software and a PC. If you are a novice starting up you can end spending more money that what you bargained for, although for us commercial people that have all the gear to program and service these radios are a dream machine. You can pick this units in pretty decent shape on Ebay anywhere from $100 to $175, do not pay more than that. Anyway just my opinion I could be wrong 73's from HR lands.